Phones forum

General discussion

Home Cell phone Conversion

by atonausar / March 31, 2008 6:44 PM PDT

I want to drop my land line and use one of my "Family Talk" lines as my home phone number. However with young children and teenagers in the house, I prefer to use my current home phone system (wireless) to reduce their exposure to cell phone radiation. (

Is there a device on the market that will convert an incoming/outgoing cell phone signal through a traditional land line? It should connect through some means to a standard land line rj12 telco cable to interface with any land line system.

I have a magicjack in place already, but if I have to keep the cell phone for emergencies (i.e. loss of power or isp.), it makes more sense to maximize the cell phone while addressing the health concerns associated with excessive cell phone use in adolescents and teen agers.

Any help with this issue would certainly be of great help to me and probably to a lot of other folks too.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Home Cell phone Conversion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Home Cell phone Conversion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please detail.
by Kees Bakker / March 31, 2008 7:04 PM PDT

What exactly is "family talk"? And what is your ideal configuration of family talk, traditional land line, wired phone, classic wireless phone (DECT), and cell phone? I don't understand what you want to reach, although right now I'm afraid it can't be done.

Collapse -
in reply to Kees
by atonausar / April 1, 2008 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Please detail.

Thank you for your response I will clarify. With my current AT&T wireless plan - "Family Talk" we have five telephones sharing 1400 minutes per month with about 3400 rollover minutes.

At home we are using the VOIP phone offered by our ISP cable provider. I want to drop the VOIP. It works obtensively like a regular land line. A standard telco jack connect to the cable modem on one end and to the base unit of a three phone cordless system on the other.

I want to use one of the AT&T lines that I am already paying for and replace the VOIP cable modem connection - then drop the VOIP altogether. Most importantly I want to answer and place calls in my home using a low intensity radio frequency cordless phone and not a high intensity microwave frequency cell phone.

I would find it incredibly odd if I am the only person looking for a hybrid - in home - cell phone to land line translator of this type.

Collapse -
Um, no.
by nsayer / June 4, 2009 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: in reply to Kees

Uh... It depends on your carrier, but your cell phone probably operates in the 800 MHz band and unless it's very, very old, your cordless phone operates at 2.4 GHz, 1.8 GHz or 5.8 GHz.

So if you're worried about the supposed dangers of microwave radiation, it's more likely to come from your cordless phone than your cell phone.

To be fair, though, cell phones often transmit with slightly higher power than cordless phones, though unlike most cordless phones, cell phones can reduce their power when they're close to the cell tower.

Collapse -
by apuesto1 / April 1, 2008 1:54 AM PDT

T-Mobile has the 'hotspot at home' program that has a wireless router and they also have a v-tech cordless phone that can be used with the system. go to tmobile . com and look up hotspot at home.

you'll have to change services but at least your kids brains wont be fried.

Collapse -
Cell Phone At Home
by atonausar / April 1, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

This brings me right back to the VOIP solution I wanted to circumvent. If I have to keep the cell phone anyway as a back up for the VOIP in case of power loss or ISP service outage, then I have not resolved the need to eliminate my existing VOIP - I'd just be swapping one for another. I might as well keep the magicjack.

Thanks for your response and I appreciate your input.

Collapse -
Good luck with that
by Jimmy Greystone / April 1, 2008 2:11 AM PDT

Good luck with that, because I suspect you're either going to have to roll your own solution or give up on the idea entirely.

Also, I'm not really a big believer in all of this cell phone radiation stuff. For about the past 50 years or so there have been very high energy TV signals being broadcast 24/7, and for even longer than that, there have been high energy radio signals being broadcast 24/7. The output of these signals is measured in Megawatts, and sometimes Gigawatts. Over the air TV signals have a very innate property in that they can permeate almost any structure with ease.

Anyway, anyone still alive today has been subject to bathing in this high energy EM radiation for most of, if not our entire, lives. I suspect that if they've failed to find any kind of link between these signals and negative health effects, that cell phones (which are hundreds of times weaker) are unlikely to be succeeding where everything else has failed.

Which isn't to say that they don't have a sociological and even psychological impact on people. It makes it even easier for us to be contacted no matter where we are, so it's that much harder for us to "get away" and have a little time for ourselves. THAT can have a profound impact on people's behavior. Making us more prone to the various physical results of, for example, stress, which can induce ulcers.

Anyway, getting back to your question... I think your best bet would be to try and get some kind of bluetooth adapter that can plug into an RJ-45 jack. I have no idea if such a beast exists, but you could potentially get an electronics geek to do some rewiring of a VoIP phone.

You might also be able to retrofit some bluetooth adapter into the casing of a regular phone. It would probably have to be corded, since bluetooth doesn't have the same range as cordless phones.

Ultimately, I'd say it's better to just pay the extra money to have a land line. Think of it as a safety precaution, in case all cell service is lost and you need to call an ambulance or something. Because there's no way to escape cell phone radiation... Even if you're not holding them to your head, they're still communicating with the nearest base tower. So just being within the same domicile as a cell phone means you will be exposed to some of its radiation. It's an omni-directional transmission, and it has to be strong enough to reach the nearest tower. Maybe Bob knows about how far apart the towers should be for maximum coverage, but I'd estimate one every 3-4 miles.

If you do come up with something, be sure to post back. I'd find it interesting to hear about on a purely intellectual level.

Collapse -
Nice Post - Some food for thought.
by atonausar / April 1, 2008 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck with that

Wow! That was some post! I am still holding out hope that some innovative entrepreneurial answer is just waiting to be discovered.

In any event, to respond to your tangential point - none of the cases you stated to support the safety of cell phone radiation or high energy radio transmissions - places the signal transmitter directly touching the human head for prolonged periods of time.

