TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Home Karaoke system

by elawyer8 / March 4, 2007 5:13 AM PST

I am totally ignorant and would appreciate pointers and suggestions on which equipment and disks to buy to add Karaoke functionality to my current audio-video home system, thanks. Any education you can give me in terms of choices of types of equipment, and consequent price and functionality consequences (ease of use, availability of song titles, etc.), would be very welcome. Thank you in advance.
(By the way, I currently have the usual basic home system, with a Pioneer surround receiver feeding a 60" HDTV and Polk Audio surround speakers, fed by Sony CD changer, DVD player, and digital HD cable box.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Karaoke system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Karaoke system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Come on now...we're talking about karaoke, right?
by ahtoi / March 4, 2007 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Home Karaoke system

You don't need anything special; no one will know the difference. Everyone just want to have a good time. Just my opinion, hehe.

Collapse -
That is the question, how to have a good karaoke time
by orjfors / March 4, 2007 10:54 AM PST

I agree that there is no need for the most fancy microphone and speakers etc., I did not mean to ask for recommendations for the greatest Karaoke sound, etc. -- I think a good time can be had just with my current Polk Audio speakers and Velodyne subwoofer etc. Just that my Sony 400-CD changer is a few years old, so it does not play CD+g karaoke graphic CDs which display the synchronized lyrics on the TV screen etc. Also, convenience feature in some not-too-expensive karaoke player, such as ability for either a hard disk to hold a few thousand song titles, or perhaps a 400-CD+g karaoke changer etc., so as to be able to select via the TV screen a sequence of song titles, instead of constantly changing CDs manually, may help towards "a good time."
Anyone can share some experience here on setting up a reasonable, not-necesssarily-fancy home karaoke system?

Collapse -
Best karaoke experience requires a good mic and speakers
by kutsilyu / July 14, 2010 6:36 AM PDT

I don't agree. For best karaoke experience, good speaker sets and a good mic is required. Trust me, it helps getting a good voice coming out of the speakers if your setup is great.

Try practicing your karaoke singing for free!!

Collapse -
Mixer and Mic.
by khicon / March 5, 2007 8:15 AM PST

All you really need is a mixer and microphone. Personally, I recommend mixers from Vocopro ( or Audio 2000s at ( You can hook up these mixers to your home theater system pretty simply with some RCAs. Also, pick up a decent microphone from either Shure or Sennheiser. Can be had around $50 - $100. I know it seems like a lot, but it really adds to the experience. Quality karaoke discs don't hurt either.

Collapse -
I bought this
by HTHMAN / March 5, 2007 10:41 AM PST

A couple years ago, we wanted a home system for parties. We settled on this model. It is an all-in-one unit with outputs that you can hook to your system. The advantage is that you can throw it in the car and take it with you. Comes with a couple very nice microphones and if I remember, several disks were either included or available in a reasonable package from Ace. The sound is very good for a stand alone unit. It is a real step up from what you see at Wal-Mart and places like that for about a hundred bucks. It was worth around 300 dollars-lots of fun at parties. Stock up on booze so that someone will use it.

Collapse -
Forgot the link....sorry
by HTHMAN / March 5, 2007 10:49 AM PST
In reply to: I bought this
Collapse -
by Moon19931 / November 30, 2008 1:11 PM PST
In reply to: I bought this

I was just wondering if you could share the name of your system. I am interested in purchasing a new system and have been doing some research...the kind sold at Walmart and such stores, don't seem worth the buy. Thanks.

Collapse -
Computerized Karaoke System that is better than DVD players
by chewonit / February 4, 2009 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Karaoke

Check out

Collapse -
The total price might defeat this advantage though...
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2009 6:05 AM PST

Granted, I do realize someone could built their own ;).

FWIW, last Xmas I found a new Memorex Karaoke machine for $25 (retail $99). Finding one @ or something similar might be a way to add that part in cheaply to a HT system. YMMV.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.