Phones forum

How can data saved in iPhone can be secured?

by adamhmiles / June 19, 2013 10:06 PM PDT

iPhone is not the safest of the devices but certainly one of the most used devices. In the modern era smartphones are also used as a mobile data backup. As these phone can perform almost like a computer, many of the important folders are saved in iPhone. As research suggest iPhone is one of the basic sources of data loss. How can that data can be secured? Any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How can data saved in iPhone can be secured?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How can data saved in iPhone can be secured?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 11:11 PM PDT

Remember that application links will be treated as SPAM and will be deleted. Feel free to mention product names.

Collapse -
I'm going with no. It can't be secured today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 12:59 AM PDT

Given that there are forensic devices that dump an iPhone's contents without having to know any password or such then it's clear you can't secure data in the iPhone.

On top of that any idea that you could have an app encrypt the data is also busted as you look for the file system on the iPhone as well as how apps make their way onto the iPhone.

-> The only way to secure your data from such tools is to not put the data onto the iPhone or the Android phone.

Shocking, isn't it?

Collapse -
Software rumor
by adamhmiles / June 23, 2013 3:26 PM PDT

How about a software named Folder Lock for iPhone? I searched for iPhone security and I found this software. I am hesitant in buying it.

Collapse -
Ask them
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Software rumor

We know the issues and can read the current discussions but at no time has Apple exposed their file system so with that nugget, tell us why you could ever trust the security of these phones?

Collapse -
Need opinion
by adamhmiles / June 23, 2013 9:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Ask them

I do not trust their security that is why I am asking for some software bro.

Collapse -
Re: secure
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Need opinion

What date do you want to secure and against what?

For example, to secure against data loss you backup your iPhone to your PC. To secure against access from strangers you put a passcode on your iPhone.

Collapse -
by adamhmiles / June 23, 2013 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: secure

Yes I want to make mi iPhone data secure from breach as well as from the access of strangers.

Collapse -
Then my answer is no app can help. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2013 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: @Secure

Because look at Apple not exposing what file system is in use or access to it. And those forensic machines that can suck the data out of a locked phone.

Certainly the person with the usual forensic tool is a stranger and since they get access to the what Apple won't reveal then it's game over.

And let's not get comfy with Android as you have CIQ to research on that platform.

Collapse -
PS. In case you have or not seen this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2013 12:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Good to know that
by adamhmiles / June 24, 2013 5:56 PM PDT

So why don'y you help me?

Collapse -
I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to know that

I shared that even with an app, these forensic tools reach around and dump the phone's contents. I also offered some link so you can catch up on the issue.

We also know about other security or privacy issues on the Android and iPhones so if you want to discuss that, we can.

However, given the current designs and OSes, you won't be able to secure your data on said phones.

-> I see your last reply and I think you're coming up to speed.

Collapse -
by adamhmiles / June 24, 2013 5:55 PM PDT

You made a valid point. So, is the best way to secure my data in iPhone is not to save data in there?

Collapse -
Just don't save any critical data there, yes (n/t)
by Pepe7 / June 25, 2013 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Remedy

Collapse -
by adamhmiles / June 25, 2013 4:40 PM PDT

That is disappointing, keeping data in iPhone is quite handy

Collapse -
Then be sure you don't lose it ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 4:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Disappointment

and don't give it to anybody else.

Collapse -
But the risk always alive
by adamhmiles / June 25, 2013 9:31 PM PDT

I will not give my iPhone anyone, but, there is always a threat of losing my phone or getting it theft.

Collapse -
I understand your concern.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Remedy

.....but I think you might try addressing your concerns directly with Apple. I don't think you will be able to download an application that will solve your dilemma.

Collapse -
I have done that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2013 2:12 AM PDT

At a few places. The problem with iOS as it stands is that the file system is not exposed. You can't be sure what's in there today.

Any app that encypted data must decrypt said data so without seeing the full file system you can't be sure that there is not an unencrypted version in the phone's storage ready for forensic tools to get at.

Android is not much better unless you go get some other rom that has been cleaned of CIQ.

Collapse -
Bird and Profitt
by adamhmiles / June 27, 2013 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: I have done that.

I agree with you both, I assume that this insecurity has cut off the potential of IOS. Am I right?

Collapse -
Absolutely not
by Pepe7 / June 28, 2013 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Bird and Profitt

Understand, 99.9999 % of folks do not store such 'mission critical' information in their phones, nor do they intend to. It's a non-issue, basically. iOS is very popular for other, obvious reasons. Very user friendly and easy to get started with.

Collapse -
I have to go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2013 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Bird and Profitt

iOS is fine for most folk. But to put your company information on any such device is your choice. Now that you know the deep issues.

In parting and if you want to reply, do so to the top post.

Did Eric Schmidt (google) take any data on a phone with him on his recent trip to China?

(I guess the old do bears do something in the woods question now has an alternative form!)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.