Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hostess Strike

by Glenda. / November 16, 2012 3:15 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hostess Strike
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hostess Strike
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Poor Neil Cavuto.....no more Ho-Ho treats
by TONI H / November 16, 2012 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Hostess Strike

At least Chunky Monkey ice cream is still out there for him. lol

In the meantime.........the unemployment rate will increase.....thank Trumka (sp) and the rest of the labor leaders who just met with BO. I'm sure they saw this one coming.

Collapse -
Over 18,000
by Glenda. / November 16, 2012 4:34 AM PST

will be out of a job! Way to go Unions! Great way to start the new term isn't it??

Collapse -
10,000 people won't have heart attacks
by JP Bill / November 16, 2012 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Over 18,000

from eating Twinkies...

RESULTS!!!!!

Overweight people across American should thank Unions.

Collapse -
An example of how ignorant/greedy these unions are....
by Tony Holmes / November 16, 2012 7:03 PM PST
In reply to: Over 18,000

I know a guy that drives/drove a Wonder Bread truck and will be filing for UE benefits next week.

The company was forced to maintain three separate fleets of trucks to deliver their products.One for Wonder Bread,one for Hostess snack cakes and a third for Drake's Cakes(yes,Drake's is also history).

They were prohibited from cross carrying brands,even though they were all made at the same local bakery!

It doesn't matter if it was a huge Walmart getting a trailer load or a local mom/pop deli getting one box of each.They could not put so much as a box of Twinkies/Drake's on a Wonder Bread truck or likewise to drop at the deli !

I call that p*ss poor logistics and a huge waste of fuel,courtesy of unreasonable union demands.

Collapse -
And that is what
by Glenda. / November 17, 2012 12:36 AM PST

the Union does. Make work for it's members and drive the business under. Sounds like California, a Waitress can't clean off a table she has to wait for a BusBoy to do it, So silly IMO

Collapse -
The guy I talked to was a Teamster and in all fairness......
by Tony Holmes / November 17, 2012 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: And that is what

the Teamsters had come to their senses and were trying to work with Hostess to save their members' jobs.

They authorized their members to cross picket lines and deliver the already baked goods sitting in warehouses.I call that class and commend them for at least trying to help the company !!!!

The real imbeciles behind this are the a$$clown,Trumka and the baker's union.Trumka would not bend nor concede to this evil company!!!! Make no mistake,the Teamster members are of the opinion that Trumka cost them thousands of jobs !!

This is from the mouth of a Teamster who shall remain nameless:

"Trumka may be BO's best bro and considers himself all powerful,but consider this: The Teamsters are not controlled by your local 'garden club'."

I can't possibly imagine what he was alluding to but I think Trumka may have a problem(if you can read between the lines). >:)

Collapse -
Yep
by Glenda. / November 17, 2012 3:54 AM PST

just goes to show the bakers have no understanding that they took the bread right out of their own mouths! Hope they enjoy those Union Benefits!

Collapse -
IF they can live with it....What's YOUR problem?
by JP Bill / November 17, 2012 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Yep

You want your Twinkies?

Collapse -
making an exception
by Glenda. / November 17, 2012 10:34 AM PST

JP YOU are an A$$

Collapse -
(NT) Kiss me.
by JP Bill / November 17, 2012 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: making an exception
Collapse -
That Mike Ditka look a like,Trumka is
by Tony Holmes / November 16, 2012 6:26 AM PST

an a$$hat.

The poor,clueless union members those union leaders bullied into voting for BO can now stew in their own juices along with that slob,Trumka for all I care !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2012/nov2012/obam-n14.shtml

My GOD,Wonder Bread is dead,it brings a tear!!

I can remember 60 yrs ago as if it were yesterday,my mom giving me a Skippy P/nut butter sandwich on Wonder Bread,"eat this sweetie,you'll get big and strong".Damn if I didn't,I'm pretty big and strong now...lol. I'm still addicted to that sandwich my mom gave me 60yrs ago too!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrA-W5ogvJc

Even more of a memory if you can imagine,is that of a scared sh*tless 19yr old in '65 whose best friend was a 30cal machine gun,opening a care package from home and finding a pack of "Twinkies" within.

