TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

how can I play an NTSC TV in India which has PAL system

by akhouri / August 22, 2004 10:11 PM PDT

Hi, I recently relocated from USA to India and brought my Sony Trinitron wega flat scree TV with me. It plays only NTSC format .. but in India cable streaming is done in PAL. Is there any PAL to NTSC converter available at reasonable price? Is ther any other way I can make my TV owrk here. I've a DVD player which can paly both NTSC/PAL. can I somehow connect my cable inpput to it and make my TV work?
Please advise. Thanks, AKhouri

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how can I play an NTSC TV in India which has PAL system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how can I play an NTSC TV in India which has PAL system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: how can I play an NTSC TV in India which has PAL system
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 12:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
by akhouri / August 24, 2004 5:23 PM PDT

Hi Bob,

Thanks for you reply.
I'm already in India and procuring a scan converter is proving out to be difficult and not cost effective. HOw do u feel about following idea. If I get a VCR which is both NTSC & PAL compatible, input the cable into VCR and VCR video out to TV. Will VCR be able to do the conversion from PAL input to send the video output in NTSC?
Thx,
Nishant

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2004 10:17 PM PDT

Some "World" VCRs can do that. Since we are not sharing any make/model number and website, I can't tell you if that is an option.

As to cost, that's the rub (issue). Such devices run about 100 US bucks to a little more, but some may feel that's not a good deal.

Bob

Collapse -
by ramusson / September 1, 2004 9:53 PM PDT

No, its not possible unless someone decides to make a VCR that doubles as a Scan Convertor!

Collapse -
Here it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2004 10:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Thanks
by ramusson / September 2, 2004 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Here it is.

Well.... this is news to me.

Thank you for the reference.

Collapse -
by vishalbatra / September 20, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

Hi!

I am facing the same situation. Did you find any device/VCR to make the NTSC TV work in India? Please let me know your findings. I am in the US right now and can buy converters on your advice.

I also checked with a converter company and they told me that a PAL TV Tuner can convert the PAL signal to NTSC. The other company advised me for a video converter.(http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=CDM660)

Thanks! Vishal

Collapse -
by akhouri / September 26, 2004 5:26 PM PDT

Vishal,

The video converters on some site were coming pretty costly and I was not sure whether they wud do the job. So I ended up buying a new TV in India.

Sorry .. not much help here ....!!!

Collapse -
by duru / November 25, 2004 1:30 PM PST

Hi Akhouri,

I too have just returned and having the same problem with my 53' Sony projection TV. Will appreciate your help in case you have any information. I am based in Mumbai.

I did try PAL -NTSC converter 3.8 speed. I was getting the audio but the picture was rolling. I have been advised by the TV Mechanic to get a high speed converter 4. +. would that help resolve the problem??

Warm Rgds
Anil

You can reach me on my email or call at 98203-21544

Collapse -
hey guys you can get the converter from any s shops
by siddhamalli / December 20, 2004 3:47 AM PST

its called cmd1200
http://www.world-import.com/cmd1200.htm , so tell me if you need it i can send it from here , anyway i have some ?'s regardign the tax they charge in india when u bring in a TV please reply back how did you manage taking a 52 inch tv there and how much intreste did you guys paid on it .

Collapse -
hi duru , im planning to call you
by siddhamalli / December 20, 2004 3:49 AM PST
Collapse -
how can I play an NTSC TV in India which has PAL system
by peopleschamp / January 7, 2005 8:46 PM PST

hey i would like to know how we can take big screen tv's to india and what are the tax implications and if its cheaper to buy here after all the taxes ansd shipping.

Collapse -
NTSC TV in India
by burmank / January 12, 2005 5:14 PM PST

Did any of you finally find any convertor available in India...
My NTSC TV has been lying idle for last cpl of months.
-Kapil

Collapse -
OCst for bringing TV to India
by akhouri / January 12, 2005 6:07 PM PST

Hi,
Not much idea about costs/duty etc in shifting the TV. Mine was taken care of by my company.
Thanks,

Collapse -
solution to using ntsc tv in india
by vijayus / May 20, 2008 6:46 PM PDT

I moved from the US and brought a Sony 52 LCD with me, regular Best Buy stuff. I has 240 volts so no issues on that, I still use a stabilizer so that it is protected. I also had a tuner from CMD that I had purchased for 200 bucks over there and did not work well at all, no wide screen option, not enought channels etc. I tried convertors and bad quality. I found the perfect solution after months of screwing around and about 5000 rs is experimentation. Use DISH TV with the VGA box. Crystal clear picture, widescreen and great sound. Absolutely your moneys worth, dont waste your time with anything else.

Collapse -
hello
by dilmeet / May 28, 2008 1:53 PM PDT

hi, just got a ntsc tv here. have an ntsc dvd player - so thats no problem. but what of - tata sky/dish signal?

you said dish works fine with a vga box?? can you pls clarify and onfim howthat works.

also, what if i used a hdmi input?
upscaled the dth signal through a upgrader/dvd to hdmi. would it work then??

thanks

Collapse -
contd...
by dilmeet / May 28, 2008 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: hello

oh andi forgot -

its a sony lcd...

Collapse -
I received an email about this thread
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 18, 2011 10:38 PM PDT

asking why it had been locked.

Why? It was started in 2004, around 8 years ago.

Time to put it to bed.

Re-locked.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.