There is no question within the cell phone industry that the brain is heated by the microwave cell phone transmissions in the area immediately surrounding the device when the phone is held to the ear. What is still undetermined and up for debate are the medical ramifications of such exposure over time.

Collapse -
cell phone docking solutions
by peachypeach / April 1, 2008 9:22 AM PDT

Hi there,

I came across your post while searching for the same info that you're looking for. It seems that there are a few devices that convert cell phones for landline usage. Some are only compatible with certain models, and others are compatible with bluetooth enabled phones. The devices are a little expensive, and I'm still looking for something cheaper that matches my phone. You can search google for cell phone docking. Here are a couple of the ones I've found.

RCA 23200

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for (and hope I do too Happy

Collapse -
There are bluetooth cellular gateway for under $100
by kunhl / May 1, 2008 11:18 AM PDT

Check out eBay listing of product "U118" for much less then XLink & Dock-N-Talk, it is also a bluetooth cellular gateway that works with your existing house phone.

Hope it helps.

Collapse -
by samamori / August 3, 2008 2:21 AM PDT

The U118 is cheaper but doesn't work as well.... doesn't work with call waitting ... it can link to 3 cell phones but only the 1st work that comes into your home links up ... not like the XLink where all 3 work at the same time etc...

Collapse -
U118 vs Xlink
by jbconhold / September 11, 2008 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: U118

I too am looking for a bluetooth cell to home phone solution without a land line. I have researched both the products you mentioned and almost ordered the U118 today until I came across your post.

I haven't been able to find any detailed information on either product other than they both were supposed to support 3 phones, but you mentioned the U118 only worked 1 cell phone at a time ...didn't know that. Does the X link allow you to recieve more than 1 call at a time from different cell #'s? If so do you do you simply use a different hand set to answer other calls? How do you know which cell phone is ringing in? Does the X Link have both Call Waiting and CID? And how do you send or answer calls on your house handsets without dialtone? Yes...all these questions and more...but you seem to know more than anyone else out there and I have tried multiple websites that apparently don't have enough info. One more thing...if you have a house multi phone system such as Cordless W/base staion and 2 satellite phones, will this unit work on all your house phones by simply plugging in the base station? Any help you could give me would be greatly apreciated. Thanks

Collapse -
source for landlines that connect to cells
by peachypeach / April 1, 2008 9:44 AM PDT

Hi again--
I came across a website that sells landlines that connect to cells via bluetooth. It's a good starting point for research on the various Just search for cell phone docking on the smithgear webpage and various models come up.

good luck again

Collapse -
Thanks PeachyPeach
by atonausar / April 1, 2008 2:37 PM PDT

It seems that no hope is ever lost and there is always someone within reach who can help when asked politely. Kudos!

Collapse -
forward calls to magicjak #
by awjaxon / April 1, 2008 11:56 PM PDT

You say that you have a magicjak. You could just forward one of your family talk #'s to your magicjak phone #. That way any calls going to that cell phone could just be picked up with whatever physical means you are using with the magicjak.

Collapse -
Cell phone radiation does cause brain tumors so......
by ScottAG / April 2, 2008 2:46 AM PDT

Certain Cell phones emit more radiation than others and have shown to cover 80% of the brain while in use so if you can't find a very low radiation device like the Nokia N95, than the answer your looking for is so easy. Just buy a cell phone docking station which is not that expensive and about 5 different models can be found at the Frys Electronics Store and also has a model for $99.00 that comes with 2 6.0 Cordless phones. At Frys, their models will automatically connect to the cell phone once you walk in the house via bluetooth and then you can just use the cordless or regular phone. There's also 2 buttons on the phone itself that say Cell or Home and you can make calls via either line by just pressing the button.

Collapse -
VTech has one
by soychai / April 4, 2008 6:20 AM PDT

We bought a cordless phone and were belwidered at the opporuntity to use it for our cell phones, too. It also has BlueTooth. It is by VTech. It's sleek and you can add 8 stations or total it out to 8 cordless stations in your home ... something like that. We got it at BestBuy. Check it out.

VTech - 5.8GHz Expandable Cordless Phone System with Digital Answering Machine Model: LS5145 | SKU: 8480431

This sounds like what you're looking for.

Collapse -
Use a bluetooth cellular gateway, it is much cheaper
by kunhl / May 2, 2008 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: VTech has one

Buying the extra handset for VTech or similar cordless phone with bluetooth function are expensive. The extra handset costs ~ $60 - $80 each! Buy bluetooth cellular gateway and connect it with your old cordless phone set, it works just fine. Check online using keyword like "bluetooth cellular gateway" or check out eBay listing of such products. The lowest I found is "U118" on eBay. Good Luck.

Collapse -
I suggest you read some reviews first
by Pepe7 / August 4, 2008 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: VTech has one

From what I have read, these newer 5.8 GHz cordless phones with bluetooth ability are mostly 'bling' without the reliability factor you *already* get using your cellular handsets. They are handicapped in some ways, but you will want to check out the user reviews (best buy, amazonm, etc.).

Collapse -
Mobostation also a New Cell to Home Phone Converter
by verybcbee / May 1, 2008 10:53 AM PDT

I don't know if it would be too late to share the info of your topic, anyway, this is just for your information and hope that you may find it helpful.

I heard a new product recently called Mobostation which is just fit what you need, maybe you can try browsing the web site to know

Have a good try.

Collapse -
I think I have the answer
by loudone1l1 / June 16, 2009 11:38 AM PDT

I just found this device online that should do the trick. I myself am thinking about using one of these converters. Check the website out and see what you think.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.