Laptops forum

Question

How can I install XP on my Asus EeePC?

by fschakel / December 8, 2012 8:13 AM PST

My netbook is an Asus EeePC 1005HA. It wouldn't boot anymore but I have been using it by booting from a USB with BartPE's XP on it. I tried installing XP from this USB but get the error:
"FILE \$WIN_NT$.~BT\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded.. error code 22".

My guess is that the new XP was a different version from the installed XP. So I used diskpart to reformat and re-partition C: so it would be clear of any previous OS. I still got the same error message. I was able to copy
a file to C:, so I know it is formatted and empty.

How can I get a version of XP installed?
Do I have to use the XP CD that came with the netbook?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I install XP on my Asus EeePC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I install XP on my Asus EeePC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
How did you get XP to support SATA?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 3:55 PM PST

I don't see that detail in your post.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification on clarification request??
by fschakel / December 8, 2012 11:18 PM PST

Sorry, I'm not following this clarification request and how it is related to my original question?

I'm having problems getting XP back onto my Asus EeePC. Last night I tried making a PE-to-USB from the Asus EeePC XP CD. It didn't work because that CD does not have NTLDR in the i386 directory. I'll try copying NTLDR from another XP CD.

Collapse -
It's not related, it IS the question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 1:50 AM PST

Since this machine has SATA drives and XP doesn't come with the drivers for that, YOU as the installer must know this.

You claim you have the Asus restore CD but it appears you are trying to do something odd with it? Why?
Bob

Collapse -
It's not related, it IS the question
by fschakel / December 9, 2012 2:38 AM PST

OK. I think I understand the SATA issue now. So I just went into BIOS and set the SATA to IDE. I assume that I do not need the SATA driver now.

I do not have a DVD drive to use the Asus Restore CD and I could not get that CD onto a USB drive.
Therefore, I made a bootable BARTPE USB from another XP CD.

After installing XP from the BARTPE USB flash drive, it booted and only got the blue "WINDOWS SETUP" screen, then the same message "...ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded".

Other than buying a DVD drive to run the original setup disc, could you suggest anything else I could try?

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 10:23 AM PST

But you will encounter folk that won't get the drive or borrow it and they lose weeks or more over that item. It's not optional. It's like a spare tire for the car. Eventually you'll need it but it doesn't stop you from using the car or having a repair service fix it for you.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: installing XP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 11:27 PM PST

1. Buy an external CD/DVD-drive or use one from a friend.
2. Boot from the Windows or recovery disk that came with the PC and follow the prompts to install it.

That should be all.

Kees

Collapse -
installing XP
by fschakel / December 9, 2012 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: installing XP

Thanks for your suggestion. I realize this is the preferred solution. Even better, just buy a new netbook!
But I may be able to save $40 and learn something by trying it the hard way.
I'll try a few more things before giving up.

Collapse -
Checkout
by Willy / December 11, 2012 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: installing XP

It's "hard wired" to use an ext. CD/DVD drive in order to install the OS. Being that its also XP just makes this harder or impossible. Unless you have access to some ext. drive then its going to be practically a tail-chasing exercise. You may want to check out:

http://www.bootdisk.com

My goto method that helps at times but not always, google for ADA-2020(or similar adapter) and have a CD drive laying around or remove from old PC for install use. Below is one and remember you can re-use this on other projects.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=30504-DT&cat=CCD

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Good ideas
by fschakel / December 11, 2012 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: Checkout

Thanks Willy. I've tried several versions of the USB installs and they all seem to hang when files need to be put on the HDD. Like R.Proffitt stated, it's probably an issue with XP not being able to work with SATA without drivers. I even tried a Live DOS USB with FDISK. FDISK insisted the HDD to be Drive 1 and the USB to be Drive 0. So it couldn't make the HDD the active bootable one.

The adapter looks interesting, but since I only expect to use it once or so, I'm going see if Santa may spply me with an external DVD drive. I'll check back after Xmas.

Collapse -
Issue has been "worked around"
by fschakel / December 28, 2012 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: Good ideas

Santa came through and got me a portable DVD drive. I booted up with the recovery disc that came with the netbook. However, it wanted to RECOVER the XP version that was supposed to be on the hidden partition on the HDD. It did not allow a CLEAN installation from the CD.

I gave up on the EeePC CD and just booted with a regular Microsoft XP OS CD that I had from another computer. That booted fine and did a clean install with no problems. I now have my netbook back in normal operation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.