Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

How can I getback a lost icon?

by hueassa / February 27, 2013 8:52 PM PST

After re-instaling Win Xp-SP3, The Standby/Hibernate icon disappeared. I searched for it in "Power Options" but I did not find anything that cocerns this icon. How can I get it back

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I getback a lost icon?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I getback a lost icon?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's assume Windows is installed properly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2013 10:10 AM PST
Collapse -
How can I get back a lost icon.
by hueassa / March 1, 2013 8:30 PM PST

Sorry, there is no "Hibernate" tab in my "Power Options". The tabs I have are: Power Schemes, Advanced and UPS only. That is why I asked my question.
Window installation was done following the instructions that appeared during installation, I hope it was installed properly.

Collapse -
That can happen for many reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2013 5:06 AM PST

Most common is that the OS install was botched. Ask them to check their install of the drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
How can I get alost icon?
by hueassa / March 2, 2013 5:34 PM PST

It was I who installed the OS. Installation was done after formatting partition C. I chose the "Recommended" setup. What drivers do you mean?

Collapse -
XP has few of the needed drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 2:06 AM PST

Let's look at a XP install on a HP laptop at the next link.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7587_102-2699006.html

That's no less than 10 drivers and applications before the machine had everything that folk expect on a Windows install.

It looks like you installed the OS but need the rest.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. About device manager.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 2:32 AM PST

It can be without errors and still need drivers to be installed. And I see no reason to repeat the Driver Update button discussion. It's an iffy button. Never know if it will work or cause more problems.
Bob

Collapse -
How can I get back alost icon?
by hueassa / March 3, 2013 3:49 AM PST

Sorry again, my computer is not an HP laptop, it is a custom made pc. All video, audio, LAN ...etc cards wok normally. Moreover, I did not find any drivers that concern Power Options or hibernation. It may be important to say that before this last installation of Xp, Hibernate icon was present and operating normally.

Collapse -
Sorry. I use that as a XP install example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 3:52 AM PST

If I take your word that you performed the same install as before then the diagnosis is grim. That is, there is a new hardware failure and you'll have to fix the machine before it works again.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry. I use that as a XP install example
by hueassa / March 4, 2013 4:12 AM PST

Sorry to hear that.
does the Hibernate function belong to Windows, the motherboard, or something else?

Collapse -
Not one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 4:21 AM PST

It's a system where the OS, motherboard, drivers and more all play together. Or not.

I don't think I can help this one since there has been so much resistance to the usual path or work. Maybe it's best for this one to be taken to the shop counter?
Bob

Collapse -
Just a long shot. Do you use POWERCFG?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 3:59 AM PST
http://ss64.com/nt/powercfg-xp.html

This is not an offer to teach use of the powercfg tool but you may want to give it a shot at this.

Your story is still one that tells me you didn't install the OS the same as before or the hardware has failed.

Sadly, using an example install seems to not be useful. That's OK but as you have a custom system, you would have a custom install plan.
Bob
Collapse -
Look in Device Manager for ! or ? there
by wpgwpg / March 3, 2013 2:24 AM PST

What Bob's telling you is to right-click Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager for entries with ! or ? by them. These are the ones you need the drivers for. Since you didn't give any details about your hardware, we can't be any more specific than that.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Look in Device Manager for! or? there.
by hueassa / March 4, 2013 3:46 AM PST

There is one ? with vedeo controller, but since I see text, pictures, and films in a normal way, there is no influence of that. Also, this has no relation with hibernation.

Collapse -
Look in Device Manager.
by hueassa / March 4, 2013 4:04 AM PST

If you mean by "Hardware" the motherboard:
System Model G31M-ES2L
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~3066 Mhz
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Collapse -
Re: installed the OS
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 2:40 AM PST

I've never seen a authentic holographed Microsoft issued XP installation disk talking about a 'recommended' setup. So can you tell what disk you used?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Re: installed the OS
by hueassa / March 4, 2013 4:22 AM PST

When I installed Widows, there was two options, I forget their "official" names. Beside one of them there was written , between two brackets," Recommended". It was this option that I used

Collapse -
Show us the image. Link follows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: installed the OS
Collapse -
Show us the image.
by hueassa / March 5, 2013 4:21 AM PST

All imagges shown in that guide appeared during installation except "Insert the previos version" , "Net Passport Wizard and those about Messenger. There was no previous version on my computer. The first version was Xp, then I added Sp2 and Sp3. I got the CD from the company from which I bought the computer, It was an official Microsoft ditributer, so I doubt that the OS was a crack. Moreover, I do not use cracks. I used clean install. I kept partitions and there sizes intact.

Collapse -
Re: no hibernation
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Show us the image.

My guess is that the motherboard drivers are not installed. So Windows doesn't know that your motherboard/BIOS supports hibernation. So it doesn't show it.
But I could very well be wrong.

