AVG forum

Question

How can i remove mystart by incredibar?

by 10zachs1 / May 26, 2012 3:47 PM PDT

Does anyone know how to remove Mystart by incredibar? I have used both GMER and Autoruns to find any spyware and then i just got confused, any help will be very much apreciated .

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can i remove mystart by incredibar?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can i remove mystart by incredibar?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: How can i remove mystart by incredibar?
by Ondrej_AVG / May 27, 2012 6:08 PM PDT

Hello 10zachs1,

Can you please make sure that everything related is uninstalled in "Add or remove programs" in Windows?

Then to recover your internet browser(s) settings please follow these instructions (just replace "AVG Secure Search provider" with Incredibar related).

In case something is still not working properly, please provide us with mentioned outputs and detailed description what is happening.

Thank you

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Incredibar MyStart
by xXxPowerPuffGirlxXx / June 12, 2012 11:49 PM PDT

I ran a pc virus scan nothing came up. I deleted the incredibar toolbar from my programs. Removed the add ons for FF & IE. I changed my homepage back to google on both. I still get redirected to mystart incredibar and when I try ti make changes I get these pop ups asking me to allow to make changes that don't come from AVG. Idk what else to do but my laptop is freezing and messing up help please?

Collapse -
Re: Incredibar MyStart
by Ondrej_AVG / June 13, 2012 3:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Incredibar MyStart

Hello xXxPowerPuffGirlxXx,

Can you please inform us about used internet browser and if all modifications were changed properly? (not just homepage) Like default search engine, new tab configuration, etc.

I would like to ask you to upload screenshot of described pop-up to favorite online (photo) storage and post a link to it, so we can check it.

Thank you

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Mystartincredibar
by phezant46 / June 22, 2012 2:19 AM PDT

Hey,
Everytime i load up my internet browser which is google chrome i get this mystart by incredibar, i have looked in many places on the internet and thought it best to ask the experts, if you require any details of my syatem then feel free but i have tried uninstalling babylon which i cannot locate. tried task manager and searching for files, i would rather not do a system reboot either if anyone could help that would be fantastic

Collapse -
RE: Mystartincredibar
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / June 26, 2012 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Mystartincredibar

Hello phezant46,

Please remove unwanted search engines first, as described in this AVG Forums post.
If there is no Babylon toolbar to be uninstalled, please check whether there is the Web Assistant or MyStart software installed using Control Panel -> Programs and features. Uninstall these, if present, and restart your computer.

Should the issue persist, please describe the situation in details in AVG Forums. Our moderators will ask for detailed diagnostic data from your computer (this forum does not support file attachments).

Thank you.

Collapse -
here it go
by cadillacx72 / September 4, 2012 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Mystartincredibar

Right click on adress bar....go to edit search engines....go to settings On Startup.....third options (Open a specific page or set of pages. Set pages.)..click set pages and delete from there... then just mark to Open the New Tab page ..... thats all.....

Collapse -
Removing my start incredibar
by independent01 / September 7, 2012 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: here it go

Fantastic advice, really precise and very quick to effect.
Thank you!

Collapse -
Yours is the advice that worked!! Thanks
by dldowner / January 18, 2013 12:34 PM PST

Out of all the advice on the internet I've gone through, yours is the one that finally got rid of that crap!

Collapse -
Yes!
by KelPriest / January 25, 2013 8:26 AM PST

Thank you, this worked for me finally and it was easy. Im finally rid of that crap!

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Mystart Incredibar
by ohMatt96 / July 5, 2012 9:07 PM PDT

Hi,
I also discovered this on my computer, i have removed it from my chrome search engines and add-ons/extensions and also uninstalled it from my computer through the control panel. I have read around that it still may be lurking in my computer, how can i find out ( antivirus software doesnt find anything) if it is still on my computer, and are there any further steps i can take to make sure ive gotten rid of it.

Any help appreciated,
Matt

Collapse -
RE: Mystart Incredibar
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / July 9, 2012 5:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Mystart Incredibar

Hello ohMatt96,

If your searches are not redirected now, nor the default home page is being changed repeatedly, the Incredibar appears to be removed completely. I would personally consider this issue resolved if all the symptoms are gone.

However, if you suspect there is a piece of malware lurking in your computer which is not detected by AVG full computer scan, please do not hesitate contacting AVG customer care experts or describe the situation in AVG Forums (diagnostic data will be required; this forum does not support attachments, unfortunately).

Thank you.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
I'm having the same problem!
by AlecSpag / August 18, 2012 11:01 PM PDT

I have tried to do everything to get rid of this annoying " MyStart by Incredibar ."

I went through and tried to delete every single file that could even be related to it.
Changed my internet settings, like my homepage, and etc.

Yet, every single time I click ' new tab ' instead of just bringing me to a blank new tab page, it uses MyStart by Incredibar again. It reverts the settings back to using MyStart every single time.

Can anyone help me?

