TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Home Theatre Surround Sound and PS3 hookup

by kinger1623 / December 7, 2007 3:38 AM PST

I'm having trouble hooking up my PS3 (40gb) to my surround sound. I have a Samsung 46" LCD (LN-T4661F) with HDMI outputs. I have one HDMI cable going to my DVD player (Denon DHT-487DV, HTIB) and one to my Directv receiver. The only way I have been able to make it work is just going from my PS3 directly to the TV with the (red, white, yellow) cables, but then I don't get my surround sound. Do anyone have any suggestions on how I can get it in surround sound?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Theatre Surround Sound and PS3 hookup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Theatre Surround Sound and PS3 hookup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
its confusing because
by jostenmeat / December 7, 2007 3:46 AM PST

a TV has inputs, not outputs. A little harder to understand whats happening at first!

Try component cables for the Direct tv. (red/blue/green).

Run PS3 with HDMI to tv.

Then run either optical or dig coax from both direct tv and PS3 to receiver (if receiver is not hdmi-enabled).

Voila, surround sound at your fingertips! And I think probably the best video setup as well.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by kinger1623 / December 7, 2007 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: its confusing because

My PS3 doesn't have an HDMI hookup to it, since I bought the cheaper 40gb version. How would I go about hooking it up without an HDMI cable?

I appreciate your help.

Collapse -
by jostenmeat / December 7, 2007 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the help

there is such a thing as ps3 without HDMI?? wow....

uhhh... I guess component cables to tv, optical/coax to receiver. that should do it.

Collapse -
by kinger1623 / December 7, 2007 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: really?

Yeah, I think it's pretty stupid if you ask me that they don't have an HDMI hookup on the 40gb.

Okay, I'll try that over the weekend and see if it works. Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

Collapse -
You are very welcome
by jostenmeat / December 7, 2007 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Yeah

Good luck!

Collapse -
by Blitz3086 / December 8, 2009 7:35 PM PST
In reply to: Yeah

Thats weird, I have the 40GB PS3 and it has the HDMI output.

Collapse -
HDMI video / Optical out
by ..ben / December 21, 2007 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: really?

For those of us without HDMI receivers, that's what I use. Though given a receiver with HDMI, you get decoded PCM plus Dolby TrueHD decoding, and while I can't argue that you suggested the best VIDEO setup, I'd submit going through the receiver is a better OVERALL setup, should you be blessed with such gear.

But I'm just feeling provocative... Happy I'm sure you can do me one better...

Collapse -
I can't do you one better, that's what I would do too.
by jostenmeat / December 21, 2007 7:00 AM PST

And you better not be rubbing it in as far as my dealer not being able to reconcile my issues with terminal upgraditis. or maybe he's just setting me up far a larger sale further along next year. I am sure with the innumerable customers he's worked with, he knows terminal upgraditis when he sees it. Plain

Now, for the real question:

When are YOU going to do something about hi-def audio?!?! Silly

Collapse -
HDMI output
by albeach55 / December 7, 2007 5:15 AM PST

You may want to double-check your PS3 for an HDMI output...according to the Playstation website, and every news outlet I've come across, every PS3 has an HDMI out (I remember this being a big selling point when they first released). I have the 60GB version, and my HDMI is on the back right next to the proprietary video/audio out.

Collapse -
RE: HDMI output
by kinger1623 / December 7, 2007 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: HDMI output

My wife bought it yesterday while I was at work. A buddy at work sent me a link that indicated the PS3 didn't have an HDMI slot. I got home and sure enough it did, so yes you are correct it does have an HDMI slot. I tried hooking it up when I got home and I got the video working, but still no sound. I have and HDMI from TV to PS3, and then some cable that came with the PS3 to the receiver and that didn't work. After reading some of the PS3 manual, it looks as if the cable that was provided won't work with a 5.1 channel surround system. I'm going to run out and grab an opticle cable this morning and run that from PS3 to receiver and see if that works. I'll let you all know.

Collapse -
Surround Sound
by albeach55 / December 8, 2007 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: RE: HDMI output

Once you set up the optical audio cable from the PS3 to your receiver, be sure to go to the audio/video settings of the PS3 and make sure that it is set to HDMI for video output and Toslink/optical for audio output. Once this is set up, you should be good to go with the surround sound. Also, make sure your PS3 is set up to output a high-def video signal fit for you tv...I have a few friends who bought one, used HDMI, and then were pissed that it wasn't outputting a high-def signal. Good luck!

