Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

How can I remove Keylogger virus on my son's Netbook w/out a

by cmnoonan24 / March 13, 2013 2:10 AM PDT

...I can't get to a fix online because everytime I open explorer it blasts me with pop-ups for virus protection, etc. Please help!

cmnoonan24 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I remove Keylogger virus on my son's Netbook w/out a
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I remove Keylogger virus on my son's Netbook w/out a
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by cmnoonan24

Collapse -
Some things you can do
by wpgwpg / March 13, 2013 2:13 AM PDT

Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into Safe Mode. Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode. Then run a full system scan.
Microsoft has suggestions and offerings at
MS forum moderator Keith has some suggestions along this line at
If that fixes it, fine. If not, use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem. To run System Restore, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Click the box that says Show more restore points.
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
When you get your system back in good working order, I urge you to back your system up to an external hard drive and make regular periodic updates to it.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
by cmnoonan24 / March 13, 2013 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Some things you can do

System Restore worked.... I just didnt have the $70.00 to update my virus software at the time. Thank you sooo much!!!

Chris & Hunter (my son)

Collapse -
Let's talk about the 70 bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks....

Since we have FREE Antivirus available such as AVAST and AVG, why would we go without?

Collapse -
Not only that, Bob, but some ISPs give free AV
by wpgwpg / March 13, 2013 12:04 PM PDT

Not only do AVG and Avast and Microsoft have free antivirus programs, but some ISPs provide free ones too. You can't afford NOT to have a current antivirus program - it only takes seconds when you're on the internet to get them. If you use Comcast, I know they have free versions, I think AOL does, and I imagine others do as well. If you don't want your computer to be infected and cause you all kinds of grief, you simply have to have an antivirus and keep it current with daily updates.

Good luck.

Collapse -
A note about Keylogger named trojans..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

Chris (and your son Hunter Happy )

I'm NOT saying this is the case. It was (part of) your comment "..it blasts me with pop-ups for virus protection" and the mention of "Keylogger" which reminded me of it. You might want to keep the below in mind, if you experience it in the future.

Some families of rogue anti-spyware programs (which display fake scan results) will report you infected with Trojan-BNK.Win32.Keylogger.

Last year one of our members received such a warning. Subject: "trojan-bnk.win.keylogger.gen". Read the very beginning of the response below it titled, "Removal Guide for FAKE warning "Trojan-BNK.Win32.Keylogger". Or the description of one of the.Rogue.FakeRean-Braviax family of rogues here.

Having said that ..... I'm in agreement with the other posters. "FREE" will do the job! If / when you review either of the removal guides, you will see Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware utilitized. That too is FREE.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.