TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How are you hooked up to watch TV?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 19, 2007 1:48 AM PST

Satellite (What company, and how do you like it?)
Cable (What company, and how do you like it?)
Over-the-air broadcast (rabbit ears)
Other (What is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How are you hooked up to watch TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How are you hooked up to watch TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HD Digital Cable
by Get_Shorty / November 19, 2007 2:17 AM PST

Cable. It's Comcastic!

Collapse -
Bad cable experience from Comcast
by how / November 19, 2007 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: HD Digital Cable

I receive my HD & digital TV via Comcast cable. The HD channels are terrible! They are always freezing, audio stutters and random picture pixelation. This get unbearable during changes in the weather.
Thought cable was supposed to eliminate this type of problem?
Analog channels are OK.
Yak!

Collapse -
bad cable experience
by tradervick / November 19, 2007 5:25 AM PST

I have Comcast cable and no HD and very recently have had the same problems with picture breaking up, squares show that don't fit the scene, audible blackouts. Also, recently right when Dr. Phil or something of interest is on the station will make a terrible sound and show a pictore of something that is supposedly testing the system (Comcast). Of course, the problems never oocur during commercials because they are paying for air time, but then, so are we. The PUC just increased their rates to charge us again, too. But, what's the choice?

Collapse -
Misconception - Myths - Explaned Theorys
by WireMan111111 / March 1, 2010 12:36 PM PST

Why don't people quit trying to act like they are Telecommunication Technicians. Most problems people have had with COMCAST are easily fixed but rarely taken care of until its too late and the person is "tired of Comcast".
Keep your cable boxes away from other electronics or it will get too hot to function normally and will casue "Pixilating" or distortion of the picture. It's not Camcasts electrical signal ruining your picture.
Learn to use what you got or you will probably misuse it. Click! uses some of the same cable boxes as Comcast.
Instead of localising all your money to the city workers, why not distibute it between trained Technicians and a willing team of sales and customer service reps... I could go on and on but you're probably not reading this far anyways.

Collapse -
IPTV and DirectTV
by brendajo / November 23, 2007 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: HD Digital Cable

I live in North Dakota and have IPTV. No HD from them yet (but coming soon, as this is pretty new technology). So I also have DirectTV HD. Love it. I am waiting for my new dish coming on Dec 3rd so we can get the additional HD channels.

Collapse -
Cable
by bevillan / November 19, 2007 2:55 AM PST

I use:

- Comcast Cable
- OTA Terk HDTVi antenna (since my local Comcast doesn't carry CBS-HD)

Collapse -
(NT) COMCAST CABLE via CableCARD. WORKS JUST FINE!!!
by Riverledge / November 27, 2007 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Cable
Collapse -
DishNetwork HD
by jcrobso / November 19, 2007 3:39 AM PST

It's great!!! John

Collapse -
Dish Satilite
by kbrundige / November 19, 2007 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: DishNetwork HD

Had so many providers, as we've moved often. The worst we've had is Charter Cable. After much research and investigation, we went back to Dish. (we had recently moved to new house in new town). Yeah, like all satillite, we have outages when rare extremely bad storms hit. But, moving TV to Dish and internet to Bellsouth has been wonderful. Cheapest, best service and excellent support.
Karen Brundige
Tennessee

Collapse -
Dish Network HD
by cjhughes10 / November 30, 2007 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: DishNetwork HD

Do You get Washed out in big rain storms? We do & we hate it!

Joe386

Collapse -
TV source
by BobW65 / November 19, 2007 3:39 AM PST

Click! network (Pierce County/Tacoma, WA only) with Tacoma City Utilities
Service excellent; equal to and often better than Comcast

Collapse -
Cable
by lisabrencis39 / November 19, 2007 3:45 AM PST

I have Rogers cable and I love it! Tried satellite for about 4 months and couldn't wait to get it removed, the heck with the associated fees. Satellite (at least, satellite in Ontario, Canada) doesn't have The Movie Network On Demand nor does it have Rogers On Demand. Both of these have tons of movies available at any time you want to watch. One is free and one you pay for per movie. Satellite only has Pay Per View (which Rogers also has, I might add). In the 4 months that we had the satellite PVR, we had it repaired once and replaced once. I also find that my TV (55" Sony HD) shows a better picture with the cable vs the satellite. Thanks but no thanks!

