TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How can I hook up PC-type speakers to my tv?

by Joe1363 / September 11, 2005 12:40 PM PDT

I have some Logitech X-230 speakers that I want to hook up to the tv. The tv doesn't have anything that resembles a headphone or audio jack so I'm not sure what to do. I was thinking of getting a device that converts RCA plugs to a stereo plug but I don't know if that will work since the devise (,CRID=2173,CONTENTID=9584)is advertised for gaming consoles. Can anyone confirm if this will work or suggest something that will? Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I hook up PC-type speakers to my tv?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I hook up PC-type speakers to my tv?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How can I hook up PC-type speakers to my tv?
by jcrobso / September 12, 2005 12:52 AM PDT

You need an adpater that will convert stereo RCA plugs to
3.5mm stereo phone plug. Check out Radio Shack. John

Collapse -
How can I hook up PC-type speakers to my tv?
by Joe1363 / September 12, 2005 5:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
How can I hook up PC-type speakers to my tv?
by Joe1363 / September 12, 2005 6:14 AM PDT

Nevermind,I see that it won't.

Collapse -
am I reading this wrong?
by sirroundsound / September 14, 2005 1:19 PM PDT

You say your tv does NOT have anything like headphone OR audio out jacks. If this is the case where were you going to plug in this adapter? The only thing I could suggest, if your not going out and getting a receiver, are you at least using a VCR? If so, you could connect the audio out from the vcr to these speakers (with the adapter cable) and watch all your TV through the vcr, that should work, but... The only issue might be the output levels from the vcr may or may not be high (or low) enough for the computer speakers to sound good.

Collapse -
I guessI did leave this pretty vague.
by Joe1363 / September 14, 2005 1:59 PM PDT

My tv only has one set of RCA plugs and no type of headphone or audio out jacks. I recently went to Radioshack and found out about receivers, but I would have to buy one, which I don't really want to spend money on. I don't have a VCR either, so there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. Thanks anyway for the help.

Collapse -
Radio Shack=vacuum
by jcrobso / September 15, 2005 1:47 AM PDT

Since the people at RS have no idea how do things, OK I now that many of them were hired under the pretense of a "mamagment traniee". But still, each store should have one person that knows how to do things. I guess I'm ranting about retail sales people again.

Here are 2 RS part numbers that should do the job.
274-1555 and 42-2551, cost for both about $10.
One is a stereo RCA to mini 3.5mmm cable and the other is a 3.5mm barrel conector to conect the 2 3.5mm plugs together. John

Collapse -
This will work then?
by Joe1363 / September 15, 2005 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Radio Shack=vacuum

My tv is a few years old and like I said previously only has one set of RCA plugs which I guess are input. From what I was told I suppose it would make sense that I would need some kind of receiver, but will what you said work for sure? I don't know too much about this kind of thing so I want to be sure before I go buy those part.

Collapse -
by sirroundsound / September 15, 2005 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: This will work then?

These will not work, your TV needs an audio "OUTPUT" ,from your description, your TV sounds like it has a coaxial input (for cable or antenna) and you say there is one set of rca's, which you think are inputs. Thus no way to extract the sound from your tv and send it to speakers or any other device. IF, those RCA's on the back are only a pair, and one is red, the other white, and they say audio OUTPUT, then great, go to idiot shack and buy the parts mentioned above, one of them is to connect to the TV via the rca end, the other is an adapter cable which switches the rca type of end to a mini 1/8th inch connection which should allow you to plug in your computer speakers. And viola, either way your done.

Collapse -
Yeah, can't do it.
by Joe1363 / September 15, 2005 3:13 PM PDT
In reply to: no...

As I thought it can't be done. My tv has three RCA plugs so apparently it won't work. Thanks for the advice either way.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Big screens for the big game

Still looking for the best TV deals ahead of Sunday's game? Here are our top three big screen picks.