TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Hooking up cable tv to a LCD monitor

by dmanrevived / November 19, 2005 5:28 PM PST

I was looking for LCD monitors that could also double as a TV for me, and this is what my mind is set on:*home*technology*21LCD*programs/lcd/index~~shtml

The problem is that, as I was looking through the list of inputs it has, I do not see a simple tv input. The only inputs this monitor has are VGA, DVI-D, composite video, S-video, and component Y Pb Pr. And with my cable tv service, I don't have a cable box, so I can't get any of those outputs. So are there any simple convertors out there that can convert a tv signal into any of those outputs for this monitor? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hooking up cable tv to a LCD monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hooking up cable tv to a LCD monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possible solution.
by Parrothead66 / November 19, 2005 8:57 PM PST

Your problem is similar to mine. I have a Philips 30" 30PF9946 LCD with limited inputs. For HD, you need to use an RCA to VGA cable. What I plan on doing is putting all components; DVD recorder, cable box, Playstation, DVD player etc., into my A/V reciever then using an RCA to VGA cable from the receiver to the TV. If you are not using a cable box you could use a similar solution if your receiver has a proper input for video. If you are not connecting the TV to an A/V system, check Radio shack. You might find something that you could use to interface your coax input (I assume) to a component or VGA input on the tv. I am far from an expert but I hope this gives you some ideas. Maybe someone else will have more insight. Good luck

Collapse -
more problems
by dmanrevived / November 20, 2005 3:42 PM PST
In reply to: Possible solution.

Thanks for the reply. After doing more research, I've realized I can't treat it like a simple TV set up where I can just hook it up and it'll work. There's also the problem of sound. If I don't have a receiver like you do, I'll have to find some sort of adapter/connector that can split up the coax/F signal separately into video for my monitor and audio for speakers elsewhere. It's unlikely I'll find something like that, but if anyone has any ideas, it'd be great. My last resort would be buying a tv tuner for my computer and have the cable tv play through my computer to the monitor instead, but that means I can't take advantage of PIP and working while watching TV.

Collapse -
Not LCD monitor/TV
by sirroundsound / November 21, 2005 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: more problems

As you have found, this isn't a TV/monitor, it's just a monitor. Your 2 options are - get some form of tuner (even a cheap vcr has a tuner)plug your cable in, and use the video out to the Monitor As you also noted, you need something to deal with the sound which means some form of stereo or surround receiver and speakers. (I see that there is an optional speaker bar for your set, maybe that is all you need.)
- option 2 - a TV tuner card for your computer, which I assume has an audio card, thus speakers, and your set.
As far as picture in picture goes, I'm not sure but you might be able to watch something, and be doing work at the same time. I know I can have a couple of windows open at the same time. I would guess the TV tuner card will have various options in it's set up.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by dmanrevived / November 21, 2005 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: Not LCD monitor/TV

I've come to realize that too after a lot more research. Now does anyone know of any dvd players that have built in tv tuners? If not, then I'll just probably go to a thrift store to pick up an old, working vcr. I'm going to stay away from adding a tv tuner to my computer, because I'm sure my notebook will have enough of a workout powering this huge monitor. Thanks guys for the help.

Collapse -
DVD / VCR combo
by sirroundsound / November 21, 2005 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

JVC,Panasonic and Pioneer all make DVD/VCR combo players which would give you a tuner.

Collapse -
Using VCR as a Tuner
by robertoservice / March 7, 2013 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: Possible solution.

I am using a 20-year-old JVC VCR as a tuner for my plasma monitor. Picture is snowy. (Picture fine with Roku/Netflix.) Can problem be old/outdated/ VCR? Thanks! Robert

Collapse -
Good to see this 2005 post is alive!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: Using VCR as a Tuner

But those tuners are for standard definition content and channels so it's a safe bet it will be snowy and ratty looking today.

Collapse -
Old tuner
by Dan Filice / March 8, 2013 11:27 AM PST

Also Bob, I think the old VCR has an analog tuner and hasn't broadcast all gone to digital transmission? Also, doesn't depend on how the old VCR is connected to the Plasma? Old VCRs typically only have Composite and S-Video connections which would look terrible on any new HD TV.

Collapse -
Not all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 1:20 PM PST
In reply to: Old tuner

Here in San Diego we can pick up Tijuana just fine.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.