Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Horizontal black lines on Samsung 50" plasma tv

by mcyr5 / June 22, 2011 3:09 AM PDT

bought a 50" Plasma tv in Nov 2009. This past spring, a thin black horizontal line appeared across the screen, everything else is working fine. Next day, an additional black horizontal line appeared, and continues to accumulate and is now about a 1 inch black bar across the screen. I would expect after a certain length of time, the whole screen is going to be black. Currently, the line is above the middle of the screen but half down from the top screen.

Any suggestions...is the panel kaput?

The Samsung customer support service is "very" and unwilling to help and told me to go back to the store (Walmart) where I bought it and deal with them. I paid $1,500 for the TV in Nov 09 which I was told to be a quality product/customer service. To have this product fail 3-4 months after the warranty period is over and now likely have to throw in the garbage, is pretty bad. No my idea of a quality product!!

mcyr5 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Horizontal black lines on Samsung 50" plasma tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Horizontal black lines on Samsung 50" plasma tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I have the same problem... it only gets worse
by akamax_ / June 28, 2011 11:50 AM PDT

I bought a 50" Samsung plasma (PN50B550) in May 2009 and in February of 2011, I started to get horizontal black lines... yes, LINES - I'm up to 7 of them now... Here's one of several URLs that points to folks having similar experience with Samsung quality http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-381652.html I need to post some video of my wonderful TV, let the world see Samsung quality for themselves...

Needless to say, much like you, I am very unhappy with my purchase of a Samsung. I too had no help from Samsung's customer support. And the canned reply from the Samsung tech you received is... well... canned. My only option was to pay the bill myself - over $800, about half what I paid for it originally...

Apparently, some people have had luck pushing the pins on the 'bus' board (http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-511585.html). Maybe someone will get the crap shocked out of themselves and sue Samsung Happy

Good luck.

Collapse -
My problem has been fixed
by mcyr5 / June 30, 2011 10:11 PM PDT

Thanks for given the 2 threads. In the 2nd thread someone mentioned he had taken the back panel off and ensured the connnections were good. I did that and lo and behold, is working like new now!

Collapse -
50" Samsung Plasma with black lines
by madazhec / March 20, 2013 10:09 AM PDT

I, like everyone else am having issues with my 50" SAMSUNG WITH BLACK LINES IN THE PICTURE (THAT LOOKS LIKE A FENCE NOW)...was told to call SAMSUNG, with no problem fixed yet. I bought it just 1 yr. ago and it started with 2 lines, now has 10. I don't understand why SAMSUNG will not replace what I have been told is just a card in the back plugs in and will fix the problem..But instead we got the runaround with tech and the "Big dog" at SAMSUNG that there was nothing they could do and to take it back to the store. I do have proof of purchase but they will not do anything about it still. I can't believe they treat customers this way and they have lost a lot of customers that I know of thanks to me and my problem with SAMSUNG and BEST BUY. It is a DEFECT for goodness sake we are not asking a lot and they will get their money back!
THIS IS NOT FAIR AND THEY ACT LIKE THEY DON'T CARE. I can't believe how many threads I have read about the same issue. The stores will not take them back so we are stuck with them. But there is a card that I was told you can buy for about $100, it will be back to normal, SO SIMPLE A KID COULD PUT IT IN, IT PLUGS IN THE BACK. (OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO OPEN IT ETC.) So this is what I will do. It's Too bad that such a good name went to the dogs and I'm glad, We even had a tech support sales person laugh at us. SAMSUNG...YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR NAME. CAUSE I AM NOT AFRAID TO TELL WHERE I GOT IT AND WHAT KIND OF HELP I GOT .......NONE!

Collapse -
PLEASE make a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 10:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: Please make new post
by sixmarch / March 20, 2013 1:44 PM PDT

I have(well had the same problem). I had bought my TV from Best Buy in June 2011 right before 4th of July because I wanted to avoid the madness of an Independence day sale.

It first started with one horizontal black line that appeared after watching a movie. I tried a white wash on the TV, but that didn't remove the line. After a few days, another horizontal black line appeared on the screen. I started doing some research on this and found out that this happens with all Samsung Plasma TVs. After several more days, two more horizontal lines appeared on the screen. I got sick and tired of this and decided to call Best Buy Geek Squad. While talking to them, a "fifth" horizontal black line appeared on the screen. The first four lines are all next to each other in the middle of the screen, the last line is in the upper section of the TV.

You may not want to hear this and you may think this is a set up to buy the extended warranty, but it is not. I am actually glad that I bought an extended two year(which is really one year warranty, but we'll get into that later) warranty. Because of this, I was able to walk into Best Buy, tell them the problem after I got a confirmation from Geek Squad home visit, I was able to get a full credit for the original TV and exchange for a better TV(55" LED TV).