Back to the company from which your computer and that you got the CD from, I'd say.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: no hibernation
by hueassa / March 6, 2013 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re: no hibernation

No, you are absolutely right. Your reply reminded me that when I bought the computer,7 -8 years ago, it had this problem. I contacted the engineer who assembled it . He told me to install a certain program from Gigabyte DVD which solved yhe issue. I forgot the name of that program. I installed all utilitifs on the DVD without any result. To complicate matters, the company moved to a place which I do not know its address or telephone no.
What I think of now is to contact Gigabyte and tell them about this issue. Their DVD which I have is 7 -8 years old. Sure all programmes on it are now out of date and there are updates for them. An updated program may solve the issue, I hope.

Collapse -
This points us back to the drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Show us the image.

As it stands it's drivers in my opinion. None of that is automatic in XP and once in a while you'll encounter some one that digs in their heels about the drivers we install after the OS.

I think that sort of person only needs time to think it through.
Bob

Collapse -
Malwarebytes can be good for that...
by mchainmchain / March 4, 2013 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: Re: installed the OS

Scan with Malwarebytes Free here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

This will take you back to c|net here to get your copy. Update and then scan your system. Malwarebytes will report certain files or services found that are not present on a legal copy of Windows. Please report back if you did have these files detected.

Collapse -
Malwarebytes can be good for that...
by hueassa / March 5, 2013 9:05 PM PST

I followed your instuctions , I ran full scan, the results are as follow:
Memory Modules Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Detected: 2
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SeekService (Adware.SeekService) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\SeekService (Adware.SeekService) -> No action taken.

Files Detected: 6
C:\Program Files\seah\Serah.exe (Spyware.AdaEbook) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\SeekService\uninstall.exe (Adware.Agent) -> No action taken.
D:\System Volume Information\_restore{9CDBF110-B6D8-4401-973C-BAFCA421C8FF}\RP9\A0002488.exe (PUP.Hacktool.Patcher) -> No action taken.
D:\System Volume Information\_restore{9CDBF110-B6D8-4401-973C-BAFCA421C8FF}\RP9\A0002489.exe (PUP.Hacktool.Patcher) -> No action taken.
D:\Program Sourses\Internet.Download.Manager.v6.08.Beta.Build.5\Patch\internet.download.manager.6.xx-patch-tafboy-v2.0.exe (PUP.Hacktool.Patcher) -> No action taken.
C:\Documents and Settings\Hussein\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\chrome-extension_cjpglkicenollcignonpgiafdgfeehoj_0.localstorage (PUP.FunMoods) -> No action taken.

(end)

Collapse -
Good job
by mchainmchain / March 6, 2013 5:28 AM PST

Concerned about the adware/spyware found by Malwarebytes.

Also concerned you have a PUP.Hacktool.Patcher on your system. How did you get that?

Be aware that some users encountering this patcher program have removed it only to find their system badly damaged on reboot. Various necessary Windows services either were disabled, or were corrupted after.

For the System Volume information_restore points indicating PUP.Hacktool.Patcher, remove these points if you do not know this program.

Note the drive letter is D:\

Open the correct drive by right-clicking it and selecting Properties>Disk Cleanup>Options Tab>System Restore>OK

What running Disk Cleanup will do is clean up your drive and also remove all but the newest restore point. The two older restore points will be removed by Windows when you run this program.

Create a new restore point in case you need the other programs. Then update Malwarebytes to the latest definitions, and run. If the same files, folders, and registry entry are detected, choose to quarantine them and delete. Malwarebytes will save the detected items in quarantine, so if needed, you can restore.

Registry entry seems to indicate your Windows Updates are disabled and not working too. Are you running an active resident a/v on your system?

If removing the patcher file does cause problems, go here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Collapse -
Good job
by hueassa / March 12, 2013 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Good job

Believe me Sir, this is the first time to know that I have that "PUP.Hacktool.Patcher "on my computer, I don't know how I got it. I thik I got it within a program that I got it from one of my friends.
I followed your instructions, cleaned my disc and removed that patcher , but the problem still exists.
You are right, I disable Automatic Updates. They fill the computer with files that I do not know how much important they are. I use AVG which updates itself daily, and sometimes twice a day, Zone Alarm, Spybot search and destroy which I update every week, and Malwarebytes

Collapse -
Re: automatic updates
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2013 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Good job

Better set that to automatically, once your issue is solved. It's not important that you don't know how important they are, it's important that Microsoft says they correct critical errors. Only skip them if you are sure they don't.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: automatic updates
by hueassa / March 13, 2013 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: automatic updates

Thanks, I will follow your advice.

Collapse -
Answer
Solution
by debijg / March 8, 2013 7:08 PM PST

May be the problem is in your windows CD check your system with the other CD and show your icon will be back.

Collapse -
Solution
by hueassa / March 9, 2013 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Solution

Excuse4 me, I do not understand what do you mean by "the other Cd".?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.