Storage forum

Question

How can I delete my partition?

by wolfrain9483 / January 22, 2013 4:03 AM PST

I have an old Windows Vista system with the C drive capacity of about 76Gb.

I have Unallocated space of 5Gb and then next to it the C drive of 70Gb but the Unallocated space is listed before the C drive.

Have tried to extend volume from the C drive partition but it's grayed out. Have tried to make the unallocated space into usable space and then giving it a hard drive name to see if I can then delete it and then see if I can extend the volume at that point but that didn't assist me.

Any ideas? Would appreciate any help

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I delete my partition?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I delete my partition?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You can't extend when the space is before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 4:05 AM PST

And if you delete the C partition you won't have an OS to boot to.

If you have a good backup copy and a backup copy of that you can try GPARTED to move the partition.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
5 GB isn't worth worrying about
by wpgwpg / January 22, 2013 4:08 AM PST

With the size of today's hard drives, 5 GB is nothing. You'd likely do more harm than good since that partition was probably put there by your manufacturer for a good reason. It may contain recovery info or it may be used for security or other purposes. Windows provides a disk management tool under the Administrative Tools applet of the Control Panel, but I just remind you that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Maybe the better approach is to get a larger HDD...5GBs
by VAPCMD / January 22, 2013 9:26 AM PST

is a pittance and you'll be back need more in a month or less.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I wonder if they didn't tell all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 9:36 AM PST

Such as they have one of those early 10,000 or 15,000 RPM drives and paid dearly for it and want to eek out that last GB.

I can see that (and wonder if such drives do fly.)
Bob

Collapse -
Possible I guess but running Vista and trying
by VAPCMD / January 23, 2013 9:24 AM PST

to regain use of 5GBs says 'nah'.

Keep up the good work !

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.