Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hooking up desktop computer to existing wireless network.

by swami7774 / October 24, 2009 8:47 AM PDT

Situation: I set up a wireless home network that currently includes 2 computers. I want to add my main desktop (Dell Dimension 4700, Windows XP service pack 3)) to the network; currently, the desktop is connected via ethernet.
I've tried to run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard but am getting nowhere. I don't see the wireless network "bubble" on the lower right of the screen, either, which I think is the crux of the problem.
How can I get my desktop to a)recognize the existing wireless network and b)connect to it?
Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hooking up desktop computer to existing wireless network.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hooking up desktop computer to existing wireless network.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A really dumb question first
by Steven Haninger / October 24, 2009 10:08 AM PDT

What brand and model of wireless device have you installed in your desktop? and, in your "network connections", do you see an icon for the configured wireless device?

Collapse -
network
by swami7774 / October 24, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

NOT a dumb question. My wireless device is a D-Link DIR-615.\
In the "network connections" area, there are the following: an icon of a monitor in front of a globe titled "Internet connection; connected internet connection"; then, under LAN or High Speed Internet, I see two icons. They're identical(two monitors wired to an t-joint), but they're titled differently. One is "1394 Connected 1394 net adapter" and the other is titled "Local area connection 2 Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network".
Make any sense to you?

Collapse -
Makes perfect sense
by Steven Haninger / October 24, 2009 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: network

When I google your D-link device, it comes up as a router. Your 1394 adapter is firewire. You either don't have a wireless interface card in your machine or it's not recognized. Go to device manager under network adapters and look for one that refers to wireless. If none there, you don't have one. If something like a yellow question mark with unknown device show in DM, you may have one that's not properly configured. The Windows wireless zero service availability does not mean you actually have a wireless device.

Collapse -
Okay.
by swami7774 / October 25, 2009 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Makes perfect sense

So it appears my desktop does not have internal wireless capability.
Here's the larger question, and overall goal: I've just bought a wireless all-in-one printer, and want to make it available for use on THREE computers: the Dell desktop, a MacBook Pro laptop and an IMac desktop. The two Macs are already connected(wirelessly) to the network via the D-Link described above.
What's the easiest, most reliable way to connect the new printer to these 3 computers?

Collapse -
Easy enough....sort of
by Steven Haninger / October 25, 2009 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay.

You don't need a wireless connection to print to a wireless printer. The wireless printer connects to the router. Your desktop is connected to the router via Ethernet cable. Your connection to the printer is through the router and not directly to the printer. So, the data path is wired to the router and then wireless to the printer. You need to install the printer drivers on your desktop and set it up as a network printer. You create a TCP/IP port using the IP address of the wireless printer. This means you must use a static address for the printer but this isn't a big deal. That's about all it takes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.