PC Applications forum

Resolved Question

How can I add a text file description to a downloaded file?

by dougiles / September 11, 2012 5:46 AM PDT

When using XP I had a right-click utility that allowed me to add a descriptive text file, in the same directory, to any file list in explorer. Is there a Windows 7 equivalent?

dougiles has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can I add a text file description to a downloaded file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can I add a text file description to a downloaded file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by dougiles

Collapse -
Re: utility
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 5:50 AM PDT

What happened when you installed that utility on your Windows 7 PC, just like you did long ago on your XP PC?
- Could you install it?
- Could you run it?
- Did it work?

It might help if you tell us the name of the utility and where you downloaded it from.

Kees

Collapse -
Maybe, FileNote?
by KenHusveg / September 11, 2012 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: utility
Collapse -
Re: utility
by dougiles / September 11, 2012 6:06 AM PDT

I'm old and decrepit and have forgotten the file name but when I right-clicked a file in explorer one of the drop down options was "file note". I bought a new computer with windows 7 installed so I did have the option to install it on Win7. I found the original utility on CNET Download. Thank you for the instant reply!

Collapse -
Re: download
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 7:39 AM PDT

That's why I save the installer/setup-program of every utility and program I download in a folder on my hard disk, and include that folder in my regular backup. Then I can always install it on any other or new PC without having to search for it again.
If it's a shareware program, I save the mail with the license code in the same folder.

I don't think I ever lost a program I wanted to use. Might be an idea for you also.

Kees

Collapse -
Maybe, FileNote
by dougiles / September 11, 2012 8:14 AM PDT

Yes! It was FileNote. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on Win7. Yet when I check "Control Panel/Programs and Features," it is listed as FileNote (Remove Only).

Collapse -
Try it with Q-Dir
by KenHusveg / September 11, 2012 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe, FileNote

On the Moon Software web site they say FileNote will work with 32-bit programs in 64-bit Windows. A possible work-around could be to tag files within a 32-bit file manager like Q-Dir.

I don't have 64-bit Windows so I haven't tested this out but I thought it might be worth a shot.

Collapse -
Maybe, FileNote
by dougiles / January 25, 2013 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe, FileNote
Happy File Note is now working. Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm not sure why but it is working as it was when I had XP. It works with both Q-Dir and Windows Explorer. Once again, thank you.
Collapse -
Answer
Simple File Annotator could be the solution
by przemsen / January 24, 2013 8:54 PM PST

Hello. I'm the author of generic tool that allows you to add description to any file. It works on all versions of Windows starting from XP. Here is the link: http://pjsen.eu/sfa/?lang=en

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.