Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Honda drops Accord Hybrid

by grimgraphix / June 5, 2007 1:58 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Honda drops Accord Hybrid
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Honda drops Accord Hybrid
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A high-performance Hybrid?
by Kiddpeat / June 5, 2007 9:12 AM PDT

That's kind of an oxymoron as well as a very muddled concept.

What is high-performance in a Hybrid? More range? More miles per gallon? Acceleration and speed?

Collapse -
I think Honda was trying to combine...
by grimgraphix / June 5, 2007 11:49 AM PDT

... acceleration with gas performance. I had a fiat spider back in the early Eighties that would go fast and got 40 MPG but it was an extremely light car. Honda was trying to take a midsize sedan and give it some giddy up along with extreme fuel economy.

Certainly an oxymoron of a concept. Kind of like putting an electric motor in a Doge Challenger R/T circa 1972. You're left asking... "what's the point"?

Collapse -
(NT) Ooooh...shutter...I'm gonna hide my 426 HEMI Challenger.
by Jack Ammann / June 5, 2007 12:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) chuckle
by grimgraphix / June 5, 2007 1:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
As someone who had a 72 Dodge Challenger, I can tell you
by Kiddpeat / June 5, 2007 1:41 PM PDT

that an electric motor might have been considered, but it wouldn't fit under the hood.

Somehow, I think the rich people buying hybrids would feel guilty about acceleration.

Collapse -
(NT) Thats a whole lot of HorsePower!
by grimgraphix / June 5, 2007 2:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
The hybrid was supposedly faster than the standard version
by Josh K / June 5, 2007 11:05 PM PDT

I'm surprised it didn't sell better than it apparently did. I'd like to see more hybrid models as well; in addition to helping reduce fuel consumption, if there were more of them the price differences between standard and hybrid versions of the same car might come down a bit.

Collapse -
Supposedly faster?
by Kiddpeat / June 6, 2007 12:14 AM PDT

That sure sounds like an endorsement.

I don't think I'll trade in my Mustang quite yet.

Collapse -
I was not comparing the Accord with the Mustang
by Josh K / June 6, 2007 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Supposedly faster?

I was comparing the standard V6 Accord with the hybrid V6 Accord. I just went to the Consumer Reports site (it's by subscription so I won't post the link). The standard V6 goes from 0-60 in 7.3 seconds. The hybrid goes from 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. So yes, it is faster.

Collapse -
So, I guess it's really not intended to save the planet.
by Kiddpeat / June 6, 2007 2:42 PM PDT

It just gives the rich a faster car.

Collapse -
You just can't admit you erred, can you?
by Josh K / June 6, 2007 11:07 PM PDT

The rich? The Accord is now a luxury car???? And it DOES use less fuel than the standard version.

I will bow out of this thread before it sinks any lower. Bye.

Collapse -
I didn't err.
by Kiddpeat / June 7, 2007 1:18 AM PDT

I never said it wasn't faster. I did question the use of 'supposedly faster'.

A $30,000 plus car certainly sounds rich to me, but I guess some folks don't see that as a high price. While the acceleration is nothing to write home about, advertising an 'earth saver' with horsepower (253) and acceleration numbers sounds perfectly hypocritical to me. It's the kind of mentality that buys carbon 'credits' while jetting around the world.

Actually, it's quite predictable.

Collapse -
What will Honda do? Surely they will decide on something...
by ronb42 / June 6, 2007 5:24 PM PDT

I have read a few different articles but, haven't found much that was really credible when it comes to what Honda will or won't do when it comes to alternative fuel cars. At one point, they were supposed to be moving forward with a Hybrid Civic http://e85.whipnet.net/flex.cars/honda.ffv.html and then they said they were not that interested in making an alternative fuel car...

Collapse -
They are selling Honda Civic hbrids in my area,

As I understand it, buyers preferred the Toyota Camry hybrid over the Accord one.

An aside..... there are a couple of people in my city who had their cars modified to run on the discarded deep fat frying oil at restaurants. Free. People say it sure smells good when they drive by. Happy

Honda has been creative, and seems to have its finger on the pulse of what buyers will want. My guess is that they will come up with good ideas.

Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email

Collapse -
Hi, Grim.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / June 6, 2007 11:24 PM PDT

I looked into the hybrid Camry (my wife loves her Prius!) but was unimpressed. The problem is luggage space -- to have room for the batteries (more are required for the larger car) they had to shrink the trunk down to 10.? square feet. That's actually four sq. feet less than with the nominally smaller Prius! I think the real answer for larger cars, to meet the new CAFE standards (legislation is now being debated to increase it by 10 mpg to 35 by 2010) is the much cleaner-burning diesel engine, fueled by biodiesel. Unfortunately, greed is rearing its ugly head, and the current biodiesel producers are trying to block the recent Conoco-Tyson deal to build a plant that will turn chicken and cow manure into biodiesel -- the first (pilot) plant would supposedly produce enough biodiesel annually to provide the energy requirements for 250,000 homes!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Manure to produce biodiesel?
by Steven Haninger / June 6, 2007 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi, Grim.

My first thought is to wonder what is this chicken and cow manure currently used for. My guess is that it's fertilizer to produce food...ie, human fuel. And now it should become fuel for automobiles and such? I can't be sure this is a wise move but admit to not knowing the whole argument. We must remember that, for something to get clean something else gets dirty.

Collapse -
I imagine the composting method that produces fertilizer...
by grimgraphix / June 7, 2007 12:04 AM PDT

can be modified to produce fuel and fertilizer. To put it through a process that uses every bit of the manure for fuel purposes would use quite a bit of energy itself... unless they used the left over manure as fuel for the rendering pots.

Depend on how passive and self sustaining a process it is I guess.

Collapse -
Good info Dave
by grimgraphix / June 6, 2007 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi, Grim.

I'm stuck with my 2000 honda CR-V for a few more years so I have yet to look into what is available hybrid wise. Where I live we have to have a 4 wheel dr and the extra cargo room comes in handy. I can imagine how tiny the ultra fuel efficient models can be (thinking back to my 2+2 Fiat Spyder). Still, my CR-V gets 28 MPG when running at tip top so I can't complain to much.

As for CAFE standards? Those standards are so abused. One model's efficiency is designed to make up for the short comings of another! That makes the real benefits of CAFE hard to see if everyone buys the gas hogs. I would like to see drivers pay a milage tax based on fuel efficiency of your vehicle. You chose to drive a gas hog and you pay for it at the pump or when you pay your personal property taxes. That would shut down those who complain that their freedom of choice of vehicle is being infringed upon while making the rest of us pay for their personal choices which regulate gas prices vis a vis supply and demand.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.