At the time,that damn pack of Twinkies cost $.10 frigging cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The value and encouragement it gave to me could not be valued!!!! Talk about the tears flowing....!

I say that Trumka and the rest of his union friends can go straight to H***

Collapse -
They're mad as hell and they're not going to take it....
by JP Bill / November 17, 2012 8:50 AM PST
Hostess to close, lay off 18,500 after 'crippling' union fight

The privately-held company had reached a deal with the Teamsters, but a smaller union representing bakery workers refused to agree to concessions

BCTGM President Frank Hurt said Thursday that the crisis was the "result of nearly a decade of financial and operational mismanagement" and charged management was scapegoating workers to allow the Wall Street investors who own Hostess to sell.

Marty Zimmerman, secretary-treasurer for BCTGM Local 85, told Fox40 from a Sacramento picket line early Friday that workers had been at "wits end" with Hostess brass.

"Well, the mindset is we're standing strong, absolutely," Zimmerman told the station. "I mean, they've taken our pensions away, we've had seven CEOs in the last 10 years; this company has been so mismanaged. Really, we're at our wits end and enough is enough"

Because the company is privately held, its financials were not available. But has struggled for several years, with some blaming America's increasing appetite for healthier fare. The company sought concessions from employees

"These losses and other factors, including increased vendor payment terms contraction, have resulted in a significant weakening of the debtors' cash position and, if continued, would soon result in the debtors completely running out of cash," the filing read.

Privately held?....by a bunch of losers...blame the other guy for our failures.....Let's see some numbers.
Collapse -
Sounds like a defective product
by Steven Haninger / November 17, 2012 9:23 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm guessing
by Roger NC / November 17, 2012 9:27 AM PST

that it was lining them up on a belt going into a wrapping machine. But that's just a guess.

Did you notice the last paragraph in article?

Collapse -
reminds me of what Jesus said
by James Denison / November 17, 2012 11:26 AM PST

"no man can serve two masters, lest he loves the one and hates the other" or to that effect if not exactly quoted. Seems the most antagonism between workers and employers always seem to be in unionized companies.

Collapse -
or maybe without a union
by Roger NC / November 17, 2012 12:13 PM PST

no one can make enough noise to be heard, start agitating and somehow you'll be gone.

Isn't that the message sometimes, toe the line, don't complain, or you'll be gone. And guess what, blacklist still happen. A cousin of mine had trouble for years after filing a complaint with a government agency about a problem at work, supposely anonymous.

Unions aren't a perfect answer. They might lose all use if no employer regarded people as just biological machines to buy, use up, and discard.

No man can serve two masters quote in relations to employers and union huh? So the employee is suppose to be at the beck and call of the employer and just bow and beg for hi job.

Are you actually substituting an employer in the quote for God? certainly looks that way. And casting the union as mannon, in this quote the bad thing, the material idol replacing God.Interesting use of your faith.

Collapse -
the master rules
by James Denison / November 17, 2012 2:23 PM PST

and the servants obey, or find a new job. Simple.

Collapse -
(NT) confirms expectations, labor is just wage slaves
by Roger NC / November 17, 2012 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: the master rules
Collapse -
then deal properly with immigration
by James Denison / November 18, 2012 2:08 AM PST

or the pressures of it will drive wages down.

Collapse -
define proper immigration?
by Roger NC / November 18, 2012 2:27 AM PST

I'll agree there is a huge problem with illegal immigration. But if there was less people willing to hire them to get cheap labor that won't report even illegal hiring and work violations there would be less incentive for illegal immigration.

I'll even say some of our legal immigration standards need to be reviewed. While acknowledging immigrants have done a lot for this country and still contribute to society's benefit, we're not in the same situation regarding the need for more labor. Of course, business likes an overstaffed labor pool, unskilled and skilled. The only competition they don't like is for the top jos.