Collapse -
RE: Surround
by kinger1623 / December 8, 2007 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Surround Sound

Wanted to thank you guys for all your help. I bought the optical cable, hooked it up and still no surround. I just read the last post, then went and changed the settings and now it works perfect. Thanks again!

Collapse -
OMG I just saved a bit of cash.
by kuliddar / December 21, 2007 12:14 PM PST

Oh man I'm so happy to have come across this thread. I don't have HDMI on my receiver either and I've been posting and searching for a way to be able to use my current receiver for the Panasonic 42px75, an HD box and a ps3 that I'll be picking up in the next few weeks (pays off to do your research).

Since the tv has 2 hdmi and 2 components I'll then set it up like this.

Wii - -> component to TV (don't need 5.1 for wii)
PS3 - -> HDMI to TV for video and optical from p3 to receiver for audio.
HD Set Top Box - -> HDMI to TV, Coax for sound)
PS2 - - > the big unknown...would like to be un home theater system for games that has great sound but not sure what to do there. Perhaps component into receiver and back out to TV?

I'm I over complicating this. Suggestions?

Thx guys Happy

Collapse -
ps3 audio hookup question
by mike32t / December 31, 2007 7:38 AM PST

Can you hook up both the HDMI to the TV and the optical output from the ps3 to the receiver and have both audio outputs work. I would like the ps3 to have the audio and video functioning to the tv so there is audio on the tv for video games (when receiver not needed)and the optical line to the receiver for sound on Blueray movies. I went into the ps3 audio settings and if I turn on on it turns the other off. HOW DO I MAKE BOTH THE HDMI AUDIO AND THE OTICAL AUDIO WORK COMING OUT OF THE PS3????

Collapse -
by ..ben / January 2, 2008 5:14 AM PST

you can't.

Collapse -
Need help with surround sound hook up
by erittle / January 24, 2009 2:32 PM PST
In reply to: .

I have a sharp tv, lg surround sound and ps3. I have HDMI from ps3 to tv and optic cable from tv to surround system. I am getting sound from the tv but not when I turn on ps3. How do I hook it up that I will put out sound from tv and ps3 without having to transfer the optic cable every time I switch.

Collapse -
hooking up tv to PS3 to cable box to surround sound
by mike_ruelas / November 21, 2009 8:04 AM PST

HDMI from PS3 to TV
TV output to surround sound inputs
cable outputs to surround sound inputs

is this correct?

Collapse -
Yes you can. Sony fixed this audio output bug
by Dan Filice / December 11, 2010 1:11 AM PST

Sony finally fixed t his bug that's been an issue with me. You just need to download the latest PS3 firmware then get into the menu setups and fiddle, but now my PS3 outputs audio simultaneously from both HDMI and Optical.

Collapse -
detail on your reply
by c464 / January 18, 2009 7:29 AM PST

thanks for your help, I cam across your reply. I am having a related issue. I have the hdmi going into the tv and optical going into my receiver.

in the (ps3) audio output settings, I have chosen optical -> 5.1 -> enter

when i go to BD/DVD setting -> BD/DVD audio output format (Is see "HDMI" in parenthesis. if I go to BD audio output format is see "optical digital" in paranthesis. Shouldn't I see "optical digital" in the BD/DVD audio setting as well. I am assuming that this is why I am still not getting surround sound. thanks..

Collapse -
UM, Wrong
by DIGITAL BATH / December 20, 2007 3:35 PM PST

Yeah, grab your manual, or look on the internet, it has 1 hdmi out.

Collapse -
ps3 audio question
by mike32t / December 31, 2007 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: UM, Wrong

Can you hook up both the HDMI to the TV and the optical output from the ps3 to the receiver and have both audio outputs work. I would like the ps3 to have the audio and video functioning to the tv so there is audio on the tv for video games (when receiver not needed)and the optical line to the receiver for sound on Blueray movies. I went into the ps3 audio settings and if I turn one on it turns the other off. HOW DO I MAKE BOTH THE HDMI AUDIO AND THE OTICAL AUDIO WORK COMING OUT OF THE PS3???? (sorry if this repeats)

Collapse -
by ..ben / January 4, 2008 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: ps3 audio question

you can't dude.