I know most ppl think that buying the extended warranty is a "rip-off", but in this case it's totally worth it. Yeah, you shell out an additional $100-200 bucks, but when you have a problem with your TV within the warranty time, you get back the original sale value in which you bought the TV and you could either exchange for another TV or upgrade(pay the difference) to a new TV.

I always buy extended warranties on TVs, Computers and Apple products. I have a history of products malfunctioning on me due to system upgrades, electrical shortages, etc. Plus, 1:4 TVs always have some problem once you take it out the box. You should have some insurance when you buy these products.

FYI....You mentioned that you bought this TV last year. All TVs have a one year warranty from Samsung. If your TV started showing horizontal lines before the warranty expires, you can exchange your TV for a new one with Samsung. Just look for the receipt. Otherwise, you will have to eat the cost and buy a new TV.

Don't buy another Samsung Plasma TV, they all have this problem. Stick with LCDs and LEDs.

Collapse -
Wanting to buy a faulty 50 " plasma any offers
by JaymeRolland / August 4, 2013 8:35 PM PDT
Wanting to buy a faulty 50 " plasma any offers Happy

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mcyr5

Collapse -
Horizontal black lines on Samsung 50" plasma tv -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 22, 2011 8:26 AM PDT

mcyr5,

Collapse -
(NT) HI HD Tech,
by mcyr5 / June 30, 2011 1:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hi HD Tech
by mcyr5 / June 30, 2011 1:43 AM PDT

Here is my transaction number #2103597204 which is new as of today. I thought I'll try again. Outcome... they tried to defer me to an authorized dealer (which I already did) who told me my options which basically means its worth my while to buy a new one instead of replacing a new panel. The cust rep had asked his superior to see what he can do and the comment back was "can't help you" and outside warranty. Was hoping for some comprise or deal in getting a replacement (new) TV but no deal! I see new threads with the same issue and is very pervasive problem. How can you guys ignore the issue and rather try to address it?? Please forward to your manager to review my situation but I certainly don't expect resolution from them if the tone at the top (senior mgmt)is to hide in their hole and hope the problem goes away.
Regards,

Collapse -
Hi HD Tech -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 30, 2011 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi HD Tech

mcyr5,

Collapse -
Horizontal lines on 50" plasma TV and samsung not responsive
by samsungequalsheadache / November 9, 2012 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Hi HD Tech -

Model no. PN50B650S1FXZA. Tansaction no. from today 411 690 5345.

Bought it 3 years ago. Lines started to appear 7 months ago. There are now 5 lines. We probably watch 4-5 hours of tv a week. Have been trying to get help from Samsung for last 2 months and just being jerked around.
Spoke with a service techinicain today who was hard to understand. Who said that they charge $85 for diagnosis, $200 for repair + parts.
It is a problem that Samsung knows about and still pretends like they are hearing for the first time.

Collapse -
I can see why a diagnosis is needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 4:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Horizontal black lines on Samsung 50" Plasma TV
by carlogonz / January 24, 2013 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: Hi HD Tech -

Ticket # 4117689274
Model PN50C550G1FXZA
While I appreciate Samsung paying for the part associated with my panel replacement I am very dissatisfied that the labor of $215.50 was not also paid and the rude, threatening, condescending and vindictive customer service (not every customer service agent I spoke with) I received from the Executive Customer Service Department.
1. When I first called in with the issue I was given the canned answer that because the TV was outside of the 12 month warranty there was no accommodation they could offer. I was not told that the warranty is automatically extended for 3 months when you register the TV with Samsung. The customer server representative (Felicia) was very rude and condescending. I went ahead and got the TV looked at by the service provider and was told the panel needed to be replaced and it would costs $800-$1,000.
2. I called back and explained that the cost to repair the TV (TV was less than two years old) would costs $800-$1,000. I was transferred to the Executive Customer Service Department and spoke to Zachary who was very helpful and offered to extend the warranty (because it was still within 24- months of the purchase) and pay for the cost (both parts and labor) to repair the TV and that all I needed to do was provide my proof of purchase.
3. I sent in the receipt to verify proof of purchase and followed up with a call to move forward with the service. I was transferred to the Executive Customer Service Department and spoke to Tammi who informed me that Samsung would not pay for the labor and only the part due to the TV being near the end of the 24 month period. She as very condescending and rude and told me that I would say or do anything to get Samsung to pay for the full costs of the repair and that I better watch out or she would not cover the labor costs. I was very upset because this contradicted everything the previous customer service representative had said and offered and because of the condescending and threatening way she spoke with me.
4. I went ahead and got the TV repaired on 1/24/2012 and paid the labor cost of $215.50.
I would very much appreciate the labor costs be paid by Samsung and an explanation for the changing offer to pay for the parts and labor to just labor and the threat of taking the part away. I would also like an explanation why I received the condescending and vindictive customer service from the Executive Customer Service Department.

