Windows Vista forum

History Isn't Saving Adult Sites

by amsuco / January 22, 2012 3:44 PM PST

I'm running Vista Home Basic and I like to take it back to the "out of the box" factory configuration once or twice a year and then reload my software (just to speed things up). Since I did that the last time, I notice that History isn't saving any of the adult sites that I visit. If I had kids that I was trying to protect that would be fine. But it's just me and I want History to remember everywhere I go. What setting do I need to change? I'll be darned if I can find it! Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: History Isn't Saving Adult Sites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: History Isn't Saving Adult Sites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Which browser?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 8:06 PM PST

You''re not likely to find too much help here for 'adult sites', but on a new reinstall I'm guessing the browser privacy settings are too high.

Collapse -
Privacy Settings Checked
by amsuco / January 23, 2012 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: Which browser?

That sounds like a reasonable place to start. I'm running IE9, and I just checked my Privacy setting. It's set for Medium. I honestly don't know where it has been set in the past. I just know that I didn't change that the last time I took my computer back to factory configuration.
BTW, If anybody has a problem with adult sites, just replace the word "adult" with "political" or "religious". The bottom line is that my computer is attempting to censor me, and I don't much care for it!

Collapse -
In the Privacy tab
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 7:48 PM PST

just make sure that the "Advanced" options show First Party and Third Party cookies are set to accept. Also, tick the "Always allow session cookies" option.

In addition, under the Content tab, if Content Advisor is enabled, check the settings and work down the lists, there may be relevant "Ratings" there that are preventing Cookies and so History.

Collapse -
No Go
by amsuco / January 24, 2012 12:46 PM PST
In reply to: In the Privacy tab

I looked under Advanced options but couldn't find cookie options to select. I ended up taking the more drastic step of resetting my IE 9 settings. And that didn't gain me a darn thing. The same problem was there right off the bat.
I appreciate the attempts to help me out, but I'm pulling the plug on trying to fix this bug. I've been looking forward to buying another Windows 7 machine to replace this Vista one. This just gives me one more reason to make it happen sooner rather than later. Thanks again though. Your efforts and input are appreciated!

Collapse -
And there's another problem
by Jimmy Greystone / January 23, 2012 9:03 PM PST

And there's another problem. Setting aside any views on the type of site (personally I don't care what consenting adults do in their own homes as long as it's not illegal), let's just say adult sites are generally less... Upstanding... Internet citizens. Typically far more willing to sell out visitors to their sites for a quick buck than almost anyone else, and less discerning about any ads they may run on the site to help fund it. So using Internet Explorer in conjunction with these sites is a rather bad idea. Using Internet Explorer in general is a bad idea, but using it on adult sites is like taking that target on your back and making it into a flashing neon sign and adding the words "Shoot me!"

We could go round and round about why Internet Explorer is the primary source of malware in the world, but ultimately it doesn't really matter. It won't change the fact that the more you use Internet Explorer, the greater the odds of you picking up malware. Adult sites or no, it still holds true, it just increases the odds if adult sites are involved.

You really should consider another browser. There are at least 4 major alternatives, so you can take your pick. You've got Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera. Pretty much everything else out there is either based on Internet Explorer (so doesn't really help in the one place it counts: security) or Firefox. At least that way you've added an extra layer of insulation between you and any ne'er do wells who might target adult sites. As an added bonus, there's an excellent chance that it will fix your issue as well.

And, if for some reason you also have a hobby studying the effects of various malware strains on your personal computer, and so want to continue using Internet Explorer... Have you checked to make sure that the InPrivate function isn't enabled? It would rather neatly explain most, if not all, of your symptoms.

Collapse -
I Understand Your Argument
by amsuco / January 24, 2012 12:37 PM PST

...and I certainly won't deny that I hear some good things about those other browsers. It's just that I'm a creature of habit. I probably won't make a change unless I have to.

Collapse -
By and large
by Jimmy Greystone / January 24, 2012 9:59 PM PST

By and large, one web browser is pretty much like any other web browser. They haven't really changed all that much since the original Mosaic (graphical) web browser. You have your back and forward buttons, stop and reload, you click on links with the mouse... That's like 90% of a web browser right there. The rest is just learning some of the minor differences in how they look.

In any event, did you check to see if InPrivate mode was enabled on IE? I've seen that thing cause a lot of weird problems.

Collapse -
Just FYI
by Jimmy Greystone / January 22, 2012 9:21 PM PST

Just FYI, formatting and reinstalling really doesn't do anything to speed up a computer. It's all in your head. Things seem faster initially because you just spent all that time with a fairly slow moving progress bar for the copying of files. So compared to that, things "feel" a lot faster when you're done. You could achieve the same basic result by figuring out how to underclock your CPU by about 25% and then reverting those changes. Maybe take out half the RAM while you're at it.

If you took a stopwatch and timed certain events, the differences would be well within the margin of error I'd be willing to bet. If they weren't, they wouldn't exactly be anything to write home about.

It's your time to waste, so if that's how you like spending it, there are certainly worse things you could be doing. At the same time though, there are probably plenty of better, or at least other, ways you could be spending that time.

Collapse -
Maybe, Maybe Not
by amsuco / January 23, 2012 11:40 AM PST
In reply to: Just FYI

I'm not enough of a computer geek to say that you are wrong. I WILL say that I wasn't terribly impressed with anything that I gained this last time I did it. But in the past (and I've been doing this for well over a decade) I often felt like I gained a little something when I started over.
I see it much the same as housecleaning. It's just a good idea to do it every once in a while. But I appreciate the response!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.