Collapse -
TV
by pcadragna / November 19, 2007 3:45 AM PST

Dishnetwork great reception
HD TV is a must

Pete

Collapse -
Digital TV
by longjohn / November 19, 2007 3:46 AM PST

We must be lucky in the UK. I have both Satelite (SKY) and digital terrestial installed at my home. The later i installed myself. there is also an internet service which supplys Freeview services over my broadband connections. To be honest it was painless to go digital. I am not quite a silver surfer (Mid 50's), but have found the new tecnology very easy to grasp and understand.
Soi anyone out there who thinks its a daunting thing, wait till u see the picture quality and you will wonder how you did without it.

Collapse -
Re: How are you hooked up to watch TV?
by cfmcguire / November 19, 2007 3:46 AM PST

DirecTV, standard definition
If it were't for PBS, NASA television and NFL Sunday ticket, plus the fact that the Packers are winning, I would bag the whole thing. There is less and less content every day. A one hour "documentary" has enough content to fill a 30 minute program. I would speculate that one half of the channels that we receive are either religious broadcasting, or someone trying to sell me something that I don't have any interest in. I am afraid that by the time that digital broadcasting takes over, I won't be watching. We have satellite because in the mountains where we live in SW Montana, It is quite difficult to get over the air signals. No cable, either, so internet is dial up or satellite by the way. We use Direcway aka Hughes

Collapse -
Both Direct Cable/QAM and Set-top Digital Cable
by 8IronBob / April 15, 2008 9:09 AM PDT

I know this sounds like overkill, but I have a set-top box for digital cable from Cox Communications, and I also have direct cable as well, which I also pull QAM signals from. Looks like a good setup.

Collapse -
Charter cable - lousy
by rmf / November 19, 2007 3:46 AM PST

Charter cable - lousy

Collapse -
DirecTV HD -- love it!
by Karl Konnerth / November 19, 2007 3:47 AM PST

I just upgraded from an HD DirecTivo (HR10) to the HR20 DirecTV DVR. I now get a lot more HD channels (they say 70+ at this point) and they look great! I still use an OTA antenna to get the few HD channels they don't rebroadcast. I am less disappointed in the switch from Tivo to DirecTV's software than I thought I would be. And so far customer service has been pretty good, even through a complicated upgrade process.

---Karl

Collapse -
DirecTV Performance
by williamwacker3 / November 19, 2007 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: DirecTV HD -- love it!

Generally it's ok, howecer I have 2 gripes:

1: During bad weather (Thunderstorms, etc.) receptiom often disappears. We get the dreaded "Searching for Signal". We have 2 seperate dishes & receivers so its not a dish alignment issue (confirmed by Dish Network itself).

2: Their video compression scheme causes many programs with low-contrast scenes to appear stepped in just a few brightness levels! In other words there are very few grey scale levels. VERY ANNOYING!!!

Collapse -
cableone
by knelson276 / November 19, 2007 3:52 AM PST

my provider is cableone, and while the service has been very good(1 outage for about 30 min in the last 3 years), i do feel it is overpriced. I don't know what it cost in other areas but they have the monopoly in this area. You either go to them for tv and internet or get satellite and dial up.

Collapse -
How I watch TV
by weslambert / November 19, 2007 3:55 AM PST

Cable.
Bresnan Communications
Provides High Speed internet, Phone and Cable TV.
A little slow bringing HDTV channels on-line, I guess Billings, Montana (where I live!) is still a third world state.
Other than that it is nice to have all your communications in a single package. only one (big!) bill a month.