Collapse -
A tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 4:12 AM PST

Please don't bury your posts in old discussions. It might go un-noticed over a new top post.

And please. If you create a new top post, alert this one for clean up.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung 50" 1080p Plasma - Black line across screen
by CorinaKropp / October 22, 2011 7:37 AM PDT

HDTech:

We are having the same problem. A single pixel-height black line has appeared across our screen. Purchased the unit December 25, 2009 from Future Shop. Called Samsung and was basically told to find my own service centre as it is off warranty.

1) This TV is 1.5 years old and should not be failing. My previous SONY television lasted 10+ years.
2) The Samsung rep did not seem to really care that the product is deficient. I know other brands (E.g. Apple) would deal with this MUCH differently.

My case number is 2109663100.

Thanks,
Darryl

Collapse -
Samsung sucks
by gcharp / December 21, 2011 11:07 AM PST

Samsung products are crap
I bought a 50 inch plasma in feb 2010 is a year and half old and now i have 2 thin lines across the entire screen it appears 2 lines of pixels have crapped out and samsung will do nothing their service centre says its out of warranty so now im screwed

Never buy a samsung u will spend $1500 and it will crap out 18 months later

Collapse -
Check with your Attorney General
by materazzi5000 / December 22, 2011 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung sucks

Yes, it is sad the Samsung's warranty is so short -- especially when problems like the black lines are consistently popping up. One idea is to register the TV at Samsung's website and see if that extends your warranty by 3 months. Since your TV is 1 year 6 months old, you're probably out of luck on that front though.

Collapse -
Horizontal Black lines on new TV just not yet completed year
by Abey_Kwt / January 31, 2012 9:36 PM PST

I had the same problem as my Samsung 50" TV started showing horizontal line, and increased now to 5 lines. I send them a mail, and got an automated reply only, asking call a number, which does not answer at all. Very bad customer service.

Collapse -
Horizontal black lines
by Amos3v7 / April 3, 2012 12:18 PM PDT

I also have a Samsung 50" Plasma tv which I purchased around November 28, 2009.

About a month or two back it developed a small black horizontal line across the screen. It is about a pixel thickness. This has gradualy progressed so that I now have about four of these lines. I called samsung and got the same response as the other person. Do an update and call a tech who is a contractor. The Tech wanted $105.00 just to come out and look at the set even if he didn't touch the set. I believe the the original service call was ticket no. 4114085355

Samsung had told me the tech wouldn't charge me to just come out and look at the set but the tech said different. When I called Samsung back I was told that I would be charged for a service call even if the tech didn't repair the set.

I am curious as to this being a problem with the 50" plasmas sold in late 2009. and about how much it should cost to fix.

I am disabled and living on my disability check so I can't afford a real expensive repair bill. If it would cost to much to fix I don't want to pay a technician $105.00 just to come out and tell me that I can't afford to fix it.

Samsung model: PN50B53052FXZA serial: AUZ33CPSA06 version:s602 (has been updated to latest firmware)

Collapse -
by JMRHull / June 13, 2012 10:29 AM PDT

I have a black line, single pixel width, 4" from the top of my 50" Samsung Plasma TV.

I am both a Samsung customer and shareholder and to be frank I am not impressed.

1 - Samsung boosts environmental responsibility in their "Sustainability Report 2011" however have produced a product, in a wide time period, that will put strain on the environment; many of these televisions will end up in recycling depots and landfill.

2 - There is obviously a defect in a range of these plasma models and I am very surprised with how little action has been take by Samsung to address. This is damaging to the brand image and I am certainly second guessing my decision to invest in this company and its products.

Collapse -
Black lines on TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 14, 2012 12:08 AM PDT

JMRHull,

If you please reply with your specific TV model (e.g. PN50C7000YF), I will do my best to help you work towards a resolution. If you have a transaction number from any calls to Samsung support, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
50" Plasma w/ Black horizantal Line
by axvillal / December 12, 2012 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: Black lines on TV

I bought a 50" plasma (PN50C590G4FXZA) in October 2010 and in November 2012 I got one horizontal black line six inches from the top. I called Samsung Customer Service and they said they could not assist me as the TV had no warranty. I found a TV Repair shop and they said the problem was the panel. The repair man said at this point just buy a new TV as it is not worth replacing the panel. I called Samsung back and asked for assistance as this was a known issue. I asked to be transferred to their Executive Customer Relations line (ERC) and after further reviewing they said they could not help me. I let him know I owned other Samsung products (home theater system, phone, and another TV) and I had everything synced up. Mark with ID 1672 at the Executive Customer Relations not only gave me a resounding no, but was very sarcastic and said he could not do anything as the TV had no warranty. I was only looking for assistance, possibly for Samsung to cover the part and I would cover the labor, but as other people have stated Customer Service with Samsung is a nightmare.

