Computer Help forum

General discussion

How can I connect my Laptop to my Plasma TV?

by verboten / January 30, 2006 2:04 AM PST

I have a Dell Latitude notebook (D600), and the Phillips PF429630A Plasma. The TV has PC input as one of the features, and supports the following connection types:
-HDMI
-Component
-Composite
-S-Video

My Dell Lattitude has VGA and S-Video out.

I thought it would be as simple as plugging the S-Video straight from the TV to the PC, and then using the Alt+F8 key to toggle the screen output... apparently this doesnt work.

My guess is the Alt+F8 function only works when I use the VGA connection, so if this is the case, how can I get the S-Video to appear on the TV -OR- is there a cable out there that can convert VGA to either HDMI, Composite, S-Video, or Component?

thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I connect my Laptop to my Plasma TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I connect my Laptop to my Plasma TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you read your owner's manual?
by Coryphaeus / January 30, 2006 3:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Read the manual already, but still have questions
by verboten / January 30, 2006 5:48 AM PST

coryphaeus -

Yes, I have read that part of the manual, seemed to be the only place where the topic is covered. However I don't have DVI output on my laptop, correct? My understanding is that DVI output is unique port and not the same as VGA, and I only have VGA and S-Video.

I am not well-versed in computer hardware though, so perhaps I am missing something.

I appreciate your help on this, can you correct me if I am not understanding this the right way? If I am, what are your recommendations? Do you know of a VGA-Component converter or a VGA-HDMI converter? I googled and found the former offered from ATI, but it made it sound like it was only compatible with their graphics cards...

Also, what about the quick solution of S-Video? Why can't I get that to work, do I need to configure this in my laptop to output the image to the TV?

Thanks

Collapse -
I don't think a laptop will work.
by Coryphaeus / January 30, 2006 8:45 AM PST

There are some high dollar DVI output cards out there, but I can't find one at the moment. These are designed for desktops with PCI or AGP slots. I don't think you can get a laptop to work.

Collapse -
Ask "is this worth it?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 3:05 AM PST

Some want to do this connection to play a DVD on the laptop and display on the TV. After all the trouble the owner is horrified to find either such is prohibited (a software license issue), doesn't work well or costs more than a DVD player from S-mart.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=VGA+TV finds such convertors but I find them only useful for specific needs.

Bob

Collapse -
Good point, help me get to the right answer
by verboten / January 30, 2006 6:00 AM PST

You raise an excellent point, which is why I would like to test this out as quickly as possible using the cheaper methods (i.e. S-Video since I already have the cable).

I don't plan to use my Laptop as a DVD player, as I already have a progressive scan 1080i upconverting DVD player. However, I did want to explore some of the following possibilities with my laptop before investing in a Media Center PC:
-use as monitor for general web surfing (depending on resolution of course)
-watch video files from my computer
-view photos
-listen to music (run sound to Denon S-301 receiver, video to TV)

I was hoping to see how the resolution looked with only the S-Video connection, but I can't figure out how to get the laptop to output the picture on the TV this way

I am also curious how much better the picture would look if I used a VGA-HDMI conversion cable compared to straight S-Video (assuming I get the latter working)

Collapse -
This will look ugly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 6:25 AM PST

"use as monitor for general web surfing (depending on resolution of course)"

Surfing at about 350 x 400 pixels is not going to be pretty.

-watch video files from my computer

Same.

-view photos

Ouch! My eyes.

-listen to music (run sound to Denon S-301 receiver, video to TV)

This will work.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.