Networking & Wireless

General discussion

how can i get online while traveling

by werone / February 1, 2005 10:37 PM PST

I have a hp laptop wireless built in what are my options to get online in my car while im traveling ? Is there new things availaBLE ,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how can i get online while traveling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how can i get online while traveling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reply to: How Can I get Online While Traveling?
by dejola / February 18, 2005 8:55 AM PST

If you download Network Stumbler and have your laptop on and open with Stumbler running you will get audible alerts as wireless networks come within range. A graphic display will tell you if the network is secured or unsecured and how strong the signal strength is.

Otherwise, wherever you park your car on the street in, say Manhattan (NYC), you can click on your wireless adapters configuration manager to look for available wirless networks within range connect to them.

Collapse -
accessing internet when travelling
by Vicks / February 26, 2005 9:19 AM PST

we access the internet using our 3585i Nokia cellphone via usb data cable. We travel about 6 mo. a year and it works great in our motorhome. It is SLOW but beats going to a library or internet cafe.

Collapse -
Rent a broadband card...
by Branatee / December 3, 2008 4:44 AM PST

Well, my thought is that you can rent a mobile broadband card for the time that you will need to access the internet away from your home. I found a website that actually rents out the mobile broadband cards by the week or the month without having you sign up for a 2 year contract. It is really neat for people who have internet at home and just need it for a business trip or vacation but don't want to carry the cost when you get back home. Just an idea check them out www.WifiRents.com

Collapse -
how can i get online while traveling
by estherdavid6 / December 5, 2008 3:39 PM PST

I use a Sprint PCS connection through my cell phone. You can purchase a USB from them to connect your phone to your laptop.

Collapse -
Anyone notice the DATE of the original question?
by Coryphaeus / December 5, 2008 9:53 PM PST

Their problem is probably solved by now.

Collapse -
Wireless internet while traveling
by Branatee / January 23, 2009 6:05 AM PST

I know of one company that will actually rent out mobile broadband cards, WifiRents.com In the past I have rented from them for vacations and I was very pleased with the service. They will rent the mobile broadband cards and/or routers by the week or month without having to sign a 2-year contract. Just a thought, hopefully this helps. Check them out www.WifiRents.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.