Windows 8 forum

How can i install Windows 8 after DBAN

by i_love_ice_cream / November 21, 2012 1:47 AM PST

i've been told that windows 8 only comes in upgrade version (NO FULL VERSION). my PC didnt come with a windows 7 disc it is preloaded on the computer. i want to know if i use DBAN will it also get rip of the preloaded windows 7 firmware and if so is it possible to install windows 8 without having to load 7 first.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can i install Windows 8 after DBAN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can i install Windows 8 after DBAN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I see this question up on Yahoo too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 1:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Windows 8
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 2:39 AM PST

You can install the upgrade version of Windows 8 over the existing Windows 7 installation. There's no need for a Windows 7 disk.

Collapse -
by i_love_ice_cream / November 21, 2012 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Windows 8

if i use dban wont it delete the existing windows 7?

Collapse -
Yes, so you better don't use it.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: windows

Although it's doubtful if the recovery partition will still work if you install Windows 8, it's definitely gone if you use DBAN to erase the drive.

Collapse -
how to install windows 8 after dbam
by i_love_ice_cream / November 21, 2012 7:54 AM PST

So if I use DBAN how do I get windows 8

Collapse -
Re: how to get Windows 8
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 4:24 PM PST
Collapse -
I will be using killdisk
by DChrisL / November 28, 2012 9:20 AM PST
but it will delete all of WIN7, I already deleted the Recovery section and is now a part of C:, you can purchase the Full WIN8 CD for $69.99 and use that. PS it is DBAN, short for Derrick's Boot and Nuke.
Collapse -
Why Dban?
by tonyron227 / November 22, 2012 1:56 AM PST

I am wondering why you want to use Dban if you want Windows 8. Dban is not for novices as it will wipe everything off of your hard drive and you will not have anything on your hard drive to upgrade.

Collapse -
The myth of the clean install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2012 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: Why Dban?

They are trying to do the clean install that is frankly over rated.

That's my guess.

Collapse -
Windows 8 will allow you to format when upgrading
by jloesqcnet / November 22, 2012 2:29 AM PST

I have done around twenty or so Windows 8 installs. You can format your drive and do a clean install through the wizard. Somehow I still don't think it is the same as a true dos format but regardless it should accomplish what you want to do. For simplicity you may want to do a generic upgrade keeping your settings, files, applications and drivers to avoid the hassle of rebuilding your machine from scratch. I agree I like to run a clean install and do my own formatting with a full version CD. I understand Microsoft will eventually ship a full version eventually.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.