Camcorders forum

General discussion

horizontal bars in playback

by pntrmarc / February 10, 2009 8:38 AM PST

this is my 2nd camcorder and the 2nd one to develop horizontal bars in playback. Is this head alignment? Can I take it to an av shop to have it repaired? Canon told me it was not worth it to repair theirs after my using it less than 5 hours. This time it's a Panasonic PV GS 320. I've gotten more hours out of this but I can't buy a new camcorder every 6 months because this happens in all of them.
I started downloading this tape last week and it was fine. Now half the screen is horizontal blue bars

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: horizontal bars in playback
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: horizontal bars in playback
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
horizontal bars in playback
by pntrmarc / February 10, 2009 8:50 AM PST

In fact it now does bars in playback on a tape which worked fine 10 minutes ago ! And I didn't drop it in the mean time. It has done this before at the start of a tape but always cleared up after a while.

Collapse -
RE horizontal bars...
by Papa Echo / February 10, 2009 1:07 PM PST

Do you see them at the LCD or TV or both ? or at the computer monitor screen ?
Are the bars(or strips ?) uniform width, with one distintive color, orattrned strips of various colors ?

Collapse -
horizontal bars
by pntrmarc / February 10, 2009 1:29 PM PST
In reply to: RE horizontal bars...

I'm seeing them on the monitor (LCD?) on the side of the camera. There are about 6 bands of equal size alternating the picture and solid blue bars. Thanks ahead of time. Any hope?

Collapse -
Well...
by Papa Echo / February 10, 2009 6:33 PM PST
In reply to: horizontal bars

..if it came on suddenly (fine 10 minutes ago), and you are only seeing it on the camcorder monitor but not on the viewfinder, or output to TV, the fault is on the camcorder monitor and relected electronics. Have you tried the tape on another camcorder (which accepts similar tapes) ? Does it happen on every tape ? CANON seems to know about the problem.....

Collapse -
bars
by pntrmarc / February 10, 2009 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: Well...

Miscommunication. It's in the viewfinder, I also get it in the software I use to download it.

Collapse -
is the...
by chickenorfish / February 10, 2009 8:45 PM PST
In reply to: bars

is the tape your playing recorded in that same camera?

Collapse -
bars
by pntrmarc / February 10, 2009 9:27 PM PST
In reply to: is the...

yes, same camera. But both tapes played fine ONCE.

Collapse -
Tape play fine ONCE...
by Papa Echo / February 10, 2009 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: bars

... but afterwards, they always play with the bars showing ? For the whole length of the tape, or only at the replayed section ? This happens to all tapes ? Even with tapes recorded on other camcorders ? The bars seem to be "recorded" during rewinding or while playing for some time.... Try playing a new unrecorded tape for, say 15 minutes, rewind, then play it again -do the bars appear ?

Collapse -
Are these tapes being re-used?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2009 9:31 PM PST

Just in case that wasn't covered.

And are you the type that cleans their own gear? Did you clean the heads? Do you know how?
Bob

Collapse -
actually
by pntrmarc / February 10, 2009 9:49 PM PST

that came up once and I couldn't find the tape head cleaners locally. But these are absolutely solid bars, not the kind of noise one gets with a vcr when it needs cleaning.

Collapse -
Then do the tapes play in other camcorders?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2009 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: actually

-> You didn't answer my question about tape reuse.

Collapse -
yes
by pntrmarc / February 10, 2009 10:17 PM PST

I have 3 tapes, they've been reused but all 3 played yesterday, now all 3 show the bars.

Collapse -
Read carefully.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2009 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: yes

As this is a discussion forum and not tech support I hope you could answer the questions rather than wait for another post to ask again.

Just advice.

1. See if the tapes play on another camcorder.
2. Don't reuse tapes.
Bob

Collapse -
ADD
by pntrmarc / February 10, 2009 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: Read carefully.

thanks. I'm going to take it to a camera repair place.

Collapse -
Also..
by Papa Echo / February 11, 2009 5:55 AM PST

Do those tapes play fine on another camcorder - look for a friend's...
If you use the AV cables to connect to TV, do those bars show up ?

Collapse -
It would be interesting....
by Papa Echo / February 11, 2009 6:05 AM PST

...to know what is on the tape...copy restricted material ? Or self taken video ? It seems that the bars, being solid blue color, are put on automatically and intenionally afterthe first play... ?

Collapse -
good luck
by pntrmarc / February 11, 2009 8:24 AM PST

I took it in to a camera tech and he couldn't get it to screw up !! He said there's a drum with more than one pick-up and all it takes is dust or some other material. He said he doesn't recommend cleaning tapes because each time this happens they pop in the tape which is abrasive. He mostly deals with professional cameras but this sounds everyday common. I asked about using canned air to blow it out; he said there are springs which can become dislodged. He didn't charge me, I hope it doesn't become a regular trip.
Thanks for your attention, Marc
You can see my vids on youtube. Type PNTRMARC in the search box.

Collapse -
This is warning not problem..
by ioannisgr / October 21, 2010 4:50 PM PDT
In reply to: good luck

The problem was fix like this: in the same tape was appear the horizontal lines record 1-5 seconds if you have space on the tape if not use other tape and the lines disappear.
This problem i have some times was use my camera in the record type without tape only for transfer video with firewire or usb cable in to my pc.
Is not problem but warning the user was some days to record using the camera.
I hope my answer helps to solve the problem

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.