TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

HOME THEATER CONNECTION ADVICE!

by JULIT0 / January 26, 2013 8:01 PM PST

Hi!...this is actually my first time going to a forum to ask questions, but i got to admit i need help on this 1...morelike an advice from experienced home theater peps Happy

well first of all, my knowledge, is pretty simple basic, but as technology gets more advance, well so are the choices!!!
I got to admit gets a b it confusing!!! lol

To cut to da chase...i recently bought a nice set up(affordable, yet nice mid range i would say!
Probably the items im about to mention, might not be relevant to the questions i have, however i just want to share and be friendly
My set up consist of
Lg 55lm7600 3d tv
Lg 3d blu ray player..(dont know the model)
yamaha 497bl with the speakers...
...and this might sound silly i still have a dvd (sony)...which i use for burned movies with those codes if you know what i mean.

I listen to music sometimes really, it has a nice front usb port to connect my iphone! so i mainly watch movies, and football!...but i still want a good sound!!!...dont care to break the neighbors front windows, but a nice kick and clear sound...i think i am more of a videophile !!!
i currently have an hdmi i use from my blu ray to the tv...(monster expensive as fk,,ike 50$..lol got it for free anyhow...and i run and optical from my tv to the yamaha...
i do all this having the reciever on TV MODE...
QUESTION!!!
do i need another hdmi BLURAY>>RECEIVER...AND ANOTHER HDMI RECIVER>>>TV?
SHOULD I LIVE THE OPTICAL. maybe to watch cable, or netflix? that is when it gets confusing!!! Sad
can i make a better connection with the hdmi cables???what am i doing wrong, or what can i do to make my movie-watching experience more entertaining...

please if any1 can help me, i would really appreciate it thx...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOME THEATER CONNECTION ADVICE!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOME THEATER CONNECTION ADVICE!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Paragraphs!! ;) (j/k)
by Pepe7 / January 27, 2013 12:40 AM PST

Wow, I think my eyes just popped out of my head (LOL) {just teasing}

I don't think you have much to do with your current system other than what you've mentioned adding HDMI. You might not even need to bother with digital optical, it seems fine to me. Just make sure it's connected as follows so you maximize what the AV receiver can do- decode expanded audio codecs from your LG Blu Ray player, and send along Netflix content. I'm assuming you have a cable box in the mix too(?) Or are you only using the built-in HDTV tuner(?) In any case if you need to add more HDMI cables to the mix, save yourself some money and pick up something just as good from monoprice.com or amazon (amazon basics brand). They work just as well as your overpriced monster cable.

LG Blu Ray (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Philips receiver

Cable box (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Phillips receiver

Phillips Receiver (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) LG HDTV

*speakers will have same connections to receiver as you have now

Again, if you have left anything out, especially regarding the lack of a cable box, please let me know and I can tweak your setup.

Collapse -
thx!
by JULIT0 / January 27, 2013 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Paragraphs!! ;) (j/k)

thx for da uick respond!...i would def check out da website u mentioned...as for cable i got da basic one(comcast)

Collapse -
Basic cable = no cable box, or (?)
by Pepe7 / January 27, 2013 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: thx!

Basic cable meaning you have no box, or you do have a cable box(?)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.