TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Home Digital Music Newbie Has a Bunch Of Questions....

by soundhd / March 20, 2012 6:29 AM PDT

I am looking into adding high end digital music streaming to my high end home audio system.
Been looking around on the internet and sometimes one gets over loaded on the info out there.
Would like to be able to use a digital player...lots of manf. are coming out with them now....Bryston, Cambridge, Sim-Moon among others.....Want to be able to connect a external hard drive to the player and also be able to use my home router to be able to connect to other systems in the house.
Currently I have ITunes on my desktop computer with about 2200 tracks (my favorite music tracks from my personal music CD collection) in a "wav" format mainly for using my IPod in my vehicles, and playing music on my audio systems I have in the house.....they all have some sort of an IPod dock for that purpose.
Questions:
What are the different ways for "controlling" the digital music playing system? We do have a couple laptops with "wifi" on them. Would hate to have to buy a new phone or some sort of "Pad" just for remote controlling...
I have a cell phone but just a basic one.....not a big cell phone user......

What is the best software to use for recording, burning, playing the music files?

Does the software get loaded in the player, the laptop, etc...?

Can the wav files in my Itunes be copied or transfered? Would hate to have to re-record/burn whatever it is called now all over again......

What is/are the best way to record new music files to get the best audio quality? Certain types of CD/DVD drives, etc....

I know I will need some sort of DAC between the digital music player and my audio system(s) and a music file wireless streaming device connected to the router in some way...
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand it all....
thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Digital Music Newbie Has a Bunch Of Questions....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Digital Music Newbie Has a Bunch Of Questions....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
AV forums is a good place too
by Pepe7 / March 21, 2012 12:29 AM PDT

It's probably a better forum for those higher end digital streaming systems, especially the nitty gritty on wich features actually work and which might work well for your particular needs. If you want some decent feedback on the lower priced stuff though (like WD Live, etc.), you could ask about those devices here, along with iPods, etc.

I'll pop back later with more comments on your other questions. Might be easier to separate them into a few posts instead of one though. They take us in many different directions ;).

Collapse -
Answer
Some answers
by Pepe7 / March 21, 2012 12:45 AM PDT

Some dedicated digital audio players can be networked, some cannot. Ditto for adding storage/connecting an eternal drive. You would have to do some legwork to find one that does the degree of networking/storage that you require. I'd look around at www.avforums.com for some good info on what high end systems are being used there by folks.

Similarly, some may have apps for smartphones, or simply may use old fashioned but reliable dedicated remote controls. Again, this depends on which model you are looking at.

Since you are referring to obtaining a dedicated player, you would not necessarily require separate software just to play since the new hardware would do this. Ripping/burning, etc. could be done on some models, but this is usually done on PCs so you can control the process better (bitrates, file formats, etc.). There are entire forums dedicated to discussion the ripping/burning trappings.

You could simply transfer the WAV files as to not have to re-rip your original CDs. What's considered 'best' software/hardware to use for ripping new music is somewhat subjective since there are hundreds of options/permutations to try. Some folks like Samsung drives and others like Liteon, etc. Sort of like Coke/Pepsi ;).

Acquiring a separate streaming device might not be necessary if you find some sort of all in one unit, unless you are requiring a model that does video as well. And a separate DAC might not be necessary if you like what the player can do natively. I would start out by first learning about what capabilities there are in the marketplace, then apply them to what you really want to achieve with your home system.

Collapse -
Answer
Forgot one link
by Pepe7 / March 21, 2012 2:17 AM PDT

The Olive system is popular if you have deep pockets.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.