TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Hooking up a Blue Ray player to Sound Bar/Receiver

by spandya21 / May 25, 2010 2:01 PM PDT

I read that in order to truly get the full audio experience of a Blue Ray player, you need a home theatre receiver.

I currently have a soundbar with compatible subwoofer that I hook up directly to the TV. I am planning on buying a Blue Ray player soon.

Does anyone know if I should buy a receiver given my current set up? In other words, will hooking my soundbar and blue ray player to a receiver enhance sound quality or is it not worth getting the receiver? I currently do not need to hook up my sound bar to a receiver.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hooking up a Blue Ray player to Sound Bar/Receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hooking up a Blue Ray player to Sound Bar/Receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The sound bar already has an amplifier
by minimalist / May 25, 2010 10:57 PM PDT

A receiver won't make any difference unless you get 5 speakers and a sub to go with it. You can go with a package deal (home theater in a box) or for better quality sound go with separates (receiver and speakers bought from different companies)

The best sound bars simulate 5 channel surround from a real 5.1 input, some just simulate the 5.1 surround from a single stereo input. The least expensive ones are simply 2 channel stereo with a sub. None of them, even the best models will ever sound like a real 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system though. Sound bars are very handy for small spaces or apartments where you may not have be able to hide wires or you are unable to able to turn the sound up very loud. It really depends on your situation.

Collapse -
Dump the soundbar
by Pepe7 / May 26, 2010 12:57 AM PDT

As has been stated, even an inexpensive entry level 5.1 or 7.1 system will blow the socks off of that sound bar. You essentially 'neuter' the expanded audio capabilities of the blu ray player acquisition by not also upgrading to proper 5.1 speakers & sub.

Since decent quality separates generally aren't cheap, you might upgrade slowly over time. Start with a new receiver, then add proper speakers next year since you can't use the speakers w/o having a receiver first.

Collapse -
Soundbar quality
by spandya21 / May 26, 2010 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Dump the soundbar

Thanks for the info. My apartment won't be condusive to getting a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system, which is why I opted for the Sound Bar in the first place.

Do I need the receiver to decode some of the advanced audio profiles associated with Bue Ray, or does it not make a difference if I don't have the 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system? I'm wondering if the Soundbar/Blue Ray/Receiver combo does anything that a Soundbar/Blue Ray combo would not be able to do?

Collapse -
Won't make a difference.
by minimalist / May 26, 2010 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Soundbar quality

Not only won't you be able to hear the better quality HD audio on hhe sound bar but you will be wasting the amplifier on the reciever. Your sound bar likely built in amplification. You can't bypass that fact Its also likely your soundbar does not have the necessary inputs to play a decoded 5.1 Dolby true HD or DTS-HD MA signal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.