How To forum

Question

Home theatre sound very low and hums

by Beauford2013 / July 13, 2013 9:56 AM PDT

Hi,

I have an older Kenwood receiver (10 years) and it is connected to my TV via a Fiber Optic cable, problem is the sound is so low I have to turn it almost full, which then produces a hum. Other connections are a Bluray (HDMI), PC (HDMI/DVI), and Rogers digital box composite connections (to get HDMI I have to pay 12 bucks a month so that isn't going to happen). I don't think this would affect the audio though.

Also, I have two fronts a center and two rears connected to the receiver, plus a subwoofer.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home theatre sound very low and hums
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home theatre sound very low and hums
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most likely a re-design is needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 11:16 AM PDT

One of the best reasons for connecting over optical is you dismiss any ground loop and hum. You did that so it's possible the receiver has failed. Does a new receiver work right? Did this setup ever work right?

Collapse -
by Beauford2013 / July 13, 2013 12:31 PM PDT

As mentioned, the receiver is 10+ years old so it may just not be up to the task. I have only had it set up this way for about 6 months and it has always been this way, but even before with my analog TV and everything hooked up via composite it was low even then.

Note that this is only on the TV this happens, on bluray, netflix, computer, etc. the sound is OK, but I guess then it is going through the HDMI, but even at that I never thought it worked the way it should.

Thanks

Collapse -
Rereply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

I thought this was just optical. But I wonder if the TV is in question but I'm missing make and model (did I miss it?) so I can't see if others are complaining.

Collapse -
by Beauford2013 / July 13, 2013 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Rereply.

TV is a Samsung 440/450 Series Plasma TV. Thanks

Collapse -
That's a series?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 3:11 AM PDT

Next up is a post to the CNET Samsung Forum with full model number and exactly what is connected to what with which type cable.

Sorry that such details are needed but my advice for consumer gear is to return products that don't perform.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Cable Box
by sunwatcher / July 13, 2013 11:13 PM PDT

You say that it's only the TV with which you are having a problem, but I think you mean it's the service through your cable set top box, since the Bluray, Netflix and PC all work fine through the TV and audio system.

I think you will need to take a look at the audio settings from your cable box. There is very likely a separate volume control through this box; make sure it's turned up.

Collapse -
by Beauford2013 / July 13, 2013 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Cable Box

The Cable box volume is up as far as it can go, but I am not sure what you mean by it's the service through the box as the sound is connected between the TV and the receiver. I have been over the settings on the Rogers box the TV and the receiver a dozen times and don't see where I can change anything that would solve this.

Thanks

Collapse -
Audio Originates From Box
by sunwatcher / July 14, 2013 12:18 AM PDT

The audio for your cable service originates from your cable box and passes through your TV to your audio system. You state it's a composite connection from the box to the TV, meaning you likely have a yellow video cable and red/white audio cables.

You can still use an HDMI cable even if you aren't paying for HD service. The box will still pass standard definition video over the HDMI. My guess is that there is a problem with the box, since all other devices connected through the TV have proper volume, or the RCA input to your TV is malfunctioning. You will either need to switch to the HDMI output or possibly have your set top box swapped.

Collapse -
by Beauford2013 / July 14, 2013 1:06 AM PDT

I think you may have been on to something with the Rogers box, I went back through the settings and came across something called "Range", which I had seen before but really didn't know what it was. So for the hell of it I changed it, there were 3 options - normal, wide, and narrow. I changed it to narrow (it was on wide). That seems to have increased the volume by double.

Thanks for your help, sometimes just going through some options gets to the root of things.

Collapse -
Great!
by sunwatcher / July 14, 2013 1:23 AM PDT

Glad to hear that you found a resolution. An HDMI cable might help improve it further, but at least you hopefully found the root cause.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.