How To forum

how can i access another computer remotely?

by linc1952 / March 31, 2012 8:04 AM PDT

My sister in law passed away last week and we need to remotely access her computer. We live on the east coast, she is on the west coast. We do have someone that will there to turn it on and allow access if needed. I am running xp pro...I have no idea the age of her computer or operating system..
I am hoping someone can help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how can i access another computer remotely?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how can i access another computer remotely?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Not what you want to hear but I'll suggest you
by Steven Haninger / March 31, 2012 8:02 PM PDT

might want to reach beyond the forums here and get on site help. While a generic answer can be obtained this way, step by step cannot. Who does this will need to know the OS of each to know whether or not such remote access is possible natively or if 3rd party software will be needed. XP and Win7 can offer remote access as long as both are Pro versions. Perhaps you can supply more information about the operating systems on both PCs, what type of internet service, your own expertise and capabilities, etc.

Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 31, 2012 8:15 PM PDT

with Steven, and it might get even more difficult.

If your sister-in-law used Windows with an account that was password protected, then even getting logged in to Windows may be a problem.

You need someone you know and trust and who has knowledge of the OS she used at that computer to step through this.

Collapse -
Re: remote access
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 31, 2012 8:30 PM PDT

Wouldn't it be much easier if you had that computer shipped to you? Just the case would be enough, if you have a spare keyboard, mouse and monitor, or could use those from your own PC temporarily.

Collapse -
access computer remotely
by charliescarface / April 1, 2012 12:04 AM PDT

If you have someone on the other end you can easily install LogMeIn Free and access the computer remotely. Once installed as long as her computer is turned on you can access it anytime you need to. I've not had any problem with compatibility, using it on XP, Vista, Win7 and my Mac's. If you need more specific help after reviewing LogMeIn site, let me know. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.