Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Home Network Printing Problem

by lillysjoy / March 16, 2006 3:31 AM PST

I am having a problem printing on a home network. The printer is connected by USB to a desktop and is also installed as a network printer on a laptop. The network is set up and running properly - the laptop can connect to the internet via the desktop and file sharing between the two PCs operates normally. The printer can be seen on both PCs - on the desktop it is set up as a shared printer while on the laptop it is a network printer (with the icon underlined in yellow). When I send a print job from the laptop it appears in the print queue on the desktop with status as printing but the job never prints. I have installed and reinstalled the printer on both machines, installed a new driver and tried setting the printer to printing direct rather than spooling but all to no avail. Can anyone help please? OS is Windows XP Home SP2.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Network Printing Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Network Printing Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Running..
by jackintucson / March 16, 2006 6:38 AM PST

printers on a network require specific protocols. Your's may not have them.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Spoolsv.exe
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 16, 2006 8:24 PM PST

Make sure the Spoolsv.exe service is running in the background on both machines.

Right click My Computer and select Manage.

In the Computer Management control, select Services and Applications > Services and in the right hand pane scroll down to ''Print Spooler''. If it is not listed in both computers as automatic or started in Status, right click the entry and select Properties.

In the Properties dialogue, under ''Startup type:'', select Automatic.

I would also make sure the printer is ''shared'' in both computers. (Start > Printers & faxes). If the display is list, or details, change the display to Thumbnails and see if the printer icon has the little hand below it. If not, right click the icon and under Properties > Sharing tab, make sure the printer has the same name and is shared.

See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Home Network Printing Problem
by lillysjoy / March 16, 2006 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: Spoolsv.exe

Mark,

Thanks - your input is much appreciated. Did everything you suggested and all checked out. Still can't print from laptop - job just sits in print queue with the status of "printing". Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Try reinstalling the wireless driver.
by Modemmogul / March 16, 2006 10:53 PM PST

I just finished setting up a wireless network at home and experienced the same problem. Can you see and open the host computer(desktop)printers in the workgroup. If you can then the computers are communicating and it might be a name problem. They have to be the same on both computers. But after exhausting just about everything else I decided to reinstall the 54g wireless LAN W450 driver that came with my HP. After a reboot the notebook could see the printers on the desktop and it printed correctly. I can only assume the driver had been written over during the setup with XP. However after accomplishing this task I now can see the benefits of having a print server. You would not have to have your main machine online to print. This has all been new info to me but maybe the driver reinstall might help.
Modem

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.