Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

How can I find out if someone is spying on me?

by ljvhelp / April 8, 2012 4:28 PM PDT

My friend recently moved in with me and is now sharing my wireless internet which is secure (but I had to share this password with my friend when he moved in). My friend is rarely home but leaves his laptop on (its closed but the lights are flashing on the side so I know its on). I have asked my friend why he leaves his laptop on when he isn't home and his response was that he pays the electric bill so why do I care. I am very suspicious about whether or not he is spying on me with his computer whether it be recording me or through spyware/keylogger programs I need to find a way to protect my information on my computer and find out if he is spying on me or not. Any advice on how I can figure this out and protect my privacy would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I find out if someone is spying on me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I find out if someone is spying on me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How can I find out if someone is spying on me?
by Ralphw62 / April 8, 2012 11:16 PM PDT

if you can...post whats in the runnin processes of the Task manager.
most( not always) times you can find something there.
what password did you share? you computer or the network?

Collapse -
Answer
Some things which might help..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 12:08 AM PDT

ljvhelp..

It might help to..

• Create only one post. Duplicate posts only leads to confusion and a duplication of work for those who wish to help. It's why I'm going to delete your other post. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

• It would also help to know WHY you feel your "so-called" friend is spying on you. We don't need any personal information, only the behavior your system is exhibiting, which leads you to believe it might be compromised.

• What have you tried thus far? In other words, what tools have you utilized?

Have you tried scanning with the basics? Like your anti-virus? Or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and/or SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition? You might also want to give Process Explorer a try, if you haven't done so already. In part, it will show a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts.

You might want to read through some prior threads (where the same question has been asked) found as a result of a forum search.

A couple of examples: How do I tell for sure that I am being spied on?. And how can I tell if someone put a bug to spy on me in my pc?.

There is no such thing as too many details. Help us better help you.
Carol

Collapse -
I see you are already receiving help...
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 1:21 AM PDT

ljvhelp..

Prior to submitting the above post, I hadn't seen you were also receiving help at the other forum you posted at. Instead of deleting that post, which were my prior intentions, I'm going to lock this one instead.

I posted in that thread, and asked if you would kindly only create one post (at one forum) in the future.

Thanks again for your understanding! And best of luck...

Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.