Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Home Network Advise - Please Help

by Methodman1 / May 23, 2005 1:01 AM PDT

Hi all,

I just recently moved into a house, and would like to set up a home network. The following is what I currently have:

1. Cable Internet connection
2. Xbox Live
3. PS2
4. Tivo

My Internet connection is on the second floor of the house, and my TV (w/Xbox, PS2, Tivo) is downstairs.

What would be your suggestion on how to get all of these components tied together? I was thinking wireless, but I'm not convinced that it is the way to go considering wireless is interfered with by 2.4GHz phones, which we just purchased. Also, I was told by a salesperson at "Best" Buy that Tivo needs a "certain" type of wireless device which they did not carry.

I've never had high speed internet, therefore I'm totally new to this stuff. Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Network Advise - Please Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Network Advise - Please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First step is searching this forum
by Melati Hitam / May 23, 2005 4:04 AM PDT

try this keyword:

Xbox network, tivo network, ps2 network

many discussion about those thing are available here.

If by reading those discussion, you still need more information, then don't hesitate to ask...

I quote:
'I've never had high speed internet, therefore I'm totally new to this stuff. Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated'

Its not much different between dial up and high speed internet network... mostly just speed...

Good Luck

Collapse -
Suggestions
by mdowen / May 23, 2005 7:24 AM PDT

Depends on a couple of things:
a:- can you run a cable between the upstairs and downstairs and
b:- What kit you have for the internet connection.

The easy (cheap) way to do it might be to but a hub/ switch downstairs that the PS2 etc connect to. Run a cable from the hub to the internet connection (straight into the router if it has a spare port or into a hub which connects to the modem).
To make it wireless, you would need a wireless bridge on the downstairs hub, and an access point or wireless router at the net connection (set into bridging mode, also known as point to point).
Think this should work as it emulates what the expensive game adaptors do, by giving the boxes direct net connection.

Collapse -
Tivo
by gAmEpLaYa / May 27, 2005 6:18 PM PDT

There's the Tivo option of connecting your box to a regular phone line once a week for updates, I'm sure that would cost extra on your phone bill however. Networking they recommend wired as well as wireless adapters, depending on your DVR model, there's like 20 something wireless and like 15 wired. Maybe this is a good place to start. I myself would like to network with Tivo to go. So I could burn my DVD shows, and not have to rely on their harddrive for storage, that sounds better than MCE2005, just my observation. Not sure about the gaming stations though. Hopes this helps any.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.