Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hotmail and Incredimail

by Clorey69 / January 3, 2012 1:14 PM PST

My computer was hacked into recently and a letter from one of my hotmail accounts went to everyone in my contact list, which I did not send. My hotmail accounts were hacked also. I was speaking with some at Tech-on Wire in India, I believe. A man was supposed to fix my computer and charged me $180 to do this. The computer was fine for a while, but now I cannot get into any of the hotmail accounts. I cannot get into Hotmail help as it says the server is down when I try to change my passwords. So I decided to try Incredimail and I really like it. It has such cute bells and whistles. It is not as straight forward as Windows Live Hotmail, but it is okay. I am having a problem getting help from them too. What is going on with these people? Has anyone else had this experience. I don't know what other email program to use. Can anyone help me? Is Incredimail safe to use?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hotmail and Incredimail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hotmail and Incredimail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's check something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 3:29 AM PST

How much a month are you paying for these things, software or services?

Many times we find that the free stuff comes with no support. It's also been written that when we use the free stuff we are now the product (example at http://lifehacker.com/5697167/if-youre-not-paying-for-it-youre-the-product ).

This seems to be a wake call that if we want support and more, we have to avoid being the product or turn to OPEN SOURCE SOLUTIONS which are often without support you can make demands on.

If you need on demand, great support it appears we'll be paying monthly.
Bob

Collapse -
to: Robert
by Clorey69 / January 4, 2012 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: Let's check something.

This charge was a one time fee. I don't pay monthly fees. The whole idea of charging me this amount, was so this man could fix my computer, instead of taking it to say Future Shop or someone else. I thought it was a good deal. He was on this computer from India for almost 6 hours trying to get everything back in order. He said the registry was so messed up. Today Bob, I found the letter that went out to every contact I have and I can see the ISP address somewhere on the page. It is not my ISP address. Could it be from the one who hacked this computer and sent out the letter?
Just curious.

Collapse -
A one time fee to who?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: to: Robert

Sorry but I had a typo in my reply. I meant "wake up call",

There are some that sell registry cleaners and after 16 years since the registry arrived I only found those to be a problem in the days of Windows 95 to Windows ME. When XP rolled out with all the changes I have yet to find the issue you noted. But folk have to sell the registry cleaners and they do a good job (of selling.)

It was not funny to read http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/28/groupon-sosasta-data-leak_n_886458.html and similar. Letting folk loose on your PC is bound to let them gather anything they want.

Not funny.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.