Collapse -
here is solition
by cadillacx72 / September 4, 2012 8:58 AM PDT

Right click on adress bar....go to edit search engines....go to settings On Startup.....third options (Open a specific page or set of pages. Set pages.)..click set pages and delete from there... then just mark to Open the New Tab page ..... thats all.....

Collapse -
incredibar remains after all that has been done
by EdwinReffell / September 23, 2012 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: here is solition

I did what you suggested but it failed to remove incredibar from Google Chrome.

Collapse -
RE:
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / September 23, 2012 8:15 PM PDT

Hi EdwinReffell,

If procedures described in this discussion thread won't help, you could also try searching Incredimail forums, there are a few threads discussing this topic.
Here you can find an older guide how to remove MyStart search from browsers.

If everything fails, I recommend contacting Incredimail support; providing the unwanted toolbar was installed together with the Incredimail software.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
im having the same problem
by ljayperez / September 17, 2013 11:11 AM PDT

i have done everything here and it fixed the problem on startup but now when i open another tab it brings up incredibar again. have spent hours trying to remove it. i still can't figure it out

Collapse -
Re: im having the same problem
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / September 17, 2013 6:56 PM PDT

Hi ljayperez,

I'm sorry to hear this. Which internet browser (incl. version) is affected?

Thanks,

Jan

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
how can remove mystart incredibar
by shnine / June 1, 2012 7:11 PM PDT

hi,
please help
thank you

Collapse -
Re: how can remove mystart incredibar
by Ondrej_AVG / June 3, 2012 5:45 PM PDT

Hello shnine,

Can you please make sure that everything related is uninstalled in "Add or remove programs" in Windows?

Then to recover your internet browser(s) settings please follow these instructions (just replace "AVG Secure Search provider" with Incredibar related).

In case something is still not working properly, please provide us with Autoruns output and detailed description what is happening.

Thank you

Collapse -
Answer
Remove mystart by incredibar
by deanhauser / June 5, 2012 10:03 AM PDT

I am running Windows 7 and went to the home icon in the toolbar area and hit remove home page. That's what mystart actually was. Then put in your new home page.

Collapse -
Answer
incredibar
by eziukas123 / June 6, 2012 1:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: incredibar
by Ondrej_AVG / June 6, 2012 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: incredibar

Hello eziukas123,

And that there is no related extension in Mozilla Firefox?

1. Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter.
2. Press the I'll be careful, I promise! button.
3. Type search in the Search text box.
4. Right-click the browser.search.defaultenginename and select Reset from the context menu.
5. Type keyword in the Search text box.
6. Right-click the keyword.URL item and select Reset from the context menu

What is the current situation?

Thank you

Collapse -
solved
by eziukas123 / June 7, 2012 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: incredibar

Hello Ondrej_AVG,

Yes, I'm pretty sure I removed everything under Add/remove programs. I even removed some video converters that are no longer necessary. There are no web browser add-ons or extension, both section are empty. I only have several plugins: adobe acrobat, google update, microsoft office and silverlight.

Anyway, it doesn't matter know since incredibar is gone. I think the key step was:

4. Right-click the browser.search.defaultenginename and select Reset from the context menu.

Thanks!

Collapse -
SO FAR SO GOOD
by n8vtexan / June 17, 2012 9:03 AM PDT

I followed the directions and it appears to have worked. It bothers me that I could not find the source of the virus, trojan horse or whatever. It rode in with something, and that something is still there. Thanks for your help, however!

Collapse -
Thanks
by SXitWD / September 9, 2012 8:01 PM PDT

I did this but when you create a new tab it still came up so i searched further down i found more Incredibar crap so i reset them too and now i can open my NewTabs without havign to put up with that crap. Grin

Collapse -
how about google chrome?
by samsoong89 / January 23, 2013 5:53 PM PST

any solutions for google chrome?

Collapse -
removal for chrome
by lucky7m / February 7, 2013 2:48 AM PST

You can follow removal instructions either here or here. Both works just fine.

Collapse -
It is a hijacker and I do not know how to remove it. Help,
by nanato4angels / June 11, 2012 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: incredibar

I can not remove this hijacker, help me please.

Collapse -
Re: It is a hijacker and I do not know how to remove it
by Ondrej_AVG / June 12, 2012 9:09 PM PDT

Hello nanato4angels,

Can you please describe in more details what have you done (according to above mentioned steps) and which internet browser are you using?

Thank you

Collapse -
Nothing works
by MzAlaina / June 14, 2012 6:41 PM PDT

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Can you help me please?? I uninstalled it from my Dell desktop computer but my homepage is still the MyStart by incredibar. I tried doing a system restore on my computer but that failed, even in safe mode. My McAfee virus scan didn't detect anything.

Firefox is my main and preferred browser, however it has also infected Internet Explorer. I tried the steps that you recommended to eziukas123 about right-click ing the browser.search.defaultenginename and selecting Reset from the context menu. This didn't help either. I've run out of options, please help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.