Computer Help forum

How can I repair corrupted Docx and PPT I recovered?

by lmaggie / March 1, 2013 8:39 PM PST

I put my USB memory stick into the Hotel Front desk computer to print a Word .docx file. Their computer initially did not recognize my USB thumb drive, so the guy pulls it out and inserts it into the other hotel computer. Not properly ejected. The second computer reads my thumb drive, but has not Office programs installed, so when I try to click it to open my file to print it, nothing. Computer starts to freeze up. Pulls out my USB thumb drive. Again, not properly ejected.

I get to conference, try to plug USB thumb drive back into my Windows 7 laptop (where I had just been working on my paper) and I get a number of errors.
1. My drive was unreadable and I get a little notification about some sort of drive or corruption error. I clicked on tihs notification but it dissappeared so I don't know exactly what it said. I close the computer and re-open it.
2. Now it reads my thumb drive, and I go into Word to do "Open recent" option and it says it cannot find my file.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 a few times, getting mixed results and the error messages that Word cannot find the file or that it is corrupted and Word cannot read it.
4. Run Semantac antivirus scan. It appears to "fix" the problem but I didn't see a report of what it did except it said it was "successful". Now my paper file does not appear at all!!! Gone! And, another file (powerpoint) which I had not even tried to open mysteriously disappears. All the other 100+ files on my drive appear to be fine.
5. I go back to hotel, reinsert my USB into both front desk computers and wait for them to properly eject it both times. My files are not all there, but I can see the temporary files are there when I insert it into these computers.
6. I ran Recuva on my computer and it says that it will recover both files. The Word document pulls up mostly jibberish and then the text of a completely different document (a student's paper that I opened and read like a week ago).
7. Powerpoint says "No text converter installed for this type of file."

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can live without the word document, but this Powerpoint was my presentation for my next conference in a week. ARGH!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I repair corrupted Docx and PPT I recovered?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I repair corrupted Docx and PPT I recovered?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: recovery
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 2, 2013 9:13 PM PST

It's fully OK to remove a USB-stick you haven't written to without properly ejecting it. So that can't be the cause of your issues.

All that rests is to repeat our old saying "You only lose what you didn't backup." So, assuming you don't have a backup, you've got one week to recreate that Powerpoint.

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 2, 2013 9:16 PM PST

there are lots of programs that claim they can recover corrupted Officd documents. Since I don't have any personal experience with any of them, I can't give a recommendation. So I leave the googling to you.
Just one tip: only pay after you're sure it works for these documents.

Collapse -
Great tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: And ...

I've tried a few of those over the years. Not one restored the files to how it was before the corruption.

Seems strange to me to work on something so hard and only have one lone copy on a device that can break or get lost.

Collapse -
How can I repair corrupted Docx and PPT I recovered?
by fullN_full / March 8, 2013 1:57 PM PST

Can you see the presentation file inside your thumb drive? If not, then TMP file may help you restore them or you need a third-party recovery software here. I don't know much about such data recovery software since I never used any. But if the PPT file is there inside your thumb drive, then there are fair chances to repair it by using Open and Repair. If this doesn't repair your PPT file, then you must go for a third-party PPT recovery software. I have used such a software in my past. It was SysInfoTools MS PowerPoint PPT Repair software what I used to repair my corrupted PPT file. You may check its free demo version as I did. Just search it on Google or you may read this article. I came to know about this software from this article.
Hope this information will be helpful.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.