Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Android

Question

Hoe to remove Google

by xguy03 / February 29, 2012 9:51 AM PST

How do I uninstall all google, gmail, google shopper from my htc indredible? I went to manage application but can't seem to remove it.

I hope someone answers this before 12:00 AM est.

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hoe to remove Google
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hoe to remove Google
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How deep the removal?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Hoe to remove Google

For me I remove them from my desktop and I'm done.
Bob

Collapse -
Removal
by xguy03 / February 29, 2012 9:08 PM PST
In reply to: How deep the removal?

I removed google shopper and gmail from my phone but see that I can't eliminate google entirely. It is my factory search engine and if I need free navigation it's google! I guess it's google or nothing with htc and Verizon!

Thanks

Collapse -
Which begs the question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Removal

Why did you get an Android phone? Google is the OS's maker so all their stuff is in there.
Bob

Collapse -
Begs the question
by xguy03 / March 1, 2012 5:34 AM PST

Ha ha, yes I found that out. The reason I got the Android was because at the time, that was top of the line at Verizon and the fastest with the 2.2 snap dragon processor. It was the first I heard about the deadline and the privacy issues with Google and was trying to drop them before midnight. I cleared google from my pc, but You Tube is Google and I guess there's no getting around it!

Collapse -
Begs the question
by xguy03 / March 1, 2012 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Begs the question

Also, Almost 2 years ago there wasn't a privacy issue with Google.

Collapse -
But then you got a cell phone. Did you read this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2012 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: Begs the question
Collapse -
But then
by xguy03 / March 1, 2012 9:30 AM PST

Bob thanks for the link. I remember when it made headlines and now understand it better. This is some scary stuff and privacy laws should be in place and enforced if at all possible.
And people were talking " big brother is watching you" over 40 years ago?!! I think I'll get a cb, ham radio and an old crank military phone....least I won't be under contract!! lol

Collapse -
There are good rules about big brother. My worry is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2012 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: But then

All the "little brothers" that have sprung up. Dare we write about the GPS Insurance tracking units?
Bob

Collapse -
Not in Canada
by Mergatroid Mania / March 29, 2012 9:55 AM PDT

FYI, both Rogers and Telus in Canada say none of their devices have Carrier IQ or any such software installed on them.

When I read this thread I almost ****. I checked into it, and because I'm on Telus I'm not worried about it any longer.

Collapse -
Canada and custom roms don't have it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2012 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Not in Canada
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.