Wes

Collapse -
Comcast
by mjd420nova / November 19, 2007 3:56 AM PST

Formerly it was TCI, was back when cable first started. I've always had the old analog extended basic subscription and only recently went with the digital line up. My reason for going digital was that I was paying a little less than $90. a month for analog TV and cable internet. A rep offered the digital service with free HBO, VOIP and the same cable internet for $99. a month for a year. I couldn't pass it up, such a deal for only ten bucks more a month than I was paying. Now I still have an old analog TV, a big 50 inch rear projection unit I got on a barter deal for computer services rendered. I don't have the remote and some of the channels are stuck on the SAP audio so I have to feed it with composite video and audio but that doesn't matter. I will get a converter box to receive the OTA broadcasts when they come out and I can get the subsidity from the feds. The unit still has an excellent picture and a bi-yearly cleaning keeps the picture sharp and clear. The switch over to digital only took a week to get hashed out and the services I was paying for delivered. Can't beat the price and I really needed a new phone line anyway, besides the landline from ATT.

Collapse -
Dish w/ HD
by mcummins / November 19, 2007 3:58 AM PST

Love the sports, movies not so much.

Collapse -
How are you hooked up?
by jkilvik / November 19, 2007 4:00 AM PST

I have Comcast. Programing Sucks. Service is OK.

Collapse -
Directv
by gtmajor / November 19, 2007 4:03 AM PST

Directv HD DVR

I've been had the new DVR for over a year after switching from a TIVO box. I haven't experienced any of the problems some were complaining about. I love it and wouldn't go back to cable. I've been a Directv subcriber for years.

Collapse -
I watch Satellite TV - Dish Network all the way
by tmsimmon / November 19, 2007 4:05 AM PST

After moving into my current home 10 years ago we went from Direct TV to Cable... and Cable was nasty. We researched everything and purchased a DPL TV and went to Dish. Why Dish? It offers the best deals. All the Satellite installers that did both Dish & Direct told me that Dish was the best. I have the HDTV package and no purchasing of equipment at the time Direct TV wanted 700.00 for HDTV. Also I have a free DVR with HDTV that is only offered with Dish. Another factor was Kings Basketball games... they are just about all on Dish as part of my package. I would highly recommend DISH TV. I've been a happy customer for over 8 years.

Tim

Collapse -
by stressedgoddess / November 19, 2007 4:06 AM PST

We're with Direct TV, and so far so good. When we moved to our new home we gave up digital cable for this, as it was offered via Verizon Telephone. The picture quality is great, and we've only had a few problems with our service, mostly due to weather (those high powered Santa Anas we get in Cali, but they sent someone out to stablize our dish and now that's hardly an issue at all). We're also subscribers to the NFL Sunday Ticket as my dh is a fan of a team out of state, so it's nice that he can watch a game that we normally wouldn't see. We also recently upgraded to get the DVR, and while I think the DVR we had via our cable company was a bit easier to use, it's still nice to have nonetheless. It's easy for our little ones to use to watch movies, and keeps their hands off the dvd's and the dvd player. Overall, there wasn't too much difference between our digital cable (being able to get east and west coast feeds on both) and satellite, and that includes the switch we made from our old tv to our new plasma.

Collapse -
We have Direct TV and its great.
by John Randolph / November 19, 2007 4:08 AM PST

Picture quality and sound are outstanding. We have three TV's connected, two with TiVo's and one with Direct TV's DVR. The TiVo are the greatest but do not handle HDTV. The Direct TV's DVR handles HDTV, but other than that it's a disaster. If TiVo had a unit for Direct TV (currently only available on Cable) I'd buy it now.

Collapse -
DirecTV w/ 5LNB and HDDVR
by jhoppy1 / November 19, 2007 4:08 AM PST

I've had Directv since 2001 and HD since the summer of 2001 ... I recently upgraded to the new HD package with the HDDVR .. so far no problems and the picture looks great! Fortunately I'm pretty tech savvy, as the Directv Installer didn't have any idea how to set up the receiver, DVR or HD formatting. My new HD channels didn't show up at first because the tech didn't tell the receiver I had the 5lnb dish (I had to go thru the whole setup procedure again after the tech left) ... the local (Boston) HD channels (CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX) are carried by Directv but no PBS HD?????? what's up with that!! I used to receive them OTA, but took down my outside antenna when the new dish was installed .... so far so good and I'm loving the DVR feature!!

jim

Collapse -
Telephone
by Nigelaine / November 19, 2007 4:08 AM PST

AT&T U-verse, televison down phone lines. Logon anywhere in the world to see what you have recorded on your hove DVD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.