TVs & Home Theaters forum

Home theater question??

by deluca_9 / April 9, 2012 6:54 AM PDT

Hi everybody, I just recently purchased a Sony DVD Home Theater System that includes the receiver, 1 center speaker, 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, and a subwoofer. The system is the Sony DAV HDZ278. It sounds very good in my 10 X 10 room, but I just have a problem getting Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound. The system itself is a DVD player with HDMI, Component, and RCA outputs, and it also has a digital optical input. I plugged the HDMI cable from my receiver to my tv, and I have a digital optical plugged from my receiver to my tv. The digital optical cable gives me sound for my Xbox 360, cable box, etc. However, when I play DVD's on the receiver I get dolby digital 5.1 sound, it even says so on the display. When I play anything else aside from the DVD player, it says Dolby Pro Logic II on the display of the receiver. So when I play my Xbox 360 or watch tv on my HD Cable box it only shows Dolby Pro Logic II sound. I have tried several games on the Xbox 360, so its not the game's fault. ANy suggestions from anyone on how to get Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound for everything I play?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home theater question??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home theater question??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which HDTV and cable box do you have?
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2012 2:41 PM PDT

There may be a solution that gets 99% to home base, depending on your inputs/outputs on the HDTV & Cable box. Which make and model do you have for both? Regarding Bob's comment, I don't believe HDCP comes into play here since you don't need to pass anything back from the HDTV from what I can tell.

That Sony is not ideal unfortunately since it lacks the inputs/outputs you require. What might work in my scenario below may be slightly complicated, but worth a try. Anyway, the silliest thing for me is seeing that it offers HDMI but does not play back any high definition content(?) If you are within the return period, I would consider swapping it for an Onkyo HTIB system with better support for what you are trying to accomplish. This would cost $250-350 ballpark. An example @ Amazon would be the Onkyo HT S3500.

This is how I propose you connect everything, short of knowing your exact cable box model & HDTV info. If you can adjust/assign the input/output settings on all devices correctly, it should work. The cable box may require you to manually enter which audio connection you are using. Here's a reference for you regarding your Xbox 360 and how it should be connected:

Xbox 360 (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) HDTV
"" "" (S/PDIF out) --> (S/PDIF in) Sony DAV...

HD Cable box (Component video out-RGB)--> (Component video in) HDTV
"" "" (Digital coaxial out) --> (Digital coaxial in) Sony DAV...

Sony DAV (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) HDTV

Let me know if you need any assistance once you get it connected.

Collapse -
Question information
by deluca_9 / April 9, 2012 3:28 PM PDT

I have a Samsung LN32A450 LCD tv and I have an hd digital cogeco cable box. And by digital coaxial do you mean digital optical??

Collapse -
Xbox 360
by deluca_9 / April 9, 2012 3:30 PM PDT

And the Xbox 360 does not have a S/PDIF output at all.

All Answers

Collapse -
This one is well known.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 7:09 AM PDT

"plugged the HDMI cable from my receiver to my tv,"

According to HDCP (which is something you can google) when a device can render content any passthrough should degrade to stereo. There are exceptions and now you know why folk connect the audio from device to the HT without passing it through the TV.

Collapse -
by deluca_9 / April 9, 2012 12:44 PM PDT

Thanks for the response, I guess ill have to deal with the sound.

Collapse -
And why folk get the audio adapter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Audio CD's
by deluca_9 / April 10, 2012 1:09 AM PDT

Thanks for the info about the audio adapter and hdmi cable. It should work with my system. I have another question: When I play my Audio CD's, how come the sound is only Dolby Pro Logic II?

Collapse -
Audio CDs will never be DD5.1 or DTS
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2012 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio CD's

The best *any* system can do is play back matrixed surround from a standard audio CD, such as DPL2, etc.

(Please also see my above reply regarding your connections ;).

Collapse -
I got everything working
by deluca_9 / April 10, 2012 3:57 AM PDT

Ok, now I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound. However, when I turned on my tv speakers as I had my home theater speakers on I noticed a slight delay in sound. I do have the option to turn my tv speakers off though. The sound delay is very miniscule but a little noticeable. Is this normal?

Collapse -
Yes, some audio delay isn't uncommon
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2012 4:10 AM PDT

It's another reason to grab a real receiver with adjustments for such audio delay issues. The great news is most of these features are now available even on the lower/budget priced HTIB units.

Definitely mute the built in TV audio since it will pale to what the Sony will sound like, even only w/ matrixed sound. I don't know too many people who *don't* mute the built in tv audio once they get proper surround set up in the room(?)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.