Computer Help

General discussion

hit sleep or hiber wanted reboot for update wont turn on now

by colliedogg / February 25, 2013 7:08 AM PST

I have tried replacing ram, hard reset, starting from back up disk,nothing seems to work. anything would help at this point

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hit sleep or hiber wanted reboot for update wont turn on now
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hit sleep or hiber wanted reboot for update wont turn on now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most IBM 370's don't have that feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 7:18 AM PST

You may want to tell more. As it stands it sounds like it needs repairs.
Bob

Collapse -
explanation
by colliedogg / February 25, 2013 7:29 AM PST

let me be as clear as possible. My laptop was working just fine,and there was an adobe update waiting for a restart,I accidentally choose sleep or hibernate not sure which. Now when I try to power up I get the power light a few clicks whirs and maybe a beep or two,twice the same then it shuts down.

Collapse -
That's slightly better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: explanation

No make or model so let's try the generic laptop reset noted in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum.

In short, remove power, remove battery, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, release, slip in battery, apply power, wait a few seconds then try the power button.

If it doesn't power up, there is a hardware fault.
Bob

Collapse -
tried that
by colliedogg / February 25, 2013 9:05 AM PST

I have tried the easy stuff as in my original post, hard reset,replacing ram,

Collapse -
I didn't note a hard reset.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: tried that

The generic reset is not hard at all. Very safe but I can't tell if you tried it.

If the machine is still unresponsive it's a hardware failure. Given the story and only what I read it could be some charger/old battery story but there's only what you wrote.
Bob

Collapse -
yes
by colliedogg / February 25, 2013 9:15 AM PST

Yes I have tried it more than once,I'm not sure how I got a hardware failure from a software update.

Collapse -
laptop
by colliedogg / February 25, 2013 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: tried that

acer extensa 5420-5687 amd turion 64 tl-58,

Collapse -
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: laptop

That's nearly the same as a model we had in the family. If you look around I think this came out in 2007 so you are looking at a very old laptop. It did well to last this long.

Again, your details are far too slim. If you wrote about how the battery was not holding a charge I'd write to leave it out and about how leaving it in can fry the mainboard or power brick. But details are too slim.

At least it lasted a good long time.
Bob

Collapse -
??
by colliedogg / February 25, 2013 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: Small world.

There wasnt much to tell the computer was working fine no problems of any kind,it wanted to restart after a adobe update so I was going to hit restart and hit sleep I think and it never came back on again just try's to start, a few noises no screen does this twice then powers off.

Collapse -
!! more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: ??

Try it without the battery.

I see dropping hints to get more isn't working. Do the generic reset but don't put in the battery. What happens?
Bob

Collapse -
new
by colliedogg / February 25, 2013 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: !! more.

same thing

Collapse -
So the lights blink?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: new

It must be the exact same thing or my thought about this changes.

Once we determine it's the same, we can remove the optical drive. ALL RAM and the HDD and see if it will power up. Yes it won't work but we are giving it the last chance.
Bob

Collapse -
yes I believe it is the same
by colliedogg / February 25, 2013 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: So the lights blink?

It sounds like it checks the HDD then the OD makes a couple of noises then repeats then shuts down,stays on longer if I put in the recovery disk, as it seems to try and read it, but does the same thing twice then shuts down.

Collapse -
(NT) yes the lights blink
by colliedogg / February 25, 2013 9:54 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Since it's not staying, you remove more parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 10:06 AM PST
Collapse -
laptop
by colliedogg / February 25, 2013 9:30 AM PST
In reply to: Small world.

I have a new acer since the last one did work well for a long time,and I have a 1TB external HD for my pics and things so I didnt lose much of anything there were just a couple of things I would have liked to recover but nothing really important,Thanks for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.