How To

Question

Hotspot and Sony Vaio Laptop

by arivera250 / August 22, 2011 5:54 AM PDT

I have been using my HTC 4G Sprint phone to connect to the internet on my desktop computer. However, I have a brand new Sony Vaio Laptop and the Hotspot will not work on it. Is the laptop missing something (some adaptor) or is it just me? I tried with Sprint Techs and we could not get it to work. Thanks for any help I can get. I did try turning on WiFi (on my phone and on the laptop) but that did not work either. I was told not to plug in a usb cable because it (the phone) should just pickup a wifi signal from the laptop.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hotspot and Sony Vaio Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hotspot and Sony Vaio Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I own an Evo 4G so we can compare notes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 6:00 AM PDT

Not only do you have to have the tethering option turned on but the wifi hotspot option.

I didn't pay for that so I can only tether with EasyTether.

As to the Sprint techs, the ones here failed gloriously to figure out that I needed more services. I would not take their word about the time of day.
Bob

Collapse -
Evo 4G and Sony Vaio
by arivera250 / August 23, 2011 1:43 AM PDT

Hi and thanks for your reply. I do use the tethering option because when I plug the phone into the computer it gives me that option. I do not see that option working with the laptop though. I will try again and try to write down what the computer (lap top) tells me is wrong. My wifi is the biggest problem now. And by the way, one of the things the Sprint tech helped me with was to take off all those apps I had running on my Evo because they were using up the resources. My phone works 100 times better now.

Collapse -
When I need to tether with a PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2011 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Evo 4G and Sony Vaio

I get to install the tether software. I may have missed it but did you install the tether app on the laptop?
Bob

Collapse -
When I need to tether with a pc
by arivera250 / August 23, 2011 3:23 AM PDT

No. I did not install that app. I have not been able to use the laptop for internet at all for a few weeks. I would not know where to find that app. Do you mean the app that is on my Evo? Can you tell me how to go about that? I will try to get on the internet (via the laptop) without the Evo tonight and see what happens. My Verizon DSL has been fixed as of yesterday and all my problems might be solved and I will not need to use the Evo Hotspot anymore. I'm happy it did work for me though.

Collapse -
The tether app for the PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2011 3:26 AM PDT

Because I use EasyTether and not the Sprint version I install the PC side of the tether app.

It's not automatic and a shame to read that the cell carrier has failed to mention this.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.