Office & Productivity Software

Question

How can I get rid of unwanted OpenOffice side affects?

by jackw1926 / January 15, 2013 12:19 AM PST

I made the mistake of downloading and installing OpenOffice 3.1 without reading the fine print. Big error on my part! I have removed it and a couple of other things, 2 copies of TidyNetwork...pf that had been installed, but my copy of Netscape still changes my home page back to http://start.findwide.com/?guid={***} rather than what I set it to be and the pages that I download still show links to sites that have been added by their code bases on phrases like "Web pages" and words like "marriage". IE allowed me to change the home page back to what I want but it also shows the added links. Is there any way, short of removing and replacing Netscape and IE that I can fix this problem?

Thanks for any help that I can get..

Old too soon, smart too late..

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I get rid of unwanted OpenOffice side affects?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I get rid of unwanted OpenOffice side affects?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Ahh, can I ask a few questions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 12:22 AM PST

Why did you go with Open Office and not the newer LibreOffice?

As to homepage settings, isn't that just a setting we control?
Bob

Collapse -
Netscape
by pgc3 / January 15, 2013 1:35 AM PST

Geeez, I didn't know that anyone used Netscape any more...and you are right, Libre Office is the way to go.

Collapse -
Netscape
by jackw1926 / January 15, 2013 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: Netscape
Geeez, I didn't know that anyone used Netscape any more...

Sorry, typo... I use Firefox not Netscape. I must have had a senior moment.
Collapse -
Answers
by jackw1926 / January 15, 2013 9:37 PM PST
Why did you go with Open Office and not the newer LibreOffice?

Because I use Open Office on another system and I am somewhat familiar with it and, at this point, I have never heard of LibreOffice before.

As to homepage settings, isn't that just a setting we control?

It is supposed to be but that is one of my problems, I change it in Tools > Options > General and it works until the next time I use Netscape and it gets changed back.
Collapse -
Now that sounds like malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Answers
Collapse -
Open Office in any version never changed the home pag
by jackw1926 / January 16, 2013 9:36 PM PST

I beg to differ: The version that I downloaded just the other day did! It changed the home page in both Firefox and IE and added a tab to Google Chrome with the same link. As noted above, changing Firefox back only works until you end it and then start it up again.

Thanks for the link, I'll give a try.

Collapse -
Re: OO
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 9:45 PM PST

What version did you download from where (link to download page please)? And, just to check, what was the exact size of the installer?

Kees

Collapse -
Download
by jackw1926 / January 17, 2013 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re: OO
Collapse -
Norton Internet Security
by jackw1926 / January 17, 2013 12:40 AM PST

I should have mentioned earlier that I did a full system scan using a freshly updated Norton Internet Security. It found a few tracking cookies but nothing else of interest...

Collapse -
So no scans with tools that Grif noted?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 12:42 AM PST

Norton only picks up so much. You can imagine our looks when a client says their PC does not have a virus because "I have Norton."
Bob

Collapse -
Norton
by jackw1926 / January 17, 2013 10:00 PM PST

Don't sell Norton short. I ran their Reputation Scan and found some interesting stuff. It flagged 1 "Bad" DLL, 16 "Poor" DLLs and 1 "Poor" EXE that had all been "Downloaded from an known origin" just a few minutes after the openofficesuite-setup.exe file was downloaded. This led me to a couple of hidden directories (TidyNetwork.com & TNT2) that had been created at the same time under "C:\Documents and Settings\Jack Weaver\Local Settings\Application Data" and they had a whole bunch of other files as well as the ones that Norton flagged. I think that I have located the cancer now I have to figure out how to excise it. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
I didn't sell it short. I shared the story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Norton

If you found the file you want gone, as the movie line goes -> "We have ways."

From booting to safe mode to booting a LiveCD (I use linux ones) I can delete any file.
Bob

Collapse -
Point taken...
by jackw1926 / January 18, 2013 2:05 AM PST

Okay, I see your point...

You're lucky, with Linux, and with eCS which I use for the support of my website, I could do the same. With Windows XP which I use for my personal stuff and where I have the problem, I have to be more cautious. Microsoft is not famous for making it's software forgiving and I'm not as familiar with it's fine points as I should be, beside it's not the file, its 3 directories and 54 files and I have no idea at all how they have gained access to my browsers' home page and search engine settings and output.

I hope that I can get both my website support and my personal stuff off of eCs and XP and under Linux by the end of the year but I have never used Linux. I worked with a Unix based system for a short time but that was 30 years ago...

Anybody out that is an XP user????

Collapse -
Sure, we can do that too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Point taken...

Let's say that the user can't click around the screens to open a folder and delete a file on Linux because it's Linux (looks the same to me in the GUI). Strange but let's go with that. But first let me state the it's a LiveCD with no install so I never have to touch the XP OS or install Linux.

-> http://download.cnet.com/BartPE-Bootable-Live-Windows-CD-DVD/3000-2094_4-10611131.html

Tip: Use the Direct Download Link.

So here you go. A LiveCD for XP users.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.