Collapse -
Speaking of Twinkies
by JP Bill / November 16, 2012 5:01 AM PST

Shelf life

A common urban legend claims that Twinkies have an infinite shelf life or can last unspoiled for a relatively long time of ten, fifty, or one hundred years due to chemicals used in production.[14] This urban legend is false, although Twinkies can last a relatively long time (25 days or more) because they are made without unstabilized dairy products and thus spoil more slowly than most bakery items.[15] In reality, Twinkies are on the shelf for a short time; a company executive told the New York Times in 2000 that the "Twinkie is on the shelf no more than 7 to 10 days."[16]

In the 2012 film Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, the character Blackout has the power to decay anything he touches. When going through a lunch he causes a sandwich and apple to decay in seconds, then is impressed when he is unable to cause a Twinkie inside the lunch to decay.

In the 2008 film WALL-E, a Twinkie is sighted completely undecayed in its wrapper on WALL-E's truck 700 years after the Earth was rendered largely uninhabitable for organic life forms.

Conversely, the 2009 film, Zombieland depicts one of the main characters on quest to locate Twinkies, asserting that they do have an expiration date. The 1986 film, Die Hard has John McClane almost becoming sick after eating a "thousand year old Twinkie" found in an under-construction floor of the Nakatomi Plaza building.

Collapse -
Oh No, no more twinkie defense???!
by James Denison / November 17, 2012 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: Speaking of Twinkies
Collapse -
I had to laugh when I saw this
by Steven Haninger / November 17, 2012 7:11 PM PST
Mexican company Bimbo may want Hostess

I saw this earlier. Apparently Bimbo also own Entenmann's which was a better brand. I don't see where a company called "Bimbo" would be a good name to have in the donut industry but at least it is would fit "truth in advertizing" requirements.
Collapse -
I don't see where a company called "Bimbo" would be a good
by JP Bill / November 17, 2012 7:51 PM PST

I don't see where a company called "Bimbo" would be a good name to have in the donut industry

How bout Beembo.

Just the donut industry OR Bimbo Bakeries USA is the American corporate arm of Mexico's Grupo Bimbo. The company, headquartered in Horsham, Pennsylvania in Greater Philadelphia,[1] is the largest bakery company in the United States, owning six of the top twelve fresh bread brands in the United States. The name means baby in Italian and does not mean anything in Spanish. The pronunciation is given on packaging as "Beembo" to distinguish it from the American slang term "bimbo". Both derive from the same word in Italian but does not have a negative connotation in Spanish. The company is a top sponsor for many major soccer teams across the globe.?

Worker loses part of finger at firm cited for safety violations
Nine Bimbo Bakeries workers have had parts of digits or a limb amputated since 2003 at plants across the state, where regulators have found inadequate training and machines without proper guarding.

Bimbo, Bimbo, where ya gonna go-e-o
Bimbo, Bimbo, whatcha gonna do-e-o

Collapse -
Commonly thought of in the US
by Steven Haninger / November 17, 2012 9:20 PM PST

Bimbo = elephant from some jungle boy stories

Bimbo = derogatory term used for females...especially gorgeous airheaded blondes and often used in old gangster movies...might be that today's female dog reference is its replacement in street language such as used in rap music.

Collapse -
(NT) I associate donuts more with law enforcement than Bimbos
by JP Bill / November 17, 2012 9:23 PM PST
Collapse -
If I owned an all night coffee and donut shop
by Steven Haninger / November 17, 2012 9:26 PM PST

I'd have a sign outside inviting law enforcement to hang out for free.

Collapse -
(NT) BTW, Italian is "bambino" or "bambina" (M or F)
by Steven Haninger / November 17, 2012 9:24 PM PST
Collapse -
It happens
by Willy / November 18, 2012 2:25 AM PST

They've been at it for over 7yrs. trying to work things out. the union gave up over a $100M in order for the business to stay in business. They also agreed to pay for more costs to them and gave up on others, so it wasn't painless to the workers. Sure venture capital kept it going too. The overall situation just wasn't going to get better, so a line was drawn. They have now lost their jobs, but if someone has to strike knowing how things were, what does that tell you? But, someone may come in and pick-up the pieces, maybe.

But, they can make money, because "Twinkles" are on eBay for $5K, what does that tell you? That's life, I'm glad I'm not part of that strike. I hope some of them saved some cash for the real hard times ahead.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.