Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

How can I get the best picture w/ my XBOX360

by SilentWolf775 / December 11, 2007 7:08 AM PST

I just bought a Samsung 50"DLP 1080p flaty w/ the video game mode if that makes a big difference and have an older model 360 w/o the HDMI hookup I was wondering what cable(s)and brand etc, would I use to get the best picture/ability out of my XBOX360 and or HDTV at the same time any advice would be helpfull?!?!?!?!?!?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I get the best picture w/ my XBOX360
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I get the best picture w/ my XBOX360
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Component
by Jimmy Greystone / December 11, 2007 7:56 AM PST

Component cables will give every bit as good an image as HDMI and without all the DRM junk of HDMI.

I don't think it likely matters too much on the brand. I wouldn't go with the cheapest cables you can find, but there's usually very little difference between cables that may cost $20-30 and those that cost in excess of $100. Usually because the quality of the ports on the console or DVD player or whatever are not all that great, so the quality of the cable is largely irrelevant. I wouldn't spend more than $50 on a set of component cables myself, but if one set seems considerably cheaper than all the rest for no apparent reason, I would probably avoid it.

Also, assuming the 360 has the actual component jacks on the back, and doesn't use a standard proprietary port like the original Xbox -- I don't own a 360 -- then component cables are component cables, and you don't need to find some that claim to be compatible with the 360. Feel free to look over by the DVD players for cheaper cables that will work every bit as well. If the 360 has some standard port for video, forget all that.

Collapse -
thanks
by SilentWolf775 / December 11, 2007 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: Component

thanks for the input helps a bit ...but is there anyone out there w/ a little bit more experience w/ the 360 and has messed around w/ this subject a little more and had some success or a reiable product!?!?!

Collapse -
HDMI vs Component
by Stompie77 / December 14, 2007 4:33 PM PST

component is not as good as hdmi, because component is basically hd in analog while hdmi is hd in digital. I bought a 360 elite that came with both components and hdmi. The hdmi gives a much better picture quality than the component cables do on my hd TV. It was worth it to purchase the elite because the bigger hard drive and then hdmi cable that came with it retails for roughly 70 bucks. If you were to buy a regular 360 and purchase the cables and the extra hard drive you would be paying for the extras that come with the elite. If you are able to in order to get the best picture upgrade to a 360 elite, and use hdmi but if you aren't going to upgrade to the elite w/ hdmi then the best you are going to get it is the "hd" component cables that Xbox sells.

Collapse -
Wrong
by froasier / February 12, 2008 4:42 PM PST
In reply to: HDMI vs Component

HDMI was created mainly for DRM and to consolidate everything into one cable, not to improve picture quality or "support HD" better as many seem to think. Component is perfectly capable of HD resolutions, and has the potential for even more color quality due to its analog nature and color system--digital isn't automatically better. The fact that you got better results with HDMI might be due to incorrect settings for component, or issues specific to your TV. I would not justify replacing a system just to get HDMI. Also, you can get a perfectly fine HDMI cable for around $15.

Collapse -
Huh?
by mkoehne / December 17, 2007 9:12 AM PST

Why would you respond to this post if you don't even own an Xbox360? You base your answer on what? Speculation? Best practices? I can't say I completely disagree with your answer, other than to say that, yes, it DOES take a proprietary cable from the back of the Xbox to the TV inputs.

Stick with what you know, dude. Leave the Xbox answers to the Xbox experts, or at least the people who have SOME experience with the 360.

Collapse -
Cables
by not2worried / December 12, 2007 2:17 AM PST

You can pick Hd AV Component cables at walmart or Bestbuy. Microsoft makes them. And I'm sure others do too.
There about $40...I'm guessing you have the Core 360.
The premium came with the Hd Av cables.
You would change the setting in the 360 dashboard to either 720p/1080i/1080p
May sure you have the Cables select to HD ( many have both regular and HD)
Tv you really don't have much to touch there.
Hope this Help

Collapse -
proprietary port
by not2worried / December 12, 2007 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Cables

And yes the Xbox 360 has proprietary port...

Collapse -
Cable link
by not2worried / December 12, 2007 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: proprietary port

www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/splash/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

Not sure if this link works.