Not only do they make poor quality products, but have horrible customer service which are sarcastic as well. Samsung is becoming popular for the wrong reasons.

Repair Ticket 4117304709

Collapse -
do u want to sell ?
by JaymeRolland / August 4, 2013 8:42 PM PDT

was just wondering if u wanted to sell ur faulty t.v ?

Collapse -
Another 50" Samsung Plasma with horizontal black line
by cars10s / December 30, 2012 1:50 AM PST

My 50" Samsung plasma has the same issue.

One thin black line running horizontally across the screen just under 7 inches from the top edge of the screen.

Model: PN50B55OT2FXZA

I'll try calling tomorrow, but the TV is about 3 years old so I suspect Samsung will take no action. A $1400 (on sale) product should last (much) longer than three years. After reading how many people have had this issue... if I need to buy a replacement, the next one will not be a Samsung. Its unfortunate, because up until now I was pleased with the television.

Collapse -
Did u want to sell ut t.v
by JaymeRolland / August 4, 2013 8:42 PM PDT

did u want to sell your t.v ? Happy

Collapse -
Yet another horizontal black line on Samsung 50" plasma tv
by jonathanswfl / December 27, 2013 12:36 PM PST

Here to confirm this is now a known issue with these monitors. Got mine from Worst Buy about 2-3 years ago.
It will be the last purchase I make from Samsung or Best Buy. Hey Samsung or Best Buy are you listening? Blow me.!

Collapse -
by carlogonz / January 24, 2013 3:52 AM PST

Ticket # 4117689274
Model PN50C550G1FXZA
While I appreciate Samsung paying for the part associated with my panel replacement I am very dissatisfied that the labor of $215.50 was not also paid and the rude, threatening, condescending and vindictive customer service (not every customer service agent I spoke with) I received from the Executive Customer Service Department.
1. When I first called in with the issue I was given the canned answer that because the TV was outside of the 12 month warranty there was no accommodation they could offer. I was not told that the warranty is automatically extended for 3 months when you register the TV with Samsung. The customer server representative (Felicia) was very rude and condescending. I went ahead and got the TV looked at by the service provider and was told the panel needed to be replaced and it would costs $800-$1,000.
2. I called back and explained that the cost to repair the TV (TV was less than two years old) would costs $800-$1,000. I was transferred to the Executive Customer Service Department and spoke to Zachary who was very helpful and offered to extend the warranty (because it was still within 24- months of the purchase) and pay for the cost (both parts and labor) to repair the TV and that all I needed to do was provide my proof of purchase.
3. I sent in the receipt to verify proof of purchase and followed up with a call to move forward with the service. I was transferred to the Executive Customer Service Department and spoke to Tammi who informed me that Samsung would not pay for the labor and only the part due to the TV being near the end of the 24 month period. She as very condescending and rude and told me that I would say or do anything to get Samsung to pay for the full costs of the repair and that I better watch out or she would not cover the labor costs. I was very upset because this contradicted everything the previous customer service representative had said and offered and because of the condescending and threatening way she spoke with me.
4. I went ahead and got the TV repaired on 1/24/2012 and paid the labor cost of $215.50.
I would very much appreciate the labor costs be paid by Samsung and an explanation for the changing offer to pay for the parts and labor to just labor and the threat of taking the part away. I would also like an explanation why I received the condescending and vindictive customer service from the Executive Customer Service Department.

Collapse -
same problem here. Same runaround by Samsung.
by curious-about-that / March 28, 2013 5:23 AM PDT

I there class action lawsuit going on? Sign me up.
Tired of being pushed around

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung help
by mcyr5 / June 30, 2011 10:12 PM PDT

Don't worry about it...I fixed it myself!

Collapse -
black horizontal lines on Samsung plasma TV
by alexiuslim / August 22, 2011 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung help

Hi, my Samsung Plasma TV 50 inch, developed the same problem. It is just 2 years old, unfortunately I did not purchase an extended service plan on it. Warranty over. I tried monkeying around the ribbon cables as you have suggested but to no avail. Any suggestion. I might have to dump that stupid thing in recycle depot. Pls help if you caould. My product code is PN50B530S2FXZC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.