Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

hopefully one last question-problem installing ad-aware

by novicestill / November 27, 2005 10:44 AM PST

My ad-aware didn't work when downloading from lavasoft. It suggested i download the zip version which i did and saved on desktop. But I can't unzip it to start ad-aware. Help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hopefully one last question-problem installing ad-aware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hopefully one last question-problem installing ad-aware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Novice, You Need An Unzipper Program..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 27, 2005 11:49 AM PST

It would sure help if you told us the error message you had when attempting to install Ad-Aware? I've never had any problems installing the program from the .exe file download..By the way, are you installing these programs on an infected machine, or have you already "restored" the computer by reformatting and reinstalling the operating system and programs?

Still, if you want to try the zip file, First, you need an unzipper program. There are a number available for just for now, here's a small, free one that I use called "Cam Unzip". Click on the link below and download the installer file to your desktop. Once it's there, install the program..It will cause all zip files to be associated with the Cam Unzip program. So double click on the Ad-Aware zip file and Cam Unzip will allow you to "Extract" the file to a separate folder of it's own on the desktop. You can then open the folder and run the Ad-Aware executable.

Cam Unzip Site
http://www.camunzip.com/

Click on the link above, read the information, then click on the "Download" link at the top of the page to find the download links.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ad-Aware
by byker49 / November 27, 2005 12:24 PM PST
Collapse -
Novice: Since You Didn't File a Profile or Follow.....
by tobeach / November 27, 2005 1:09 PM PST

red print above every reply form I have no idea what OS you're using. If it is XP, (at least my XPPro) includes a unzip program as part of the OS. To use: RIGHT Click on zip file and select extract all from menu offered. You will have the Zip file and Exe file. Double LEFT click the Exe to install.
Here's a link to an additional free Unzipper I've used without problem in past versions:
http://www.ultimatezip.com/download.htm
Enjoy! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.