Phones forum

General discussion

How can I sell my used cell phone?

by hibma2 / November 10, 2005 11:29 PM PST

My wife upgraded her LG cell phone and found some websites that will buy them through the mail. Has anyone ever used these places before? We found this site that has a bunch of them listed. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Are these sites legit?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I sell my used cell phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I sell my used cell phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recycling / Selling back cell phones
by mightyphung / November 11, 2005 5:29 AM PST

Some info on cell phone recycling (buy backs):

I've never done it myself, but I'm confident they are legit. But I did some research a couple of weeks ago, and the difference in prices can be really big for the better phones. A lot of mid-level phones will only get you $10-$15 though.

Unless your phone is really new (valuable), you don't risk much by sending it in, especially since they generally give you a free shipping label.

As for reputable names, the only ones I know of are charities and they don't pay you. and also Special Olympics.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by hibma2 / November 13, 2005 12:40 PM PST

They added some sites there... I guess we'll go with whatever pays the most. Anyone else used these?

Collapse -
selling cell phone
by yellowrose66 / November 18, 2005 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

can you tell me what sites you are looking at because I have a brand new (2 months old) Sanyo MM8300 I want to sale and I have no clue on what sites to go to. I don't want to try Ebay, because I hear they charge you a fee. If I am wrong please email and let me know. Also anyone interested in buying this please email me. My cell phone is red.

Collapse -
Texas girl - Where to look
by bigslikker / December 15, 2005 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: selling cell phone

Go to where the other person listed. I went to

and looked at the list. We sold ours to simply sellular (sp?) and they paid us right away. It wasn't very much money though. You need more information that what you have on here for people to know what you have.

Collapse -
by Valikhanov / March 7, 2006 11:13 AM PST

I sold a bunch of 'em on back in the day...

Collapse -
donate it - you can use it as a tax write-off
by wirelesswendy / March 2, 2006 6:31 AM PST

Donate your phone, rather than selling it, and you get a receipt for making a charitable contribution that you can write off. I'm pretty sure you can specify the amount the phone was worth on the receipt, so that way your sure you get your moneys worth.

Collapse -
so little net...
by jbroshear / March 5, 2006 11:29 PM PST

donating will yield you so little in tax deduction unless you lie about value... ebay all the way

Collapse -
there are companies that buy old phones,
by / November 22, 2005 3:30 PM PST

there are a lot of companies that buy old phones they fix them and sell it to low income countries
you can visit you might find someone there or just google

Collapse -
We buy used cell phones
by Cellular Salvage / November 22, 2005 4:09 PM PST

Check out where we pay top dollar for used cell phones.

Collapse -
try this website
by nokiaprinter / December 11, 2005 12:35 PM PST

i sold my lg phone 2 months ago with this website named , i received my cash in less than 30 days.

i have a great experience with them, great customer service, great prices and the most important, pay you on time Happy Over all they are a very good company.

Collapse -
Selling you phone - be careful
by coogdad / December 14, 2005 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: try this website

Just recently sold my phones, waiting for the payment to come. I have heard of some of the companies quoting one price, but paying another -LESS.

I'll keep the forum posted.

Collapse -
ebay will get you the most...
by jbroshear / March 1, 2006 4:22 AM PST

...if you advertise/describe it well

Collapse - works
by schaxe / June 2, 2006 9:03 AM PDT

I have used on two occasions and they have been reliable. I think the payment took like 33 days instead of 30 the first time, but it came almost a week early the second time and the amount was correct on both occasions. Responsive customer service.

Collapse - will not pay for phone or reply to inquiries
by bsperlazzo / April 14, 2009 3:56 AM PDT

After getting a purchase number online, I shipped my phone to However, I did not hear back from them. When I went back online to see why, I discovered that they will often "disqualify" a phone for any reason and not report back to the sender/seller. According to their terms as stated online, when a phone is disqualified, the company merely keeps it -- they do not return it or respond to inquiries about it. Their phone is always answered by a fax machine and they do not reply to emails or faxes. Evidently, I was supposed to send the dead battery with the phone, and when I did not, they kept my phone and refused to reply to my further inquiries and my repeated offer to send the dead battery so I could get paid. Do not use this company.

Collapse -
How can I sell my used cell phone
by PPTFletch / June 26, 2009 10:06 AM PDT

I had a friend recommend a site called Cycled Cells. The website is

I had two older Blackberrys and an iPhone 3G 8GB with a cracked screen. Not only did they buy the Blackberrys, they also bought the iPhone even with a shattered screen. I got the check quickly and was very satisfied.

Definitely recommend working with them!

Collapse -
Sadly these don't work well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2009 10:12 AM PDT

We have posts about such things. For most, just ebay, craigslist it and be done.

Collapse -
great site to sell your cell phone
by vegasjasont / July 7, 2009 8:01 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.