Collapse -
HDMI Cable and PS3
by tkwaylon / October 7, 2009 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: ....

I have hooked a PS3 up to my receiver through an HDMI cable. In the manual, it says audio and video will travel through the HDMI cable. When I turn on the receiver, I don't get any audio. Also, I have a 5.1 set up. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Collapse -
HDMI Audio for PS3
by Dan Filice / October 7, 2009 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI Cable and PS3

Just make sure that your PS3 is setup to output audio through the HDMI and not through Optical. Go into your PS3 Audio SetUp and choosed "HDMI". This should fix it. If it doesn't, check your receiver setups.

Collapse -
PS3 audio settings
by bearvp / October 8, 2009 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI Cable and PS3

Make sure you check your PS3 audio settings too. Just make sure if you have it set to "Linear PCM" output that your receiver can handle a Multichannel PCM input via HDMI. And also check your input assignments within your receiver's setup menu for inputs. You might have to manually assign your video source (i.e. Video 1) to be associated with the specific HDMI input port.

Collapse -
Home audio & video Forum
by JantineAdriana / December 10, 2009 7:05 PM PST

I have an LCD sony home theater and an PS3 hookup console . I wish to get a set of surround sound speakers to have a home theater set up. What exactly do I need to achieve this?

Collapse -
by thc_guy / December 8, 2010 1:44 AM PST

So I need help getting my Playstation 3 and Comcast Cable to both hook to my home theatre.

Right now I have HDMI cables from PS3 and Cable box directly to tv. That works great for the picture but the sound on the tv sucks.

Now I need to run both to my home theater. I have an older home theater with no optical or coax inputs. Just one set of RCA AV outlets.

Right now I run my cable box via red/white RCA cables to the surround sound - works great. However I got this playstation to use a a BlueRay player and there is no way to get surround sound from it....HELP!!!!

Collapse -
sry... cant help Because i need Help as well!!!
by xXUnchartedXx / December 10, 2010 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: NEED HELP TOO

Alright, so I've read all the posts, but nothing is helping me.
I have a new LG surround sound that comes with a blue ray player, which the speakers hook up to, and i have a ps3 which i want to hook up to surround sound, the only issue is...How?! i have an HDMI going from the blue ray input to the TV output, and then i have the ps3...which im guessing i need a HDMI to connect to the HDMI 1/2 slots on the blue ray player to get surround sound, or would i have to use another cable for that? because i dont want to go out and buy another HDMI when it wont even work. Plus the blue ray player manual said that the HDMI 1/2 can be connected to video game machines... so would that mean i can hook up the ps3 to the blue ray player using the hdmi and then the hdmi from the blue ray player to the tv? and then run the ps3 off of the menu of the blue ray player... please if someone has the same surround sound system advice is much appreciated Grin

Collapse -
LG and PS3
by Dan Filice / December 30, 2010 5:56 AM PST

Uncharted, you are on the right track. If your BR player has HDMI inputs, then your PS3 can connect to one of those, and then the HDMI Output from your BR player connects to the TV HDMI Input. No sure how your LG system works, but there should be a setting on the LG player to allow you to see the video source from an external HDMI device, like your PS3. Your PS3 has it's own menu, and you should be able to see it on the TV without interference from the LG BR player.

In your post, you said "I have an HDMI going from the blue ray input to the TV output". I think that should be the other way around. Your blue ray Output should go to the TV Input.

Collapse -
LG + PS3 + HD TV
by FreddyCoupler / December 8, 2012 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: LG and PS3

How shall I hook up ? I have a LG Reciever connecedt to my Samsung 61" HDTV with HDMI, I have SHAW- Gateway, so I have a portal that connects to my TV with HDMI. ( my TV only has 2 HDMI ports) and (my LG Receiver only has one HDMI port) So to use my PS3 I have to unplug my Gateway portal from the TV and plug my PS3 into my TV HDMI port, and visa versa to watch TV. / My question is this; is there a way to connect all 3 so that I don't have to go through this routine to watch TV, or to play PS3 ? Please help? is this the only way or is there an easier way??

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.