Collapse -
cables
by SilentWolf775 / December 12, 2007 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Cable link

thanks bro appreciate the input so you think the vga hookup would put out better quality then component... I do have the hd cables that came w/ the 360 but want to go bigger/better sor to say and is there a cable out there that goes from component to hdmi cause i have the hdmi hookups on my hdtv but not on the back of the 360

Collapse -
Use your cables
by not2worried / December 12, 2007 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: cables

The cables you have will work great!
Most people will never notice the difference using HDMI.

Use the cable you have.Their a good quality.
Use the $$$ toward a game.
My TV has HDMI but like you, my 360 has the Component cables that came with the xbox.
Just set up your Xbox setting. You'll be happy.

Collapse -
Hdmi wii hookup
by WILDBILLTA / December 21, 2007 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: Use your cables

Trust me i have been thier they do not work! I am out 179.00 you can't switch hdmi or couple hdmi it is a copy write thing biltin to the works. The only way to do it is switch cables. I just bought my 4 lcd tv and this time i have 3 hdmi hookups. Merry Xmas

Collapse -
HDMI Splitter
by Minvox / October 9, 2008 3:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Hdmi wii hookup

Yes you can <a href="http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3278"target="_blank">switch</a> and <a href="http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3355"target="_blank">split</a> HDMI and anything thing that you would normally do with a component cable.

Collapse -
VGA
by Stoutimous / December 13, 2007 11:37 AM PST

I have a Samsung DLP 50' also. I bought the VGA cables over a year ago and they work perfect on the TV. You have to fit to the screen but that only takes a minute. Also the VGA cables upgrade your DVD;s on the 360. Also I have noticed less lag with VGA compared to the component cables on my DLP.

Collapse -
VGA Brand
by SilentWolf775 / December 14, 2007 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: VGA

Hmmmm seeing that i just purchased Monsters Gamelink components w/ fiber optic for $20 ya i know cheap is there a cable brand that has vga hookup for the 360 thats better then any other or the standard vga microsoft has to offer

Collapse -
wha?
by saitokokeimei / December 14, 2007 5:05 PM PST
In reply to: VGA

Are you talking about upscaling the dvds, or progressive scan?

And by lag, do you mean refresh rate or 'ghosting?'

Collapse -
that's what i am talking about lol
by Stoutimous / February 26, 2008 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: wha?

I am talking about upscaling the DVD.
Also by lag I mean I press a button on my game and I notice it is not instant, with component cables, but with VGA it is instant.

Collapse -
hm
by saitokokeimei / December 14, 2007 4:59 PM PST

I read somewhere (maybe even here on CNET) that HDMI won't make much of a difference yet and that current resolutions and technology don't even take advantage of it yet. Whether you use it or not is a preference, but it won't make much of a difference. It's primarily a way for them to control media and piracy is all. That's what was said.

The component cables that come with the premium 360 are great cables and work fine, just make sure you flip the switch to HDTV. Go in the settings in your xbox and change the resolution to as high as it will go. For me, my HDTV is darker and different than CRT tvs so I have to boost my Brightness and Contrast real high, then use each game's brightness setting individually to set the screen right. But you have the Gaming mode so you should be fine.

Collapse -
Comprehensive answer:
by froasier / February 12, 2008 5:12 PM PST

If you have the Component HD AV cable already, first make sure the switch on it is set to HD, and set your resolution to 1080p in the dashboard (assuming your TV will accept 1080p through component). Make any necessary adjustments on the TV. If you still want to improve quality, get the VGA HD AV cable, which always supports 1080p, and supports upconverting for DVDs (the Component HD cable only supports progressive scan for DVDs). Again, make sure to make the appropriate settings in the dashboard.

Also, sound quality is almost as important as picture quality to get the best experience out of your HD system. Hopefully you aren't just using your TV's built-in speakers and you have a surround sound system with optical input. You should be able to connect the Xbox 360's optical output to the TV and then the TV's optical output to the surround receiver (using inexpensive TOSLINK cables). Otherwise you may want to connect the 360 directly to the receiver, and either use the TV's speakers for normal TV or connect it to a different input on the receiver if available. Again, you may need to change some settings in the Xbox and/or TV to get the best results, such as disabling the TV's built-in speakers when using the optical output.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.