Mac OS forum

General discussion

How can I convert System 6.1 disks to System 10.5?

by Rindge52 / March 12, 2011 6:13 AM PST

I came across three 5-1/4" floppies from my discarded Apple IIci (System 6.1, if I remember correctly) to my new Apple ibook (System 10.5) These are very important text files to me and if I could get a printout I could scan them into my ibook. Or is there a company that could convert these filed ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I convert System 6.1 disks to System 10.5?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I convert System 6.1 disks to System 10.5?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure these are 5-1/4?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2011 6:19 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Sorry! They are 3.5" floppies--not 5'1/4" floppies.
by Rindge52 / March 12, 2011 6:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Now we can talk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2011 9:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Can you clarify?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2011 6:31 AM PST

What is converting a disk?

If it just are text files (which doesn't include files from a word processor!) there's no need for converting the files. They will be readable in Notepad on any Windows PC that has a diskette reader that can read those diskettes (and, by the way, any Mac also).

So maybe your question is: how to read a diskette on a machine that doesn't have a diskette drive? That's easy to answer: you can't.

Just to console you: I lost some info I only had on 5-1/4" floppies when my last 5-1/4" drive died back in 1998 or so. Not so smart: I should have taken the precaution to copy that files to a 3.5" diskette, of course, but I postponed it too long.

And a warning: I also lost some information I only had on 3.5" diskettes because they degraded after 5 years and gave read errors.

Diskettes never were (and never will be) a good way to store information. Just for temporaray storage and a nicd way to move them between different machines. Surprisingly, that's the same with external hdd's at the moment, although they are slightly more reliable then diskettes.

Kees
Kees

Collapse -
Files were done in Microsoft Word, and can Notepad read them
by Rindge52 / March 12, 2011 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: Can you clarify?

These 3.5" floppies were done using Microsoft Word and can Notepad read them? Can I still buy a diskette reader for my ibook 10.5? Instead of using the word "converting," I should have used "upgrading." I want to go from a floppy system 6.1 to a CD system 10.5. Are there any companies that could print me out a hard copy?

Collapse -
Re: Word
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2011 9:09 PM PST

That makes it even easier. Any Mac or PC with a diskette drive and either MS Office or Open Office installed could be used to read and print those documents. In fact, any Mac or PC with a diskette drive will be able to copy them to a USB-stick for further processing on your new iBook, even without an office program installed.

I don't think it's needed to buy a USB connected diskette drive for a one time use like this. You might find a PC somewhere (friend, family, work, public library) that still has a diskette drive.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks everybody! I believe you answered my question.
by Rindge52 / March 13, 2011 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Word
Collapse -
Let's not get too hasty here.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 15, 2011 9:58 AM PDT

While it is true that any Mac with a diskette drive attache should be able to pull the files off the disks and have them read with MS Word, the same cannot be said for any PC.

The Windows machine will not recognize the disk format, same as a Windows machine cannot recognize the current Mac format.

P

Collapse -
converting your files
by davina85 / September 25, 2011 1:21 PM PDT

If the files were done on an old microsoft word program if you have a older version of office on ur 10.5 system you should be able to open them, as long as you have a usb floppy drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.