Storage forum

General discussion

How can I format a clickfree USB hard drive?

by EstamE6 / January 17, 2011 9:46 AM PST

My O/S is WinXP/SP2 and I have been given a 500gb Clickfree Portable Backup device. Unfortunately I have no use for a backup system but I do have a need to have a hard drive that I can store movies on and plug the Clickfree's USB into the front of my new DVD player and play a selected movie.

My problem is reading about this device haven't found anyone that can explain how to achieve this. Any help would be really appreciated .......Dave

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I format a clickfree USB hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I format a clickfree USB hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try gparted
by FrankQC / January 22, 2011 6:32 AM PST

Repartition the entire thing.

Collapse -
Use WinXP 'DiskMangement' to delete any partitions on the
by VAPCMD / January 22, 2011 8:23 AM PST

external. Then recreate them as you want to and then format the partiton(s) for the OS.

You can search and find the step-by-step process almost anywhere on the WEB.

VAPCMD

PS...Just make sure you don't delete, create or format partitions on the wrong drive.

Collapse -
I used DISKPART to get my Clickfree drive on line
by KRende / April 15, 2011 1:57 PM PDT

Try using DISKPART by typing in the following commands:

DISKPART
LIST DISK (remember the drive number, say X)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION X
ACTIVE
FORMAT FS=NTFS (format took a couple hours)
ASSIGN
EXIT

Then I went to Computer Management and disabled the Clickfree device, rebooted, went back to Computer Management and enabled the Clickfree device. The drive came online without the CDFS partition mapped to a separate drive. Looks and acts like a normal USB drive now.

Collapse -
Correction to previous DISPART instructions...sorry
by KRende / April 15, 2011 2:09 PM PDT

DISKPART
LIST DISK (remember the drive number, say X)
SELECT DISK X
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION
ACTIVE
FORMAT FS=NTFS (format took a couple hours)
ASSIGN
EXIT

Collapse -
Need to disable the drive in Computer Management as well
by KRende / April 16, 2011 12:26 AM PDT

I took the Clickfree drive to work and connected it to my Windows XP computer, and the small Clickfree drive has to be disabled on the computer it is attached to in Computer Management. Unfortunately, when the Clickfree drive is first connected to a computer and accessed, it copies files to the useable partition which I end up re-deleting each time.

To deactivate the small Clickfree DVD/CD-Rom drive:

go to "Computer Management" (in XP it's via "All Programs", "Accessories", "Administrative Tools")
select "Disk Management"
right-click on the small Clickfree DVD/CD-Rom drive
select "Properties"
select the "Hardware" tab
select the "Clickfree DVD/CD-Rom drive"
click "Properties"
go to "Device Usage"
select "Do not use this device (disable)"

Again, you have to do this for each computer you connect it to if you don't want to see that little mapped Clickfree DVD/CD-Rom drive.

Collapse -
Thanks so much
by drmarvin2k5 / August 22, 2011 12:31 PM PDT

I got this drive for $35, but with that stupid software, it was really annoying. This fixed it perfectly.

Collapse -
Done.
by rdenh1 / June 14, 2011 8:28 AM PDT

WINDOWS 7
1. My Computer
2. Right Click on one of the two clickfree drives
3. Properties
4. Hardware Tab
5.0 Select Clickfree Disk Drive > Properties > Uninstall driver
5.1 Select Clickfree CD drive > Properties > Disable Driver

Unplug backup and then plug it in again, a window should come up asking you to format it and format it how you want.

This is not a complete fix (as it is simply stopped/hidden not removed) but it allows you to use it as a normal hard drive minus the 131 or so mb.

Collapse -
Formatting a Clickfree USB drive
by bbdfw / September 18, 2011 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Done.

My O/S is Windows 7. I want to delete the CDFS partition on my Clickfree 1 Tb USB drive so that I can use the drive as a NTFS drive. Under my computer, properties does not open when the CF storage drive is right clicked. The driver disable and uninstall options are greyed out under the CF_system drive. I found that I can access these drivers by using disc management. Under hardware I assume the listed unlabled drive following the CF DVD/CD is the drive that I want to uninstall its driver?

Collapse -
(NT) Please don't crosspost.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2011 1:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank You!
by war100war100 / November 25, 2011 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Done.

Created this account just to say Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.