Peripherals forum

Resolved Question

How Can I Reset the Brightness on a S27C230B Monitor?

by warbrill / September 27, 2013 3:47 PM PDT

The manual on the S27C230B says I can adjust the brightness, but once it goes down, there is no "Up" button. I chatted with Samsung support, and they told me to use the + and - buttons. Umm, there are no + and - buttons. So I am told that once I turned the brightness down, there is no way to turn it back up. I did a reset to "factory settings" but the brightness didn't budge. What is the trick to turn the brightness back up?

warbrill has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Can I Reset the Brightness on a S27C230B Monitor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Can I Reset the Brightness on a S27C230B Monitor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by warbrill

Collapse -
This one is really quite easy. . .
by cbt-support / November 27, 2013 3:49 PM PST

Yes, there are only 2 buttons. But, if you keep pressing the "-" or "down arrow", brightness will decrease all the way down to 0 (Zero) and the start increasing one increment at a time back towards 100.

Problem Solved. . .

This is actually a pretty good 27" monitor for around $200.

Collapse -
Pretty good, marred by manual and support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2013 11:19 PM PST

I don't own it so I can only check the manual and at the time of the discussion the manual came up short. Your description is nice but when the maker and seller fail like this, they deserve the return.

Collapse -
Typical OSD setting
by Willy / September 30, 2013 3:23 AM PDT

On most newer monitors you have some access to get to the OSD = on screen diags(menu)

You then select brightness and use the +/- controls to set the level. Depending on yours, that may mean left-right or up-down buttons. Of course, there must be no actual damage to controls or brightness electronics themselves. If you had the brightness too long at high levels or simply accepted them "as is" which often is high it can burnout the electronics. Samsung, gee everyone sooner or later has issues with that brand.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
No + and - Buttons!
by warbrill / September 30, 2013 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Typical OSD setting

This monitor does not have + and - buttons. There is only a "down carat" and NO up. So once the brightness is turned down (following the manual), if I want to turn it back up, it isn't possible. Or so the Samsung support agent said. I find it incomprehensible that there would be a setting that can be lowered but not raised. If nothing else, at least re-flash the eeprom to its original full-on setting.
I have always liked Samsung products, and own quite a few. This has me really reconsidering.

Collapse -
The web page about this model is missing info
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2013 8:05 AM PDT

But how many buttons are there along the bottom. I wonder if there is indeed no up/down button but that MagicBright OSD issue.

Collapse -
Buttons on S27C230
by warbrill / September 30, 2013 2:03 PM PDT

There are two buttons, Menu and Power, which doubles as Down. I figured Menu might double as Up, but no, it does not. Nor does a combination of both buttons create an Up ... it's still Down. By the time I figured that out, the intensity was at 66 percent. There has to be a way to reset the brightness to factory. I'm still looking.

Someone from Samsung .. please weigh in. It's your company's reputation that's on the line.

Collapse -
There is a Samsung forum here
by Willy / September 30, 2013 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Buttons on S27C230
Collapse -
Locking Controls
by warbrill / October 1, 2013 12:58 AM PDT

Thanks for the idea. I ensured that the controls aren't locked. Still can't find how to raise the brightness. When you pull up the OSD menu, there is a down arrow and a right arrow in the menu display.

It's beyond counter-intuitive that Samsung would say "you can adjust the brightness" and then not have an "UP" button, or a button that can function as one.

Collapse -
Custom setting
by Willy / October 1, 2013 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Locking Controls

As I see it you need to goto the menu under Samsung magic Bright and select "custom" then set your levels. The others seem to be preset for best operation or so configured. If you can't under custom go up and down, then there's a fault as I see it. If there some save mode or exit that saves your custom setting, then be sure to do that. I don't see any other way around this for now. Of course, as I stated before no real h/w fault be part of this nagging issue.

manual page 36 section 3.1.1

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
I think the manual and web page need work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Custom setting

The MagicBright reference seems to show more buttons than the OP says it has.

This one is back to the supplier and maker to correct the issue with showing them how to use it or replacing the product.

Collapse -
Wrong forum. As noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Buttons on S27C230

As noted there is a Samsung forum and my company is not Samsung so get in the right forum.

I took the extra effort to check out the manuals and they were in my opinion too light.

But why keep it? It's not suitable to your use and the seller and maker have not helped you.

Collapse -
Thank You All for Replies and Advice
by warbrill / October 1, 2013 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong forum. As noted.

I believe I will return the monitor and purchase one from another manufacturer. Thanks to all who replied.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.