Computer Help

General discussion

Hooking up KVM Switch

by phil66 / April 17, 2008 11:31 AM PDT

I purchased a Iogear model gcs632u Kvm switch to hook up two computers

The main computer will be a Dell XPS 600 The keyboard and mouse are usb and the computer has no ps/2 connections

The second computer is a Dell Dimension L800R the keyboard and mouse are ps/2 This computer also has usb connections below all other connections

It requires a type A port I am not familiar with this type port

Will the KVM switch work if connect to the usb connections on the L800R

Do I need to purchase an adapter from usb to ps/2 to make a proper installation

Should this adapter be a pigtail type with a keyboard and mouse connection

Thanks for the help

Ray

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hooking up KVM Switch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hooking up KVM Switch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Connecting KVM switch
by anmor / April 17, 2008 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Hooking up KVM Switch

I don't know your KVM switch, mine is Aten.
Connect monitor, USB kb & mouse to switch, only single USB connection required for mouse & kb to each computer, connect video leads to each computer.
On the computer using ps2 connections, check bios is set to enable legacy USB devices.
You should be good to go, if your switch is different check the instructions that should have come with it.

Collapse -
I personally don't like usb kvm switch, but...
by ahtoi / April 17, 2008 4:21 PM PDT

since that is what you got..then use the usb connections. The L800R has usb connections, right? Use it.

Collapse -
You really should not have a problem connecting
by ChuckT / April 17, 2008 4:58 PM PDT

From your questions it seems like you are wondering how to connect this.
As in: "It requires a type A port I am not familiar with this type port"
and
"Do I need to purchase an adapter"

A "Type A" (and you didn't mention that you were inferring it was the USB Type A) is your most common of USB connections. The other, the Type B, is most commonly used on the back side of peripherals, like printers and scanners. Hooking up USB devices to your computers ports usually just involves the Type A. But whichever type is required, you just use it. If it plugs in, you use it.

I have checked out that IoGear KVM, and there is nothing unusual about it. The cables needed to connect to either of the two computers are fast-molded onto the KVM. Just plug those sets into their respective computer. Your current USB mouse and keyboard just plug right into the open ports of the KVM switch. And finally your monitor plugs into the 15-pin VGA connector. What's so hard. Just try it.

The worst problem you MAY have, might be with the one computer that has PS/2 keyboard and mouse connectors along with the USB. Some of the older computers (and I do not know about the Dell Dim L800R) don't immediately recognize the USB ports until Windows is up and running. If that is your case, you will only have a problem with trying to press a special key sequence in trying to get to the BIOS setup of that computer. That is because if the USB ports are not available until Windows is running, then how can you do a key-press with a USB keyboard to get to a point before Windows is running? IF THAT is your case, just plug a PS/2 keyboard in during those few occasions where you need to get into the BIOS. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

In answer to trying any USB-PS/2 adapter ... DON'T do it. Not only is it not needed for your setup, it will probably only overly complicate your setup.

I have a 2 port KVM with audio pass-through here, myself. It is a cheap AirLink brand, and only one of my computers connected has the PS/2 connectors. But I have no complications with getting to the BIOS in either computer.

Collapse -
Kvm hook up
by phil66 / April 18, 2008 12:36 PM PDT

I followed all the instructions given by everyone that replied to my post

Everything went smooth and it is now operational

Thanks to everyone who submitted an idea

Ray

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.