Forum Feedback & Announcements

Rant

Hopper won 'Best in Show' at CES

by dsfive / January 14, 2013 1:28 AM PST

CBS forced CNET staff to recast vote .CBS is pissed off because you can skip commercials

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hopper won 'Best in Show' at CES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hopper won 'Best in Show' at CES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
not real journalism
by jj97403 / January 14, 2013 6:56 AM PST

CNET compromised journalistic integrity. Notice how 'comments' were turned off on the story on CNET's website. I understand that CNET has to make money, but maybe they should have a disclosure on their website front page that explains that CNET is coporate sponsored and not true journalism.

Collapse -
correction to my post
by jj97403 / January 14, 2013 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: not real journalism

correction to my post above. the story did have comments.

Collapse -
No Journalistic Integrity
by matthewkmiller / January 15, 2013 3:47 AM PST

I've been reading CNET news.com since 1995. You've now proven that your news and reviews cannot be trusted because you've lost all journalistic integrity. Your readers should know that they cannot trust what you say because even a straight-up "vote for the best" review can be overridden by your management with nary a word posted to warn of said intrustion.

No, I never signed up before. I was a "lurker" but viewed the site on at least a daily basis for over 15 years and will cancel the account soon. I just wanted to be sure those who missed it are aware of CNET's lack of journalistic integrity.

Collapse -
nobody will trust cnet anymore
by jj97403 / January 15, 2013 4:04 AM PST

imagine how much credibility cnet reporters will have at next year's CES..........zero.

Collapse -
And Deleted Thread!
by matthewkmiller / January 15, 2013 4:07 AM PST

I posted this on a new thread regarding audio and video hardware and they deleted it within 10 minutes. Hey CNET! You're gathering steam in the ol' losing integrity race!

Collapse -
Re: deleted
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: And Deleted Thread!

It's routine to delete duplicate threads, even if in different forums. I thought this forum better suited for your complaint.

Kees

Collapse -
Who Needs to See the Post
by matthewkmiller / January 15, 2013 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: Re: deleted

I figured those reading about Home Audio and Theater need to see the post more than anyone else.

Collapse -
poetic justice
by jj97403 / January 15, 2013 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: And Deleted Thread!

the irony is the Hopper got way more publicity (by leaps and bounds) then it would have ever gotten if CBS didn't censor the CNET. And the damage done to CNET is irrevocable. Freedom of th Press is sacrosanct.

Collapse -
Re: freedom of press
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: poetic justice

That's right in principle. And surely there is no censorship from the USA government.

In practice, at least for websites and broadcast companies, the owners have a lot to say. Don't you think that with Al Jazeera as owner the former Current TV will be a little bit different from what it would have been if Glenn Beck had bought it?
I wonder of the consequence of your principe for you is to never look at it.

Kees

Collapse -
then its not journalism
by jj97403 / January 15, 2013 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Re: freedom of press

Just because it is going on does not make it okay. If the ownership can trump editorial decisions then its not credible journalism. You make a valid point regarding Al Jazeera, (and the US Govt) and you and I could go back and forth with example and counter-example. (I'll give a couple below).

I think the difference here is that a product is being evaluated and an award given and thousands of readers trusted the credibility those reporting on it. With the benefit of hindsight, there should have been some disclosure.

If the magazine Car & Driver was owned by Nissan and and an award chosen by the magazine was squashed by ownership, then it'd be the same situation. Or if the New York Times ownership squashed an award for a book from the NY Times Book Review Dept because it ruffled the feathers of ownership then it is not a credible book review.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.