How To forum

how can i restore windows 7 from windows 8?

by jimderod / March 9, 2013 4:42 AM PST

how can i restore windows 7 from windows

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how can i restore windows 7 from windows 8?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how can i restore windows 7 from windows 8?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
That depends on what you used to back it up
by wpgwpg / March 9, 2013 4:47 AM PST

I'm afraid you've supplied none of the details needed to answer. Did you back up your Windows 7 system? What did you use? Do you have restore discs for Windows 7? Do you have an install DVD for Windows 7? Who is your computer manufacturer? Did your computer come with Windows 7 or something else? Is your computer Windows 7 compatible (some of the new ones aren't)? Do you have the Windows 7 drivers and install discs for your applications? Why do you want to do this? Have you tried Start8 or Classic Start?
Like I tell my wife, I flunked the mind reading course I took. Plain

Collapse -
Luckily ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 10, 2013 4:37 AM PDT

women are much better in mind reading (the minds of their husbands) than the other way around.

Collapse -
Kees, you make my neurons buzz :-)
by wpgwpg / March 10, 2013 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Luckily ...

After 48 years of marriage, I think I know why that is. They don't make up their minds until they absolutely have to at the last moment. Men are much more predictable, but if we don't watch out we'll be accused of being off topic. Grin

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Restore Windows 7 from installation media
by mistrette1985 / March 12, 2013 12:00 PM PDT

Sorry, jimderod, but restoring Windows 7 from Windows 8 is not an option. You didn't notice that if you had a previous version of Windows that is DOS-based, and have that version backed up on a version of Windows that you upgraded to (including Windows XP, which can be upgraded on a FAT32 partition), then you would uninstalled your upgraded version in order to use you previous version again.

For Windows 7, however, you need to restore it through the installation media, either from the retail DVD or your computer manufacturer. It is the only way!

Collapse -
Please clarify the specifics
by sonnystarks / March 12, 2013 1:44 PM PDT

Will Win 7 (upgrade disk) recognize Win 8 as a "qualifying previous Windows installation" or is a full version of Win 7 required?

I have a copy of Windows 98 SE (that is a "full windows version") in which I would just install over the copy of Win 8 and then "upgrade" to Win XP to "upgrade" to Win 7. However, how can one without the Win 98 disk accomplish the same thing WITHOUT any disk "full version" disks of previous software? Most of us have a copy of WinXX upgrade disks but, on a non-formatted drive, any upgrade disk will search for a "previous windows installation" before allowing the "upgrade" to proceed.

Collapse -
Re: upgrade
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2013 7:58 PM PDT

The first thing to do is to fully erase (with a program like KILLDISK or DBAN) the hard disk of the PC/laptop.
Then the easiest way is to install the full (retail) version of Windows 7.

You can try to install an earlier version of Windows (98), then upgrade that to windows (XP), upgrade that to Vista, then upgrade that to Windows 7. Then you would need a full install file of the first OS, and upgrade versions of the next.
But since it's unlikely you can install Windows 98 to this machine (too fast a CPU, too large a disk, motherboard not compatible) I think that will fail.

Why did you buy a Windows 8 PC if - for some undisclosed reason - you need a Windows 7 PC? Seemingly, installing one of the available start menu's to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7 aren't sufficient for you. That's by far the easiest (install one program) and cheapest (free or 5 dollar, depending on what you choose) option.

Collapse -
The "why" is irrelevent
by sonnystarks / March 13, 2013 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: upgrade

Respectfully, why jimderod wants to downgrade is irrelevent. He/she is asking "Can it be done?" I am assuming by your answer that you have tried it yourself and have found Win 7 will not recognize Win 8 as a "previous installation?"

In response to your question, "Why did you buy a Windows 8 PC if - for some undisclosed reason - you need a Windows 7 PC? " I would remind you that jimderod may not have had a choice as Microsoft will not usually allow a choice of the operating system on a new computer.

As far as your perspective of "Then you would need a full install file of the first OS," I would, again, respectfully submit to you that Win98 SE, is, in fact, a full OS for this purpose. I tried it myself and found one need not concern oneself with the computer's (too fast a CPU, too large a disk, motherboard not compatible) hardware as it is only a "primer coat" and need not function in any manner, just be loaded to be recognized as a "previous Windows installation."

Your statement "The first thing to do is to fully erase (with a program like KILLDISK or DBAN) the hard disk of the PC/laptop" is absolutely correct and serves as excellent guidance to jimderod's question.

However, jimderod did not ask for "the easiest way is to install the full (retail) version of Windows 7," as this would also be the most expensive way to go.

Again, he/she asked if it could be done.

Let me use this analogy... When we moved into our present home, we wanted to put "Sky Lites" on our metal roof. The contractor said, "Certainly. Almost anything can be done....for a price."

Of course, jimderod can downgrade (the easiest way- as you suggested) his/her OS... for a price."

I just don't think that's what jimderod was really asking. I could be wrong.

Collapse -
The answer is a definite NO
by wpgwpg / March 13, 2013 12:19 PM PDT

Not only can you not install Windows 7 as a "Qualifying previous version", but your computer may not be capable of running Windows 7 or any prior version of Windows under any circumstances because of things like UEFI which replaces the BIOS on some newer computers and lack of drivers. That is why you need to answer the questions I asked in the first reply to your question. Go back and read them and provide answers if you want help. We can't help you if you don't.
Bear in mind that both Start8 and Classic Start from 3rd party companies remove most of the objections people have for Windows 8. So before trying something risky and time consuming like pursuing Windows 7, you really need to try the simple, easy and FREE in the case of Classic Start.

Collapse -
Excellent Point!
by sonnystarks / March 13, 2013 2:59 PM PDT

You raise an excellent point as I had forgotten about the UEFI issue.

jimderod, I think this merits your answering wpgwpg's questions before this conversation can continue.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.