Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Hourglass constantly pops up next to cursor

by baydaver / December 19, 2012 10:12 PM PST

We have a Toshiba Satellite C655 laptop w/Windows 7
Very recently (last week) the hourglass will constantly pop up next to the cursor (as I am typing now) and yes performance seems to be a little slowed.
We do have Kaspersky Anti-virus 2013 installed as well.
I have not installed or downloaded anything recently either.
Could it be a misconfiguration somewhere or maybe parasites ? Should i download Spybot?
This is so annoying. Thanks for any help

baydaver has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hourglass constantly pops up next to cursor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hourglass constantly pops up next to cursor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by baydaver

Collapse -
Could be many things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 12:32 AM PST

The fan is normal. It upsets some laptop owners so laptop makers sometimes have an always on setting. Due to how these small motors work, I prefer the on by demand setting.

About the hourglass. YOU may not have installed anything but updated seem to happen a lot. Let's get a log file using an app I'll name after a WARNING. This app is a power tool. I am not telling you to do anything but get it's report. Getting the report does nothing. Running the app does nothing till you check box something and delete it. I want to use it and do nothing but get a log file.

Go get HIJACKTHIS (it's over at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hijackthis/ )

Armed with this you can research line by line to understand what is running and what runs at startup and more.

You can also use TASK MANAGER to end items you don't need and see if it goes away.

Common causes I encounter are printer monitors, usb drives and skype click to talk.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob ,,thanks again
by baydaver / December 20, 2012 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: Could be many things.

Your always very helpful here at CNET..Ill give that a try. By the way, we did purchase a new HP all in one printer with the ePrint feature. There WAS some recent downloading with that about 2 weeks ago..this issue with the hourglass began more than a week later,,could it still be a part of the problem?

Collapse -
I can't guess that. But thanks for the kind words.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: Bob ,,thanks again
Collapse -
Hi all an- update
by baydaver / December 21, 2012 12:30 AM PST

Yesterday evening, we were having a hard time to even open up Windows. I restarted in safe mode and was able to have the laptop's repair mode do its job..I also went on to do a system restore. The laptop this morning seemed to be somewhat normal currently.
I also downloaded the great Spybot app. and scaned the computer, removing many 'red' item results like.....
FastClick:
MediaPlex:
FastClick:
CasaleMedia:
WebTrendslive:

except for >> COUPONBAR<<
I get this on Spybot-
"this action may not be performed completely since you are not an administrator. If you want this performed for all users please run this application elevated as an administrator."

I double checked that I re-signed into ADMIN and rescanned -got the same result.
So now I cannot remove COUPONBAR and Ive seen that there are many with the same problem..What is the best way to remove this pesky nonsense?

Collapse -
Re: administrator.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: Hi all an- update

That's a common misunderstanding. Microsoft didn't make it easy for us by using the same term "administrator" for 2 different things.

Running a program when logged in as a user with administrative capabilities is NOT the same as choosing 'run as administrator' from the right click properties of the program. In that case it's "elevated". If you didn't do that, it's not "elevated", so it can't do what it needs to do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708/en-us is for Windows Vista, but I think most of it applies to Windows 7 also.

Kees

Collapse -
Hey there Kees"
by baydaver / December 21, 2012 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Re: administrator.

I signed out of my user name with administrative capabilities and then logged into the actual ADMIN of our laptop. So i am concerned as to why I cannot remove this 'couponbar' garbage.
Hey Bob,,if that's the case then I will do that.. thanks

Collapse -
Re: actual admin
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: Hey there Kees"

That's not what is required. Even the actual admin has to run the program in elevated mode ("run as administrator" in the right click menu). If the message then is the same it's a bug in the program that has to be fixed by the author, or there is something unexpected with your UAC settings.

Kees

Collapse -
wait a sec'
by baydaver / December 21, 2012 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: administrator.

My apologies for not trying out your advice before responding Kees'.
I did what you said I right clicked the Spybot icon and clicked on ' run as admin '..from there is once again spotted couponbar,,I clicked on 'fix selected' and this time Spybot says-
"Some problems couldn't be fixed; the reason could be that the associated files are still in use (in memory). This could be fixed after a restart. May S&&D run on your next system start-up?"
Ill do that right now to see what happens,,be right back.

Collapse -
(NT) If that doesn't help, run it in Safe Mode.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: wait a sec'
Collapse -
About COUPONBAR.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Hi all an- update

I don't know the best way. For me I use Grif's advice for automatic scan and removal of most things. Grif has a post at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421 with the free tools.

My bet is one of those is calling home. If the firewall blocks it then you might see the busy sign.

If you can't get it removed, I'd ask the same question in a new post in the CNET Spyware forum.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem RESOLVED--Thank You all
by baydaver / December 22, 2012 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: About COUPONBAR.

Kees' / R.Profit
Thank you so much. The laptop is A-OK now because of both of your advice here.
Basically,
I ran repairs in safe mode/system restored/and ran Spybot-as per Kees right click advice .
Spybot was able to remove/clean up what Kaspersky didn't.
Amen.

Collapse -
Answer
One more thing,,
by baydaver / December 19, 2012 10:53 PM PST

Ive noticed that my laptop's internal fan keeps turning on every so often too. By the way ,,the hourglass pops on every 12 seconds and stays on for 5 secs at a time

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.