Windows 7

Resolved Question

How can I remove Win XP?

by Clydeb1 / November 1, 2013 4:59 AM PDT

Dell Vostro 200, 1.6GHZ, 3 GB RAM, 80 GB SATA. partitioned into C: and D:

I have both Windows XP Home and Windows 7 Pro installed. The intent was to replace the XP with 7, but it didn't happen.
I want to keep the Win7 and remove the Win XP. What must I do the make this happen? <div>
<div>I am not adverse to starting over, but would prefer to avoid that if possible.
</div></div>

Clydeb1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I remove Win XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I remove Win XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Clydeb1

Collapse -
Before you do ANYTHING backup that drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2013 7:38 AM PDT

Since the system MSFT used mandates we install from oldest to newest OS, if you delete the XP partition then the boot might fail.

I'm going to shortchange you big time since removing XP from a dual boot system is widely discussed but you should discover NO ONE will give your assurance it will always be OK.

So after the backup, just boot up GPARTED and delete the XP partition then fix the boot area with EASYBCD.
I didn't give any tutorial on gparted and easybcd due to the wealth of content on the web.
Bob

Collapse -
Still need XP removal info.
by Clydeb1 / November 2, 2013 1:00 AM PDT

OK, you have furnished good help with partition removal and recovery for which I thank you, but I would still like to have workable info. on removing Win XP.

Collapse -
Bob told you how to delete the XP partition
by itsdigger / November 2, 2013 1:10 AM PDT

if you choose not to take his advice , you'll need to start over and do a new install over XP, no partitions,,,, Make sure you save all files that you don't want to lose....Digger

Collapse -
When you remove the partition, you get rid of XP
by wpgwpg / November 2, 2013 1:15 AM PDT

What additional information do you need? Bob gave you exactly what you asked for. Back up your system to an external hard drive, remove the XP partition, then use EasyBCD to make the system bootable again. It's a little bit of a gooney bird dance, but because MS never gives us ways to get rid of an OS, that's what you have to do.
As an alternative, you could set the Windows 7 partition as the default boot, then delete the Windows & Program Files folder from the XP partition, and shrink that partition to the minimum with something like Easeus Partition Master. In any event it takes 3rd part programs to do it.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Sorry but MSFT didn't provide a "supported" way for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2013 3:00 AM PDT

"Back up your system to an external hard drive, remove the XP partition, then use EasyBCD to make the system bootable again. It's a little bit of a gooney bird dance, but because MS never gives us ways to get rid of an OS, that's what you have to do."

What I noted is what I've used for years. But the backup part seems to be where most folk stop. I can't guess why.
Bob

Collapse -
You and I both know why
by wpgwpg / November 2, 2013 3:13 AM PDT

"What I noted is what I've used for years. But the backup part seems to be where most folk stop. I can't guess why.
Bob
" It's a combination of 1) Lack of understanding, 2) Too cheap to invest in an external hard drive, 3) Too lazy to make the effort, and 4) Looking for a magic bullet. Many people think they can get a computer and use it like they would use a toaster.
Sound about right? You just wanted ME to say it, didn't you Bob! Laugh

Collapse -
Wait, there's a magic bullet?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

Thanks for this.

As to the toaster, I'm seeing many move to iPads to get away from all this.
Bob

Collapse -
Back up to ext. drive = done regularly
by Clydeb1 / November 2, 2013 10:32 AM PDT

Thanks to all. I did not intend to start a "pi**" fight with what I naively thought was a simple straight forward question. Basically all I wanted to know was how to identify Win XP so I could delete it
To my knowledge, I do not have an XP partition. I have an OS partition with XP and 7.

I will just format and install Win 7 which I should have done in the first place and not disturb you good folks.

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Man
by itsdigger / November 2, 2013 10:42 AM PDT

People sure have been Testy the last couple of days lol. Mischief

Collapse -
Naw te!
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 2, 2013 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Man

Alright mate? I'm swimming the Atlantic at the moment bound for Alabama. Dog's with me too.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
HAHA
by itsdigger / November 2, 2013 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Naw te!

I'll see ya there Bro.

Collapse -
Just stopped at Ireland...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 2, 2013 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: HAHA

...gotta feed the dog and catch up with some pals.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
bring them along
by itsdigger / November 2, 2013 11:05 AM PDT

we'll have a hoedown in Alabama

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.