Windows Vista forum

General discussion

How Can I Bounce Email?

by leonpurvis / March 21, 2008 8:01 PM PDT

For reasons that I don't want to go into, I want to be able to bounce email from Yahoo to its sender. I am running on Vista Home Premium on a Dell.

At this point, it is impractical for me to change email services.

I downloaded Mail Guard, but I can't get it to work because i get a screen message that says that my Pop mail isn't integrated with my smtp or some such thing which means absolutely NOTHING to me. There's some rudimentary direction for this program, but not much.

There's also Mail Washer which I understand will allow me to bounce an email back to the sender as undeliverable. I haven't tried that yet. I get the feeling that my limitations in understanding how to hook the frammazamma into the ntsrp pimpdad protocol is severely hampering my efforts.

For clarification purposes, I will stress that i am not looking for a spam filter or to manage undeliverable mail. I just want to bounce an email back to the sender as if it were undeliverable. Is there something that installs, configures itself nearly completely without my having to be a brain surgeon?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Can I Bounce Email?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Can I Bounce Email?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try MailWasher...
by glenn30 / March 21, 2008 11:57 PM PDT

I think it does what you want. I use it to delete or bounce junk mail before downloading from the server.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Nope. It doesn't work.
by leonpurvis / March 23, 2008 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Try MailWasher...

Mail Washer will delete mail from my mailbox, but it does not bounce it back to its sender. I have configured my Dell 531S (Vista) for my ISP (pop-server.**state****state** well as for Yahoo Plus (my email provider): port: 995 port: 465, (use authentication)

It deletes incoming mail but does not bounce it back. I've tried bouncing email that I've sent from my other email accounts, but nothing works. All spam filters are off). Configuring it for my ISP produces no results. I have tried using Yahoo's Pop3 configuration with RoadRunner's smtp and vice versa and had ZERO luck.

I tried Mail Guard and that one is even worse in trying to configure it. To me, MailGuard's instructions make no sense.

Collapse -
MailWasher bounce issue is probably...
by glenn30 / March 23, 2008 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope. It doesn't work.

in the "Settings". They can be quite intimidating and maybe take some experimenting. Too complicate for me to explain here. Once had the problem and used expertise of my brother to eventually get the bounce feature to work.

Sorry, am unable to offer more.

Collapse -
"bouncing" in general, is a "no no"
by jonah jones / March 24, 2008 12:27 AM PDT

(as it just adds to the load on the email system in general) although i can understand the feeling of satisfaction when you do it to a certain "undesirable" Wink

i would reccomend that you "delete from server" and "do not show deleted emails" using mailwasher (you may want to check whether mailwasher has 'problems' with Vista)

just my 2c worth

Collapse -
by rgfitz / March 24, 2008 12:38 AM PDT

I have used MailWasher since it first came out as shareware and now use MailWasher Pro.

"MailWasher Pro allows you to bounce unwanted mail right back to the spammer who sent it to you. This means that a fake, address not found message is sent back to the address the unwanted email originated from. Because the spammer thinks your address is not a valid email address, the bounce function in MailWasher Pro reduces the possibility of receiving more unwanted email from this address. Bouncing is particularly effective for newsletters and companies that take no notice of your unsubscribe requests.

Before you can bounce email, you must have selected the Enable bouncing of messages from this account option, when you added or imported the account to MailWasher Pro. For more information and to find out how to do this, see How to set up your account."

Collapse -
Thanks for bringing up some clarification...
by glenn30 / March 24, 2008 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: MailWasher

I do exactly as you mention and bounce only those that take no notice of my unsubscribe requests. Others are junk that I simply delete.

Collapse -
Here's the Rub
by leonpurvis / March 24, 2008 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: MailWasher

The Free version of EmailWasher comes with instructions, but it gives instructions for setting it up for Outlook and Windows Mail (or something like that). There's a referral to a website for other email services which led me to Yahoo. I subscribed to Yahoo Plus to get POP capability, and I followed its instructions which told me how to set up the POP and smpt and which ports to use. I fiddled with the port settings from what Yahoo recommends and then I interchanged them with EW's recommended default settings.Then I read somewhere I may need to use RoadRunner's configurations for POP and smpt. I monkeyed with three combinations of each and still no cigar.

At present, I can download my mail and the program will delete it for me (as if I couldn't do that myself) but it won't bounce it. I tried bouncing one Yahoo account to the one Yahoo account that EW supports. When that didn't work, I sent an email from Hotmail, which should have set off some bells. Nope.I checked to see if I had enabled the program to bounce mail, and i found that I was lucid enough to have done that (after having spent several hours in front of the computer screen).

The ad for EW says that it's Vista compatible.

Uh huh.

I don't think Vista is compatible with anything right out of the box, sort of like XP when it first came out. XP messed everything up for a lot of people. I lost my job, my marriage began to crumble, and my dog bit me.

So I went back to Win98 and the quality of my life improved drastically until Win98 supported almost nothing resembling digital technology.

Now I'm back to engaging in risky behavior with Vista, and I'm experiencing deja vu. The goldfish are eyeing me suspiciously, and I was attacked by a squirrel in my own backyard yesterday. Next weekend, I'm going to sit my five year-old down in front of my computer and see if she can set up EmailWasher. She's good at that sort of thing (Rubik's Cube, the DVD player, getting eBay customer service to respond to pleas for help, etc.). If she can't make it work, I'll have to move back into the Residence Inn or go back to Win98 until MS comes out with yet ANOTHER service pack, neither of which appeals to me.

Collapse -
Very funny post, leonpurvis...
by Tinybeeber / January 15, 2010 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the Rub

However, it doesn't help me to bounce emails with Mailwasher free or Pro. The advances in software development amaze me, but we still can't even bounce the occasional, unwanted email. Only two programs to to do this, unlike the lists of programs for most other categories. I have XP (primary OS) and Vista. Oh, well, back to Google. If anyone can shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
See Jonah's Post
by Jimmy Greystone / January 15, 2010 6:59 AM PST

See Jonah's post a little ways up.

These days, most spam is coming from people who are running out of date versions of programs with known security holes. Someone comes along, exploits one of those security flaws, and then sets up shop on that computer. Using it, along with hundreds, thousands, tens and even sometimes hundreds of thousands of others just like it.

So if you "bounce" email back, not only are you not going to fool anyone into thinking it's a legit email bounce, and not only are you adding unnecessary strain to an already overwhelmed email system, but you're just contributing your own brand of spam to the poor schmucks who are being taken advantage of and don't even know it.

If there was an easy solution to the spam problem, we wouldn't be here discussing things like we are right now. However, "bouncing" emails makes you no better than the spammers themselves.

Collapse -
bounce is good
by stormbringerr / February 21, 2010 3:26 PM PST

this is why i hated it when angelfire email was canceled in 2004 it had a built in bounce function and sometimes it is really needed

Collapse -
boune with clear....
by yeah-right-nz / December 11, 2010 8:20 AM PST

its a all or nothing job and im about to do it again, you end up losing the email address for about 3 to 6 months to make it work.. with clear the box holds about 10mgb you have to fill up your in box to the max after that they will be sent back to the sender. this works and very easy to do.

Collapse -
bouncing email
by kerryjonjon / April 25, 2011 12:56 AM PDT

have you tried bounce bully, they have a free version.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.